MTG2 6V variant can be direct drive from 6V or still requires 8.4V? .....please help....

I’ve been eyeing that light for MONTHS with that same thought. It would almost be like doing the same mod to a 6D Maglite. But without all the fuss and expense of trying to find an appropriate heatsink. I’m sure that light would be AWESOME with an MT-G2 and six Tenergy Centuras or Premiums. I’m just surprised nobody has done it yet. But I guess most people would prefer to do smaller lights powered by Li-Ion batteries. By the way, do you know what the driver size is in that light?

Speaking of Li-Ion, I wonder how an MT-G2 would do with a couple of A123 Systems LiFePO4? Voltage would be lower than with two IMR or ICR batteries. But with those 70A 26650s, voltage sag would be practically nonexistant - a constant 6.4V throughout the entire discharge. OR, add another for 9.6V.

Just an update. The driver in that big 6D Light is beyond me. It looks like a normal 16mm P60 type drop-in.
The heatsink while it screws out, to my surprise it is completely hollow. No heatsinking even below the emitter. Weird for sure.

Anyhow, PCC here is helping me with a copper slug for the center. The 6V MTG2 off my initial testing only pulls 1A off 6D Tenergy cells. Not sure whats going on there.

I think the switch has a lot of resistance. I’ll have to come up with something to replace the stock switch as well as to increase the heatsink mass.

This 6D Light while it has a screwout heatsink that is easy to mod. The lack of heatsink is not good at all.

Having said that, the beam it produces stock on its factory XPE is utterly amazing. Perfect round and white beam for wall hunters.

I like this light so much I am debating on purchasing a 2nd one. Just drop in an XPE2 and run it with stock low amp driver. Yup, it still throws amazingly well for a stock low powered 200 lumens light.

bigC

It’s just that it’s so dang big. It’s like carrying a baseball bat around. Maybe that’s why you like it, but, it’s just massive for that 200 lumens.

The holdup on your MT-G2 version is the switch. The stock switch is pretty cheesy and will melt when we turn it on with this emitter.

I was about to say get ready to heatsink the snot out of it at that voltage and output

Tons of light because you are now holding a small sun! 2000+ lumens from ONE emitter! Whoah!