MiniReview: "Boker" 20cm long stainless steel folding knife

The world is fun because there are alot of different things and flavors. The one cent is symbolic and cannot really be considered a payment.

To me gifting knives looks just wrong, iv'e been rised that way. Don't you think buying a set of big kitchen knifes as a wedding gift would be appropriate? Looks like Woody Allen style of humor.

I don't see gifting knives as being wrong but that's just me. Every country has their own superstitions which I understand completely because I grew up in the Philippines and the Philippines has A LOT of superstitions. The link below is something I just read and had no idea about the different superstitions.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061215114506AAMVyL2

Very, very interesting read though.

I looked at some videos and your review on multitool.org jekostas and I really liked the 763 but keep 'em coming guys so I have lots to choose from. Thanks.

The 763 is on my shortlist of knives to have. Along with the huge navy K603 which i like the looks, but it is a bit worse quality than SRM knives.

Hi Pete,

Since one of your main purposes will be in very wet conditions (hence your name). I would think twice about the steel choice you are going to get with SRM knives. 8Cr13MoV might not react so well with salt water , or you have to dry it good after your fishin' trip. Also you should not look after a good knife.... but a good knife for your intended purposes. Do you want to gill fish with it?

A few things you might consider:

1. What is my main usage... is it a work knife, pocket knife edc, collectible....(maybe all three)

2. What kind of blade shape do I want, flat ground or hollow ground....

3. What kind of steel do I want 420,440, 440a, 440C, 8Cr13MoV

4. What size do I want small (mini), medium (edc), large (larger blades)

If I were in your place and with your access to that very nice hobby of yours( I am a little jealous... scratch that, I am very jealous ;-) ), I would look for non-metallic scales ( slippery and cold outdoors) ... maybe rough textured G10 scales maybe... good jimping (better grip)... finger grooves/ choils (also better traction).... easy one-handed opening... in other words a SRM763 might be better than a SRM710... it depends very much what your usage will be...

With my first locking folding knife I made every mistake, that I could possibly have done just because I was going for the looks.

Tanto blade - hate it ... pretty much useless ... unless for "tactical" use

Aluminium Scales - grip could be better and not good outdoors in cold conditions

black blade - looks ugly after sharpening... at least after my very unprofessional sharpening skills

I would go with the SRM 763. Very litte to fault. Decently sized and not very big. Axis locking mechanism and preferably a G10 handle. And i like the design. Ther rest is top notch at the price as i had pleasure to read.

It looks like I'm going for the GB-763. I really like the looks and design a lot. It looks like it will be a very good edc. I also watched a couple videos and this looks like it could be the one.

Thanks guys.

Good choice, but you are not a small guy... so you won't have small hands... is a 3 - 3 1/2 finger grip big enough for you? If not look at the 900 Series...

Sounds good. I'll check the 900 series out. Thanks Vectrex

Also available here at a good price especially if ordered more than 1. With MF quality or service i would not bother buying this one elsewhere.

For some unknown reason the image was probably banned from imageshack... i don't have the original to reupload...

I hope I haven't opened a door better left shut, but thanks to jekostas' well written and beautifully illustrated review on multitool.org I have ordered a 763. I've been thinking about getting a small but very functional knife for every day tasks but had not gotten around to even looking for one. And here jekostas hands me the answer and I didn't even have to look for it. Darn you jekostas. Don't ever do that again, at least not until next week!

That's the spirit! You know there are alot of ways of spending your hard earned money just by reading BLF which is going to have a BRCSF fork (BudgetRandomCheapStuffForum).

I have two other SRM reviews on that site. I don't think they're quite as good as the 763, but the 704 and the T01A are pretty cool as well.

Good reviews jekostas... do you know if the dual sided thumbstuds on SRMs are screwed together or riveted? I know the single sided thumbstuds are screwed in... tried it with a 905.

No, that's not the same knife as in the op. It's the smaller brother. EDIT: Well, maybe not the smaller brother but a very similar twin.

The thumbstuds are screwed in, they can be removed with a couple of pairs of needlenose pliers.

Thanks, very useful info with regard to the German knife laws.

Strange as it looks and measures like the one i have. Where do you spot the differences?

Different clip, different pivot screws, handle is shaped differently (there's jimping on the top thumbrest on the DX model), four choils vs. three on the DX model... actually they're completely different.

You sir have an awesome attention to details. Took me a while to spot the differences but they were as you described. I wuld not say they are tottaly different more like a different brew from the "original" (the word original sounds really wrong in that statement).