Minimalism 1AA light

Someone gave me a bag of old CR123 cells a few months ago… so I put one in my Olight S-Mini Ti since it’s the only light I have which can use that cell type. And I’ve been using the light a lot.

On a 16340 cell, this light would typically last for about a month between charges. But with CR123, it has been like 4 months already. It really seems to pull all the juice out of these things!

For AA, I use up old cells with a L3 L10-219. For AAA, I use a DQG Tiny or an Old Lumens memorial light.

With all these CR123 cells though, and how long each one seems to last, it might take a very long time before I run out.

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster :exploding_head:

From what i understand Alkaleaks leak when they are empty and stored that way. The ones that leak before being used have self drained. That said i agree that Duracells seem to be the worst offender, but i have seen all brands leak.
I have even seen NiMH leak, though its a lot less damage done. Except Eneloop, my luck has been good that i have never seen one leak yet. Or Ikea Ladda since i have not had any as old as the other brands, all mine are under 5-6 years old.

I prefer rechargeable batteries, except I still use 9V alkaline batteries in my smoke detectors.

I am curious if anyone has been satisfied after using the battery “no-leak guarantee” offered by Energizer:

Energizer® No Leak Guarantee

Also, in the United States prior to 1996, many batteries contained mercury to prevent the buildup of internal gases that caused battery leaks:

Mercury in Batteries | US EPA

Olight seems to have good drivers for C123’s

On page 3 in the C123a datasheet, top right.

The voltage curve is pretty stiff and cuts like a cliff at the end. Other chemistries have a bigger slope.

Also after 50 years it should have still 50% capacity IF this
“Low self-discharge with long operating life
(<1% after 1 year of storage at + 20 °C)”
scales :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Thank

Here are some updates:
the 3d printed shell didn’t go very well, because the different brand AA has different size. I have tried a few different designs and materials, didn’t find the best one yet.

on the electronics side, I got the ZXLD381 and a small 15uH inductor, it works, but draw 160mA at 1.5V, not sure what’s going on.

2 Thanks