Mod - Crelant 7G10 (Pic Heavy)

I will and post here on your thread if that’s ok?! :wink: It’s just where it falls in the line up of my winter mods? (2) Courui’s (3) Jax’s X6’s (1) BTU Shocker (2) Uranusisonfire 818’s (2) SD75’s (1) Crelant 7G10 and my ever evolving TK61 XHP70 build? That’s if nothing else comes along to make the list longer? Got to have something else to do during a Michigan winter besides hunting and ice fishing! :bigsmile: Thanks ImA4Wheelr :beer:

My SUPER “G” (7G10) MOD 8) The bank of R056’s were wiped off and wire/solder jumped, the (3) FET’s replaced with RMM’s N Channel MOFSET’s DPAK-2’s. The driver+ via, soldered up with 18awg, to make the post contact, 18awg to the LED lead, 18awg grnd. I made a aluminum heat sink with a 16mm x.700mm deep pocket,(press fit) to allow half the emitter board to be exposed to center the reflector. Added a brass post to the battery carrier, and bypassed all springs. The MT-G2 is pulling 9.6 amps on VTC5’s, 9amps on 25R’s and the driver still retains the smooth ramping 2 level UI which is outstanding to me!!! How could this thing NOT be LOVED! :bigsmile:

I bet that really awoke the the full potential of that light! Well done! Has the ramping been effected in its reliability of operation?

Woops almost forgot? Again who couldn’t love this thing? :heart_eyes:

No FP smooth as silk! I just could NOT give up on it because of the UI! The earlier problems of the rapid lumen drop with the XHP-70 was due to poor heat sinking, I just got some 16mm XHP-70 boards, and will try the 90cr XHP-70 again. Just enjoying this one for now!!! :wink:

Excellent work. You ripped all the weaknesses out of the light and kept it's strengths. Well done.

I'll be copying much of what you did on my next 7G10.

Thanks ImA means alot coming from you and FP!! It is one of my favorites now! The reflector of the 7G10 is coated much better than most or any OP reflectors I have seen, way better than the SD75! The beam of the 7G10 is as close to perfection as I have seen! Truly a diamond in the rough! The only gripe I have is with the battery carrier springs , way too soft, but I’ll remedy that too!! It’s a great driver to bad more aren’t made using this, absolutely love the smooth ramping and simple 2 level UI, which is all you really need in a big light and could be easily tuned down by adding resistors. :wink:

Thanks again for your comments. I also noted the high quality reflective surfaces on my G9 and G10. They appear to be right on par with Fenix and Olight flagship lights, which can easily provide +20% or more lux over lesser reflectors of the same shape and size. Id say we all scored big-time for the price of these lights as mod hosts. Your explanations and pics make it very easy to replicate your work for almost anyone able to solder… so MAJOR kudos go to you for sharing this one with us!

As an aside, I also enjoyed reading about how you built a simple precision jig to slice the dome off your XHP70 mod. The pic looks like Cree performed the mod at their research center while ignoring the rest of us!! |( Damn you!!! :bigsmile:

Well done on the mod. I love the way you guys mod drivers to do what you want.

Im ogling over my G10 and considering a XHP35 HI mod with the 4S carrier conversion. Does anyone know if a smooth reflector was aver made for this light… or which vendor might be the best to ask?

Any thoughts on this one? :slight_smile:

Hmmm, depth is there in spades. So probably any 80ish mm reflector should be doable. I think the Lum5-90 (I think it's called that) is or can be cut back to 80mm. Much shallower so you would get a ton more spill. For throw, I think FT has a really cheap 80mm, but it if actually a pretty nice reflector with lots of throw. Damn you Flash. Now you got me thinking moddie thoughts.

Thanks Mr. 4wheeler! I found the 78mm FT reflector but it appears to be built more for flood than throw. The lum 5-90 has a fasceted finish. Looking again at the stock 7G10 reflector, this just might do the trick for the project after all. It has about the lightest OP Ive ever seen on a reflector and almost not worth making it so. I recall that someone dedomed an Olight SR51 a while back and reported excellent throw results; considering what it was. Comparing my SR51 reflector, its much smaller than the 7G10 but carries roughly the same proportions, but with a much heavier OP finish. Id imagine the stock G10 reflector just might surprise us.

KawiBoy recommended that I contact Crelant and inquire about a smo relfector for my mod, so my quest shall begin there.

Of course we arent happy if we arent modding something useful, and its your thread that got me started! :smiley:

Thanks for your help 4W and Kawi! I’ll report back as things progress…

I emailed a rep at Crelant, who it turns out was already quite familiar with my user name. All good things I hope! :smiley: They dont have a smooth reflector for this light and the 7G10 is currently out of production for the time being. After they return from the Chinese Spring Festival and things settle down, we’ll take another look and maybe they’ll fab a smooth reflector for testing (they make their own reflectors in house). Even more to celebrate is that the rep seems educated and has shown some tact with good communication skills during our short email conversations.

After all the agreeable suggestions Ive communicated with several other manufactures in how to improve their existing hosts and produce a superior product, Crelant may be just the one to actually pull it off. The market is ripe for a moderately priced, short fatty that can throw a large beam way out there, while properly managing 35W of continuous heat, long run times and retain a simple mod friendly design. All this, while utilizing most any moderate matched ICR cells, since it will draw only about 2.8A from each. Beyond all the minor obvious updates to the existing host, I have several others I wont mention now to prevent the competition of taking note. I believe sheer performance over long max power duration (2.5A to the emitter - continuous), quality, simplicity, immense functionality and price point should sell this one like hotcakes.

