Modding the Defiant Super Thrower - Mod is done. Not worth the effort? Edit: I don't know

If you run 2x 18650 in series it will probably fry the driver. That particular driver can only handle up to 4.5v iirc

The 3 Alkalines should be 4.5v with enough oomph to let the driver regulate. It doesn’t make sense. Weird one that :frowning:

Did I read it wrong or is it not giving out as much light as expected? If the modes on the driver aren’t working right, is it possible that it’s also limiting the amperage to the emitter?

Also, this:

I’ve got an extra East-092 driver from an HD2010 laying around. I wonder how that would handle 2 x 18650.

You’ve probably hit the nail on the head. A driver issue is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Oh, for maybe a second or two under the kind of load this thing provides. They’ll be under 4V before you can say WTF!

O-L, that looks like the generic 105C from FT. Have you used that on any other build to know that low mode works? I have one sitting around but I haven't tested it out yet.

+1

If it is the FT then 2- mode should be center star and 3-mode is what he soldered. Satisfaction guarantee ought to cover it but fast tech cs still needs testing. Doesn’t explain the blank mode either.

The only think that I can think of with a blank mode is like what happens when I program a very fast PWM but don't increase the percentage to compensate. 5% at 9.4kHz PWM isn't the same as 5% at 2.4kHz.

I have used three of them. The other two worked right, but I have noticed that the Medium and Low modes just look “different” between drivers. Kind of like each one was set differently during programming. I think this one has the low mode set to zero. It switches into low from medium and switches back into high from low. Just no light. I think the driver is working, but someone just messed up the program.

FastTech would probably send me another one, but I don't think I want any more of them. I will buy the more expensive ones next time. Unfortunately, I have a couple dozen, so it will be a while... I will be testing each one out now and cull the bad ones. I should have done that before this mod, but I tend to be one tracked. I concentrate so much on one thing, I can't think of anything else. Multi tasking? Never in my life, LOL.