Mod - SolarStorm X2 Clone - Pic Heavy (In-Progress)

Thanks again Garry. Yes, I know those batterybacks are usually crap. I have used Panasonics for years and won’t chance :slight_smile: That 2.4A in stock is quite good. SS X2 is forgotten now :slight_smile:

Hi All,

I know this is a really old thread, so hopefully some of you are still around :slight_smile: I have had some SSX2’s for many years, and have kept them going with some repairs and new batteries over the years. I recently got motivated to give my whole MTB light setup an overhaul, so I purchased some new SSX2s and also built some much better battery packs. The new lights appear to have the same XML emitters, but quite a difference circuit - it is neater and more physically robust. The emitters in the new light are wired in series, with only one pair of wires coming back to the main circuit board.

The problem is the old lights are much brighter than the new lights using the same 2S battery pack - the highest setting on the new lights is roughly equivalent to the lowest setting on the old lights. My old lights are the same circuit board as shown on the first page of this thread, here are some photos of the new light circuit and emitters - can anyone tell me if it’s possible to get the brightness back? I’m comfortable with soldering etc, but I don’t have the knowledge to know what needs changing, so I really appreciate any advice!

Cheers, Matt