Its time to stop buying expensive disappointing flagship lights that require enormous modifications to make them function properly while still having to restrict run times and/or power levels to prevent overheating!

Fingers crossed, and I’ll update in about a month if this actually sprouts wings.

Good job! :wink: Amazing how some of these Manufacture’s Tech’s are so responsive, friendly and knowledgeable! Specially if your willing to share your findings! Crelant has a great quality OP reflector compared to Lumintop SD75 and the K60, finish wise and not a overly aggressive OP finish! And a seriously brighter, mirror chrome like coating. (compared to the dull like finish of the latter) I know some say that you don’t lose that much Lux, cd, but it has to do with the finish. Case in point, my SD75 looses 15,000+ Lux switching between OP and Smooth reflectors in the same light. Maybe not a big deal to some, but I’m looking to get the best I can from a light in terms of reach! (I’m not hunting white walls) It would be great to see Crelant make you a few Smooth reflectors, just to see, in that case it might not be that much of a loss? IMHO (Crelant), that’s the way to do OP! Way to go with your SHMOOZING SKILLs!! :bigsmile:

^

Big +1. Sounds great FP. Looking forward to what you and Crelant think up. Like the way you are thinking. It would be awesome if the light could accept an extention tube. The option for 8 cells on a big emitter light would be a big plus.

@KawiBoy1428
I (we) have you to thank for this, becasue it was your suggestion that I contact them. Ive noted several times how important a well designed and well finished reflector are… the lux meter doesn’t lie, and Ive compared many. I also took heed of the Lumintop SD75 reflector pic you showed me and had the same observations. From its inception in the GB thread, I was skeptical on many points of shoddy design and poor craftsmanship and didnt buy one. IMO, the OP didnt inspire confidence and was high on getting a free light at all costs. The same goes for the Convoy L2 in XHP. I already voiced my opinions in how to greatly improve it in the info thread but it got buried very quickly. People will buy these lights, complain, mod the hell out of them and still not be satisfied. Maybe we can knock one out of the park with Crelant this time and later explore the realm of active cooling in subsequent high powered multi XHP models. For now, its baby steps in helping their company to become profitable and competitive while producing an affordable, well engineered mega-thrower that outperforms the latest modified enthusiast level lights. They have proven their build quality and finish but fell short in a few key areas that they are well capable of rectifying.

I had considered the Fenix TK61 as a platform, but the host is far lacking in thermal management capabilities at such power levels and would require a complete redesign. I also doubt Fenix would build a heavyweight since all of their large lights have always been manufactured to a light weight thin walled standard. The K50 and its upcoming variant are failures before they ever hit the shelves… and never again will I trust anything from that company after all their blatant lies. If I recall, what the TK61 did on 2.2A is what the K50 does at 5A… oh what a reflector Fenix makes! Lessons learned can always be replicated and approximated. Lets give Crelant a chance to make a name for themselves in this possible venture and force the competition to follow. If not, I’ll contact a few others before I finally decide to give up and roll my own!

So its, “if you dont shmooze, you lose!!!” :smiley: If a manufacturer shows an interest, I’ll jump in with both feet and give them 100… and Im sure you and many others (with a good amount of personal build/mod experience) will have other cost saving, innovative performance related ideas. Also time to rethink the happy collar to brighten things by an additional +10. :bigsmile:

Great idea! You guys inspire me. If the host turns out as I have imagined (additional DEEP cooling fins around the shelf area and constant thick walled throughout the head to use the entire surface to exchange heat) an extension tube and separate battery carriers for 4S1P, 2S2P, 1S4P (depending on application) would be fantastic for max driven XHP 50 & 70. In fact, this could possibly be sold as a modular design with separate pills and reflectors for different upgrade paths… or possibly an entire optional kit. The lego lights are always successful if well engineered and priced properly.

There also needs to be a discussion of in-factory dome shave of XHP70 emitters, especially if KawiBoy would like to share his expertise from the other thread.

Its all a dream at this point, but hopefully things will come to fruition with the initial XHP35 HI build.

I know lot of time has passed but I still got a stock 7G10. Plan on using a Texas Avenger LDO based triple running Narsil in this light. Stock driver is 44 mm, so probably have to sandwich one in, and could go with the 2 oz. copper thin option from OSHPark.

Dunno how to get that plastic ring by the driver spring off - could try drilling a hole or two and try prying. Can't find any mention of it anywhere??

Oh well - need to get access to check vertical clearance - gotta order the OSHPark boards, so want to be sure I get the right size.

Hi Tom. The cover is pressed in. Someone in this thread tapped the head against something firm but soft to knock his out. Or, you can drill a couple shallow holes and turn it. It should push itself out as you rotate it.

Just got back to the computer. I drilled a few holes - seemed like it was really jammed in there, but got it out - no damage. Looks like clearance to mount a piggyback driver in there. Gonna order the TA-LDO series, probably the 22 mm size in 2 oz thin, so hopefully can use more than one for another light or two.

K, just ordered the boards!

For the plastic ring over the LED, I drilled one small hole and it came out easy. Boy, see what you mean - what a waste of output with all that blockage, and big thick alum MCPCB, tiny thin wires, super thin long driver spring. The driver electronics is extremely simple too. This is typical for Crelant - over sized heavy bodies, poor on the electronics, wasteful designs. I got a few Crelant models - all pretty much the same. Outdated tech wise, but ol school, in a good way, for the host/body.