Multi P60 Host Design

Over at CPF there is a discussion going on developing a multi P60 host. I’ve contacted Solarforce and it appears (they said they would look into it) they may be onboard with the idea of developing such a product. I’ve pointed them out to the thread over at CPF so they are monitoring it. A future product such as this could be potentially the “swiss army knife” of P60 hosts. This potential design would be even better if more people can collaborate on making it better. Lets not let this opportunity go to waste on a potential “open source” design. :slight_smile:

No to TC, (and I know they have their following) but I think the P60 should have been redesigned when they went from incandescent to LED. I cant think of a worse thermal path design for LED. A multiple version makes a bad idea that much worse. For multi-p60, if the pill screwed directly into the host and not the reflector, then they’d have something more competent to work with… but then it would only work properly with single mode drivers. I think we all go through the P60 phase as newbs until we discover what the same investment could have bought.

The only good P60 based flashlight I have ever seen is the TrustFire TF-R2.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, lilkevin.
A multi-P60 host appeals to me because it could be hot-swappable. With optional PWM modes in a tailcap, or something.

FlashPilot:

I do understand your point about the P60 format not being ideal for LED’s in reguards to heat. Until there are are changes made by all manufacturers its the best solution for now that is “standardized” as far as compatibilty goes. Steps such as using thermal glue on the pill threads and wrapping dropins do help mitigate the P60 format shortfalls in terms of heat. Also if you take a look at my schematic over at CPF there is a way for the design to work with multimode drivers.

Slim Pickens:

Take a look at the schematic I posted at CPF, no need to enable PWM anywhere on the host.

If others can think of any way to make a potential future product such as this better lets hear it! When was the last time you can think of when a manufacturer such as Solarforce was potentially open to designing a new product with user input from its customers?

Thanks I checked the cpf thread. I guess this only expands on why the p60 is such a crappy design. Aluminum foil is a very poor conductor of heat - no matter how tightly you wrap it. Ive tested several different wrap configurations and thicknesses with an IR thermometer. Try cutting several different widths and lengths of heavy gauge copper foil to follow the different contours of the p60, then tightly wrap them around your pills to precisely match the interior head contours of a particular host. Its far superior to conducting heat than aluminum. Even with all that effort, expense and time, its still a poor design with a band-aid. The only problem is that any wrapping done correctly (regardless of the method) completely mitigates any advantages of owning a P60 in the first place… its no longer a quick change pill and takes great time and effort to disassemble and swap (They only work well if they are a tight fit inside the head). After getting them fitted, they tend to stay that way since I could mod a complete real flashlight in about 1/3rd of the time. I havent even mentioned the crappy beam profiles and inefficiencies of most p60 reflectors… major suckage, IMO. Now multi p60’s? :Sp

As far as I know, the TrustFire TF-R2 is the only p60 that offers a quick change with thermal management that works. With that you also gain a reflector that blows the socks off anything P60. BTW, if youre interested in the TF-R2, better get one now. They are out of production and supplies are dwindling. Check the thread I linked if interested and you’ll see why others have gone to great lengths in acquiring one.

Reading your tread just reminded me of my R.I.P, Beamtech 4000.

The 4000 has similiar design on what your talking about, but this has a multi-emitter drop-in. I have to say that it's junk. I couldn't even give it away. Well truth be told I was giving it away for parts because it broke as the design couldn't handle the heat and the LEDs/driver melted. The light wasn't even driven that hard to begin with.

Sorry, don't mean to poo poo on the idea but it just seems like an uphill battle. Hope you guys get something going that works.

Flashpilot hate P60s. No news there… :stuck_out_tongue:
Btw, Flashpilot, what reflectors with a quite similar size to 60 reflectors are better than a P60 reflector? Just curious, lets not compare strawberry’s with coconuts… :wink:

Over to the multi P60. I think it has potential. It would be unique. Just picture combining various drop-ins. XP-E2, XP-G2, XM-L, multi colored MC-E, Nichia, various tints… de-domed emitters…etc… Nothing unique with the drop-ins. But mixing them for the type light you need, it could be a superior light in many situations, and every user could have one that was very unique based on what you put in it. Not sure what you like or want? Thats the beauty of it, this light would let you explore the options.
For those who want the highest output out there, best thermal management, or best throw for the size, there are already a bunch of lights out there. None would have the flexibility of a multi-P60 host. Such a light would add much more the the flashlight world than just another well designed compact light, another flooder with tones of lumens, or another thrower with a large reflector…
Would I buy such a host? Maybe, maybe not… It would depend upon price, features and design. No matter the outcome, I sure would welcome it! The concept is interesting…

Ill just throw out some quick thoughts/concepts.

Concept 1, The Tiny Hammer:

Inspired by Clarus XT20 (obviously). Consider it a sketch with many flaws in terms of size.

Some of the features:
-Two SS bezels that can be unscrewed. Drop in you favourite drop-ins.
-One master switch (to rule them all :p). Momentary (forward clicky) reverse clicky option, or no switch option.
–2 reverse clickys on the front. (pictured as button 1 and button 2)
-Single 18650

Concept 2
Inspired by a Small Zun ZY-T08 design (with slightly smaller head)
-triple P60, drops in from the front.
–2 batteries, parallel
-One master switch on the back (reverse, forward, or no switch option)
–3 reverse clickys on the front/heatsinking/body (kinda like The Tiny Hammer)

concept3 V1
Inspired by Sky-ray king body style.
-Genius large multi button on the back. Press in the middle to active all three buttons. Press on the single buttons to active each button.
-Uses 3 P60 drop-ins
-Uses 3 18650 batteries in parallel, three independent circuits thanks to tree switches.
-Can tailstand

concept3 V2
Inspired by a Sky-ray king body style.
-Genius large multi button on the back. Press in the middle to active all three buttons. Press on the single buttons to active each button.
-Uses 3 P60 pills. Screws into body
-Uses 3 18650 batteries in parallel, three independent circuits thanks to tree switches.
-Can tailstand

Id guess concept three would be a hit. At BLF, P60s and Sky-ray king are among the most popular lights. Concept3 would combine them.
V1 would be more cost efficient (no reflector), faster to change P60s, and be more true to the P60 drop-in concept. V2 would be more expensive, maybe use a triple reflector (?), and have better heat transfer to the body.

Just some thoughts…

SKILHUNT DT-20 Night OWL is more of the light I’m thinking of but not quite as gaudy. Fairly flat for pockets or holsters. Twin dropins of your choice, each running on its own switch but running off of both batteries. Both switches on the same side. The mass between the dropins would be continous fin wrap around as in the Klarus XT20 or the Shadow TC-750X. My ideal style would be dual heads dual batteries. I have a Shadow TC-750X now that I’m running on a single 18650 battery tube, for the needed voltage it uses 2-18350’s. On high it draws 2 amps to each led, heat hasn’t been an issue, though it does get warm. It’s a favorite light that I carry in a cargo pocket. 2-18650’s would give me 4 times the run time in a still short package. Triple dropin triple battery starts to get too big for me ideal light.

For everybody who are not familiar. Picture of skillhunt DT-20 Night owl
Not very sexy (IMO), but practical. (I dont find any side by side battery lights to be very nice looking though)

Hey that looks awfully familiar to what was done here :wink: