Multi-emitter lights aren't serious throwers

ok.

have a look what the deft x runs emitter wise.

then try putting an xp-g in the same reflector as an xm-l, then tell me the xm-l throws better

Man that doesn’t sound right. I’m not that small. :smiley: I dunno all the technical details, Gord. I’m not a PilotPtk or a Texaspyro. I don’t have the right equipment to truly talk technical at that level which really is the standard if you want to know true accuracy. I don’t believe in spouting hardcore technical info out just because I own a $50 multimeter and a $40 luxmeter. lol

It just works. I suppose if I run a KKong in one I’ll be even happier considering my adequate happiness with a junk TF 26650.

then consider my limited l2 is throwing an easily confirmed 450 meters and an unconfirmed 850 meters.

That’s with an aluminium mounted nw emitter, good throw and a nice tint :wink:

I might get one to compare someday.

I would just like to point out that anyone who claims they can spot a woodpecker in the inner branches of a leafy tree @ 300m in broad daylight let alone with a thrower at night is full of crap. Also, an xp-g2 in a light will out throw an xm-l2 in the same light.

Quickly spotting something down range is far easier with a BTU will be far easier than doing so with a TN31.

Holly I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this thread, thanks!

haha. im feeling the same right about now.

but do understand I used Woody Woodpecker as an example purely in jest.

I’m not so sure your comment about XPG2’s

applies to every light everytime.

I think it will partly or even mainly depend on the reflector’s design to make that an absolutely true statement in all cases. Some reflectors as you know work better with different emitters than others for lots of unfathomable reasons and from one head, pill, and tube contents to the next. Then there’s always the de-dome ‘x’ factor. Some de-domed emitters from one to the next can act differently not only intensity wise but also tint wise which can affect one’s perception of ‘throw’ too. I have some that came out a lot more NW to yellow than others from the same emitter design.

I never claimed by the way that a de-domed XPG2 won’t out throw a de-domed XML2. I just never have put one in a DST to know for eyeball sure.

If I’m full of crap for that then so be it. I can still live with myself. lol

Do you think every thread put here has to be full of incredible not wasting your time info?

If you do, you’re definitely in the wrong place.

Here read up the advantages of an xpg2

http://www.onestopthrowshop.com/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=2

I don’t need to mod my DST, to know what a single XML thrower is like.
My TN31 with xml2 throws a lot further than I can see clearly.

Well that is true. I broke my cardinal rule about using “always” and “never”. LOL.

Gords has a L2 with a dedomed xp-g2 that is positively wicked. At least I think he does. ;)

Doesn’t this depend on various factors such as background, surroundings, etc.? I know penetration wise if I wanted to spot someone hiding way inside a dark room way out there behind a specific window I’d reach for the TN31 first.

But I guess if I’m full of crap all the time what do I know. lol I know you’re not being mean. Just busting my balls.

It’s ok. I’m not taking it personal. This is like gym back in HS. Dodgeball! :slight_smile:

I’m not being mean. I am just busting your balls. :wink: I’m talking about general ‘hearing a noise in the back 40’ situation. There is always ( in this case it is saafe to use that word) a situation tbat will favor one type of thrower over another. :beer:

they look like a pair of IHOP Kid’s Meal pancakes. :smiley:

onto a 20mm XPG aluminum star I remembered I had laying about in another DST. Now this quickie is with just the stock driver and 3C alkalines.

So far wall hunting and comparing it to a de-domed XML it steps on its larger hotspot. I used a butterfly XPG spacer under the reflector base but it isn’t necessary with a plastic reflector anyway. I’ll see how it does tonite with the spacer and then I’ll go with no spacer. That little XPG2 in the middle of that big reflector base hole sure looks kinda funny. This thing has major potential a coming!

If you have a multimeter and a lux meter why can’t you post your results, seeing as you’re so very results oriented?

I mainly use multimeters for rudimentary things like spot checking batts, and luxmeters for looking at if an emitter puts out what I already know kicks butt from another light from real world experience. I don’t believe in tailcap multimeter amp readings either. And I don’t take ‘lux’ measurements like a lot do here. With throwers it just needs more room than I have and fidgeting about to get an accurate reading anyways. So why bother. I just use the luxmeter to tell me kinda roughly if I’m on the right track. In fact I have a shelf above the luxmeter from where I plant the tail end against with a known tube length and get a ‘peak’ reading at x100 settings. Since I already know that an existing ‘x’ light with certain alterations does real well then I compare that reading to the same style new light’s reading and I’m there with what I really need to know. And I also get to quickly know if I’m improving output by changing things around. Time is of the essence. lol

For instance I immediately can tell if a copper braid on a tailcap makes an improvement. Then I go outside and see if I can eyeball the difference. Most of the time I can. Sometimes the improvement is so small I can’t.

Not very scientific is it? :smiley:

But it works well enough for me.

Lemme just say one other thing. I’m kinda known in certain outside of these flashlight circles for doing stuff to certain mechanical things that work and work well. Call it mechanical intuition with working on an object or whatever. I can feel it in my hands like the thing is talking to me. I just know. I just have a knack for it I guess.

I do believe Gords has one and I know that Tom has a C8 with a dedomed XP-G2 that throws somewhere around 130k and the top throwing XM-L C8 that I am aware of is the C8 that he made me. It has an XM-L2 de-domed on copper sinkpad and driven about 4.0 amps. It throws 102k which is awesome but the hard driven XP-G2 de-domed will out throw it.

I took out the XP reflector from my Convoy to build up your (manxbuggy1) C8 with the de-domed XP-G2, so my Convoy is temporarily demoted. But with your PALIGHT C8, I actually measured 142 kcd with a fresh Samsung 20R, measuring 3.7A at the tailcap -- nice.....