Modes are nice, but.........

The smaller Wubens have a 2-stage twisty switch. Off, when loosened, light pressure just makes contact for low, tighten it more for high. Quite nice.

I have a couple of Thrunite Ti’s that are set up the same way. I like them better than any other set up. My wife has one and I the other on our nitestands.

About forward clickies and momentary, it’s also possible to get a good momentary mode using an e-switch. In a couple recent firmwares, five clicks from off goes into a momentary mode using the last-memorized brightness, and it won’t exit momentary until the battery is disconnected.

But it’s also possible to use a real forward clicky and an e-switch at the same time, so the clicky always works as a momentary mode and the e-switch is used for everything else. That is supported too, though it doesn’t get tested very often.

“About forward clickies and momentary…….”.

Any of those configurations would be FABTASTIC.

We seem to be stuck for the most part still in a reverse clicky universe. When the flash world comes to its senses the venerable and now seemingly antiquated world of a 2D MagLite will show that if nothing else it had its sound concept poop together when it came to their mechanical momentary switch.

Besides the inherent practicality of your described configurations there are also those very important times when you need to be damn quiet. When you don’t need someone or something to hear even a “click” like in the dead o’ nite.

Modes are

Nitefox UT20. It’s my current EDC but may get dethroned by one of my new MH20s/MH20GTs.

The eswitch just selects modes, and the rear FC is strictly power on/off.

Doesn’t one of the Sofirns do something similar? Gawd, there are so many types now it’s increasingly hard for me to keep track of ’em all.

Sofirn SP 31

Hmm. Wasn’t sure about that, so checked online for reviews, and yeah, they say it’s a FC. I wouldda sworn mine (gen1) was a RC.

Couldn’t get used to the up’n’down modes, so gave it away.

raccoon city, I really want to know about the UI on that but am afraid to ask…

… is it a twisty?

Yes, it is.

And you should see it twist!

One mode is often enough, when the light is not too bright, like AA or AAA flashlights.
Simple ON / OFF is nice. No fuss, just light, or not.

But when you have more power available, a low mode is good to have.
For >1000 lumen lights i prefer 3 modes (10% - 30% - 100%)
For, say, >3000 lumen lights 4 modes is preferable (3% - 10% - 30% - 100%)
I often miss the ability to go back to lower modes though. I hate to have to cycle through the high modes when you want to go from low to very low.

I read many folks want ‘moon-mode’, but i see little use for it.
Maybe my night vision is not good enough for <50 lumen.

More often than not the mode spacings are not too well chosen by the driver programmers…
Strobe and SOS i would rather not have at all.
I like a beacon mode though. Could be useful if you’re lost or crashed.

I’m not a fan of ramping either.
I would prefer a slider (as some diving lights have) or ‘volume knob’ (thumb wheel could be nice) for stepless dimming, or maybe an UP and a DOWN e-switch.
But i’m fine with fixed modes.

I like my Nitecore Concept 1 UI a lot.
Long press for ON (preselected mode) and momentary Turbo (press and hold). Short press for OFF.

For a C8 i like the LD2 (or was it LD3) 3 Ampere FET constant current driver.
3 modes (no PWM) with decent spacing and a hidden strobe (as long as you can avoid it…)
Convoy store has them, Fasttech too.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for the folks that can write fabulous firmware, and i see many folks here like the many options and features, but i like a simple UI as long as it has good mode spacing.

What i would like to see more is PWM-less boost drivers.
Often for lower battery charges you miss a few millivolts to get the desired output, and it’s nice to drive a 6 or 12 Volts LED form a single cell.

….aaaanyway, my 2 cents…

Sorry raccoon, but I think you’ve got it backward. That’s not an input device, it’s an emitter. Using this device for input can get things seriously buggered up.

And remember: Just because it’s cracked doesn’t mean that it’s broke. And just because it’s a butt doesn’t mean it’s a joke. Don’t be deceived by what you have seen; just because it’s shiny doesn’t mean that it’s clean. To discover the truth just follow your nose; even when clean it won’t smell like a rose.

One last warning: This type of LED (Leftover-Emitting Derriere) may sometimes produce strange sounds or smells. Do not attempt to rectify this behavior.

:person_facepalming:

That really makes me smile!

ROFLMAO!

EDC. Lo and Hi. Simple.
Mid range C8 etc. Screw base Lockout. Ramping, starting at moon
Up and Down.
L2/L6. and up. Screw base lockout. Lo. 35% and 100%.

Zero flashes of any kind on any torch thank you.
I’ve just got that new Convoy C8+, got a zillion Bloody modes in it.
Have to figure out which driver to get to remove them.
I’ve done the one press. then 10+ Differing speeds. nothing happens.

Grrr.(Faulty??.)

Yes Macka, you’re faulty. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess 12 in American is an Australian Zillion…

No. No single mode for me, it’s almost as bad as next mode memory. Torches for me must be versatile, because it is exceptionally rare for me to use more than 30lm, and I don’t care for carrying primary lights with tiny gaunt batteries that won’t last a whole night. 18650 thus far has been my sweet spot for size, heft and capacity (let’s see how it goes for those 21700 models), and again, the usual 1000-ish lumens of max mode on them is hilariously, if not detrimentally, overkill. The only single-mode I ever used was the Fenix E01, and it’s going to stay that way.

Never had the opportunity to try a ramping UI, and lack of spending dosh impedes me from it anytime soon, though I’d certainly like to try an Emisar or something. Even then I think I’m a bit obsessed with having a stated (or at least calculable) runtime for each discrete mode XD

As for number of modes, and blinkies, that’s why programmable UI is so good. For example, my two Convoys (M1 and S2) are kept on mode group 8 with memory and almost never used at more than 1% output, and it’s reassuring that I can switch over to whatever other config I need out of the plethora available.

I think I just found one more reason to love TK :smiley:

Doesn’t seem all that difficult to me.

• JULIAN