More Aurora SS Lights

Now mine says awaiting stock....i guess theres a lot of flasholics getting on the Aurora bandwagon.

After all the orders I seem to have influenced I hope that nobody is disappointed by it. Hurry up DX and ship mine - and hurry up Post Office and deliver it once DX send me my one. I want a new light to play with test.Now or sooner by choice.

I know im not going to be......its not like i payed 50 and over for it. You recommend the the 34 and i love that light, i want this to have as a partner for it.

Just hope they ship it soon. And my monster light!

I have the L2M to play with and i have been looking all over for new drop-ins. Guess its time to read up on your thread.

There are heaps of fun dropins. The one I probably enjoy most is a UV one. Never, ever, ever shine a UV light at a hotel mattress though. You just don't want to know. I once lit up the mattress in a rented flat with UV. It was horribly clear that the previous tenants had had a rich and varied sex life or were terminally incontinent. Then I set fire to the mattress.

My order finally shipped to day....cant wait for the SHO35 to get here.

I got this light today! I put a NiMH battery in it and the 5 modes worked fine, the memory takes about 3 seconds off to set, but works well. The spot is pretty small. The threads seemed smooth. It is definitely an XP-E LED, not an XR-C like some of the Ultrafire C3's. Seems just as bright as my other XP-E lights like Trustfire XP-E F23 and iTP A3 EOS, only with a more intense and smaller hotspot and not much spill.

But I put a 14500 in it and POOF. No light, even when I switched back to a NiMH. Worse, it fused something to a dead short, because I left a 14500 in there briefly and the tail started getting hot. On an Eneloop it is drawing 2.5A without any light. Yikes! I even took the pill out to test it separately and the dead short has to be in the driver somewhere.

Disappointing. It worked fine with a NiMH. Doesn't work anymore though.

Time for an RMA.......i have been waiting for this light to get here and it finally shipped the other day. I hope to have better luck with both cells working in the light fine.

I've gone ahead and filed an RMA. Hopefully I just got a bad one. Otherwise the light is pretty nice. There was a curl of metal coming off one end of the body tube that I had to take off and file down and some dirt on the LED dome, but otherwise the light was in pretty good shape. Not many threads at all for the head to screw on. It looks shiny here, but it has a matte finish.

The bottom of the reflector is flat with a little hole for the XP-E. It will be interesting to get some light meter readings to see if maybe the LED is being partially blocked.

There are only like 3 threads on the head end of the body tube. Not that many more for the tail.

Bottom of pill. Decent soldering. Not easy to get a grip to back it out though.

Afterwards I took the driver out to try to replace it with another one. The inner diameter of the pill where the driver goes measures 16.8mm, so I tried to fit a 17mm driver in there (see comment below; it wasn't that it didn't fit). Here is the original driver, a double decker, and even by itself I can measure a short between positive and negative of the battery pads.

Tail spring.

Naturally, no beam shots

It's disappointing that the first one to appear "in the wild" was a dud. Hopefully the others will be better though this may be a triumph of hope over experience. I'll take as many pics as possible of the condition and construction of it once it finally arrives. The very short threads seem to be a sort of Aurora trademark - something they share with MTE - who may be the same set of factories under a different brand. The MTE lights I've had have not in general been very good.

It looks like the reflector is actually an XR-E reflector though I have a light with a monster hole for the LED which I'll post pics of in due course.

Now im hoping to get it soon......hope just hoping its not a dud.Frown

I measured the diameter of the driver board and it was 16.4mm, so I thought I could try to fit in a new 17mm driver. However removing this driver is not at all easy and things didn't go well. After getting all the solder off that I could and trying to pry out the driver from the bottom I wound up poking it out from the top by forcing a stick down the hole the LED lead goes into. That worked eventually, but there was no slack in the leads and I tore the wire loose of the LED and the LED board came unglued from the pill (I should have unsoldered the leads to the LED first). I put a new driver in there (NANJG AK47) which wasn't easy because the AK47 has almost no room for the LED leads and doesn't even label LED+. I think I screwed something up there because when I hooked it up it was only 1-mode instead of 5. That was without soldering any stars on the back. Then when I put the LED back on the pill, it was probably a little off-center so when I put the light back together it must have missed the hole a little (there is no room for error and I think the hole partially blocks the LED causing the small hotspot and lack of spill) and the dome came loose. Game over. I'm hoping DX doesn't care and doesn't think that I killed the light when actually it was dead already through no fault of mine. Really I was trying to salvage a lost cause and possibly save them money if the driver swap had worked. The problem is definitely a short in the driver because once it was removed from the pill, I still detected a short across its positive and negative battery terminals.

I'll post some pictures of the driver later. It is a double-decker board with an inductor on it.

DealExtreme gave me a store credit today for the light. I wasn't sure I wanted a replacement since it could possibly be a design flaw. Now I have to figure out how to use the DX store credit. It is the craziest thing I've ever heard of. You place an order, pay for it in full, then ask for a refund of the store credit?

That's just wrong. If a person wants their money back then they should credit it back to your credit card but then again you're dealing with a company that's in another country. That gives them leverage even though we are the customers. Oh well, maybe you will find something else you would like to buy. Plus if you happen to fix this one then that would put you ahead of the game.

I think the deal is that there is a narrow window that PayPal gives them to give a refund. If they give me a refund after that narrow window, then PayPal makes them pay the fees *and* give the money back. But somehow they can do a price correction right after an order. At least that's what I'm guessing. I'm fine with this as long as it works. They didn't even make me send back the defective light, so I can use some of the parts for spares even though the driver died and I killed the LED myself.

They did that with me also when they sent me a defective Tank007 E07. They just sent a new one with my next order (which I'm still waiting for over a month later Frown) and they didn't ask for the old one. I just have the defective E07 on my desk collecting dust.

My SHO35 should be here today and im really tempted not to put a 14500 cell in it. Doing an RMA would just drain me sending back emails and making a vid explaing why the light doesnt work. What should i do lol.....just do it is what the left side of me wants, and the right side just wants to play it safe.

I would play it safe if I were you because it's such a pain in the a** to do the rma thing.

The waiting is the worst part of doing an rma. Yell

Well its too late for that now......stuck in a 14500 and the light is bright and works fine......left it on for 5 minutes before i installed a nimh cell.