Monster light Trustfire x100

……….

So I found that the battery tubes from my fake J18 fit the x100 just fine. So I know 2 cells work fine. But what about 5 cells? Would I fry it with that much voltage?

Call me crazy, but I would love the runtimes 5 cells would bring.

My x100 always starts in medium mode. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I thought it had a mode memory.

Edit: Actually it starts in one mode off from whatever it was last in. For example high starts medium. Medium starts low. Low starts strobe. Strobe starts SOS. And SOS starts High. Very strange.

Does anyone else’s X100 behave this way?

My BET is that it would be fine… But there is no way to be sure without
A) Finding out from the designer/manufacturer of the Driver
or
B) Trying it

My bet is based upon a few facts

1. We know it supports 4 cells (16.8V) (Manufacturer Specified)
  2. The biggest limiting factor in switch mode supplies is usually the FET (s), the DIODE (s) and the Capacitors
  3. 5 Cells would be 21V Max (4.2V * 5)
  4. It’s nearly impossible to buy a FET or a DIODE that doesn’t have at least a 30V reverse breakdown voltage - so those should be good.
  5. Capacitors usually come as 6.3, 10, 16, 25, 35 or 50V parts.
  6. Since we know it supports 16.8V (4 cells), the caps have to be > 16V Parts. This suggest that they’re at least 25V Parts, and thus, should survive 21 just fine.

But, It’s still just a bet and a guess. Educated, perhaps, but a guess nonetheless…

PPtk

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have tried adding an extra cell on other flashlights and it worked fine. But I was a bit worried as the voltages are getting up there with 5 cells. I’ll let the forum know what happens if I get brave and try it.

Well I decided to try five cells, and it works just fine. Same exact brightness as 4 cells and no issues at all after 60 minutes of continuous use, stopped because it is 2AM here, not because batteries were even close to giving out. It did get up to 144F and seemed to stabilize there. Too hot?

Nice to know I can use it with 2 to 5 cells now!

Absolutely shouldn’t be. That’s only 62C… Even CRAPPY electronics are good to 85C, and the vast majority can survive to 105C. 125C isn’t even all that unusual.

Now, too hot for your hand? Yeah, probably. Too hot for Lithium Cells - depends on your tolerance for risk, the quality of the cells you use, and whether the cells themselves are actually getting as hot as the head of the torch.

PPtk

Actually i think externally 62 deg C is way too hot. The electronics inside / near the LED would even be hotter.

Unless you have spare drivers…. i’d not run them so hot.

If it’s stabilized, then there will be surprisingly little difference between external temp and internal (electronics) temp. Best to measure at the emitters and the electronics though, for sure… Good point 2100.

It had been reading 144F for about 20 minutes, so it was pretty stabilized at that temp. The top of the battery tube where it enters the head was 118F/48C. Ambient was 72F.

One thing I thought of to think about when running 5 cells is that since the voltage is higher than the flashlight expects, the flashlight probably won’t cut out on its own when the batteries are depleted. So it is probably best to only use protected cells if anyone wants to run with five cells. I was running protected TrustFire 5000mAh batts when I tried this rather than my King Kongs just in case it burned out and caused a short situation.

Ambient over here is usually in the high 80s. :slight_smile: We never really hit 72F unless it’s a crazy thunderstorm with a very huge/fast downdraft hence pushing the cold air up at > 2000 ft down.

big time delaying Chinese Holidays. Next year I think I’ll plan my impluse buying before or after. 8)

I have to say that the X100 is even more impressive in person than on a computer monitor. What a Bad A light.

Those 26650’s need a light like this and vice versa. Sometimes you just need V8 torque even though the V6 screams a little louder to get there.

Highly recommend this light, guys. Christmas is coming soon. Plan your pre-holiday buttering-up to the appropriate people accordingly.

Btw, the supplier did a nice job packaging up this heavy unit and provided exactly what I ordered, including 4 clear-wrapped-hologram-labeled TF Flame 26650’s. IOW, The Real McCoys. What they advertised is what I got. Plan to have some fun with this ‘little runt’. I’ll prolly end up buying 2 more eventually. It’s that good.

In any case, this light so far gets the Lumatic Good Lightkeeping Seal of Approval. (LGLSOA)

Thanks to all you guys for the fact finding trail-blazing on this.

Mine behave this way most of the time. But occasionally it seems to have memory mode.

Just to share my result. Tested using KingKong INR26650 Unprotected, these were my measurement for OCV and current from High to Low mode:

2.13a
1.08a
0.4a
16.18v (4s)

2.75a
1.32a
0.4a
13.49v (4s)

very unstable current might be my batteries going to give up, range from 7.2 to 6, stay longer at 6.5a
2.8a (quite unstable current range from 3 to 2.6)
0.47a
10.33v (3s)

You may prefer

UranusFire WF-1200L at $57.53 + shipping

Using 3*18650 is dangerous. X100 is using 3/4*26650.
Must use very good 18650 batteries on this anusfire. :slight_smile:

You would almost have to purchase one of those “Uranusfires” on Comedic value alone, what are the 4 power levels: Itchy(Low), Lumpy(Medium), OMG (High), and “Inflamed” (Holy Lord of the Rings, where de “Anusol” at ???).

Just ordered one from Ali Express for $72.76 shipped. I just hope this is indeed the real thing:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/224242247.html

The only time i ever has an uranusfire is after eating a bowl of extra spicy Chipotle Chilli. >)

My order arrived this morning and I think it is the real thing.

I tried it side by side w/my SRK & BS Terminator using Sanyo UR18650 2600 mAH for both the SRK & the BST, and King Kong ICR26650 4000 mAH for the X-100. My impression was that the hot spot of the X-100 is about as intense as that of the BST and stronger than the SRK, though smaller than both the SRK & BST. Its spill is however much wider than both.

I still have to try this tonight to see how it performs on the trow.