Modding a Maglite XL-50 It's a thrower already, can I make it better? Edit: Nope, It's done, but with a much larger center spot

Sorry to take this off topic, but I kind of thought you guys would know the answer. How would a Nichia led stack up in an aspheric flashlight?

It probably would run with a lower-binned XP-G (G1) as far as spot intensity goes (219 viewing angle is 120º; XP-G is 125º). An XP-G2 should trounce the 219 on paper.

Are you going to try another one with an Xpe2 ? Then it’ll be a throw improvement :wink:

I don’t plan on it.

Alrighty :slight_smile: looks like a pain to work on, thanks for posting your mod OL

I picked up one of these last night and it is built VERY different than O-L's sample here. The pill/module thing presses out like normal, but the pill retainer, the thing shown here as retained with a circlip, on mine IT IS THREADED, and unscrews from the tail end and comes out the rear (turn CCW if going from the rear, CW if from the front). I didn't discover this until I beat the poor thing nearly half to death trying to get the holder out... lol

OH, and the pill from the XL50 is a drop-in replacement for the 2xAA/3xAA lights, and does not contain any driver/mode circuitry as far as I can tell - nice upgrade for the older Minimag LEDs that came with the weak Luxeon 3W emitter. This XP-E pill is really too weak for 2xAA, but in my 3xAA body has better output & nicer beam than it did in the XL50!

XL50 has all the electronical gubbins contained in the tailcap, so emitter swaps will keep the original UI. Pretty neat, especially after being not very impressed with the light in stock form.