[Mod] Convoy S2+ Mini - triple XPL with sideswitch *opinions needed*

Here’s a pic with my first attempt at a switch cover (the tape is temporary to allow me to check the fit and switch tension):

The cover itself is made out of 0.032” aluminum sheet cut and bent into place. The raised ring around the button is a strip of the same sheet glued into place with super-glue. The button is a standard switch button cut and trimmed to fit.

I decided to go with a small recessed switch button as a safety measure. Since this light gets VERY hot at max power and since I wish to remove the tailcap switch, I want to minimize the chance of accidental pocket activation. The button itself is also relatively stiff. Even then, if I EDC this, I’d likely leave the light at low power when not on to minimize risk of accident. As-is, I’d rate this switch as being less likely to accidentally turn on in the pocket than any of my stock side-switch lights, including the Zebralight SC52.

Once I’m satisfied I’ll do the final finishing touches to the switch:

• Remove the tape and glue the switch plate into place with arctic alumina.
  • Fill in all cracks at the edges of the switch plate with arctic alumina or green stuff epoxy.
  • File down the epoxy and any rough edges on the switch plate.
  • Paint the switch paint to match the body anodizing as close as possible. It won’t look as good as the anodizing, but should look close enough to roughly match.

Once that is complete then I’ll work on couple tailcaps:

• Short tailcap - remove the switch and saw off most of the cap, add a copper backplate and spring, paint to match. Should shorten the entire light by at least 1 cm, while still allowing the light to fit 18500.
  • 18650 tailcap - remove the switch while slightly lengthening the tailcap. Add baseplate and spring. This one will be harder to do since glue alone won’t hold against the spring pressure. Goal will be to make a tailcap that allows the light to run on 18650 in as small a package as possible.

I often tinker with my lights even when they are “complete”. I wouldn’t be surprised if even after I complete all the above I make and try out alternate switch covers or other things.