my 2nd build - s2 w/ Nichia 219c + BLF A6 driver

Wanted to share my second build!

Ended up building a convoy s2 with a Nichia 219C V2 on the BLF a6 driver.
What a nice combo with a nice beam, and lots of power.

I ended up testing with cell phone and got 30k Lux @ 1 meter.
this compares to the Thrunite TN12 which got 22k Lux at the same difference.

Was able to get 3.5a on Turbo… but I have a crummy meter with long leads.

Also added a magnetic ring for the tailcap

beam shots

S2 Vs BLF D80

S2 Vs Thrunite TN12

s2 Vs DQG Tiny 4th

My vid review

Nice build, thanks for sharing!
You should place the clip a bit lower so it won’t stick out, oh lol a little bit further in the video you did this.

Hmm I have the same driver and led but on a bigger star, oh man it is time for some modding!

Great build. I’m planning to assemble a S2+ with a Nichia 219C with a 7135 linear driver myself.

Did you have to bypass the stock switch or replace it with one that can handle higher amps?

I’m curious about your lux measurements. I’m assuming your TN12 is the one here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381869, which has a larger and deeper SMO reflector (IIRC), puts out 1020 OTF lumens and only 12,000 lux as measured, compared to your 22,000 lux measurement.

Also assuming your S2 is actually pulling 5A, then according to the plot here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34094, the 219C should put out around 1,200 lumen (OTF?). Assuming an approximate linear relationship between lumen and lux, if the TN12 put out 1,200 lumens, its lux would increase to only 1,200/1,020 * 12,000 lux = 14,118 lux.

How can your S2, with a smaller and OP reflector, even under the generous assumption that it’s pumping out 1,200 lumen @ 5A, register 30,000 lux?

The lux measurement I do is pretty simple. Cell phone measurement at 1 meter. Not very scientific. I use it just to compare brightness between lights.

I did do a double spring bypass, but nothing else.

If you look at the beam pics, the s2 has a smaller beam and more of an intense hot spot. I think the lux measurements I did show that

The light is a surprisingly good thrower.

If I compare other lights lux
Tn12 –22k
S2 - 30k
C8 - 55k

But like I said. Its not very scientific… Just table, wall and cell phone. But it does show me it’s closer to the tn12 than the c8

My mistake, Bc412. Early morning brainfart: the 219C is close to the XP-G2 in terms of beam profile. The TN12 has a XM-L2. With so many new lights coming out with HI emitters, I’m beginning to think everything has a HI emitter in them now.

Now I’m thinking I need to go to a triple 219C with flood or wide optics. I’m looking for more flood, and I thought the smaller reflector would be small enough to render a XM-L2 size beam profile.

Just realize your pic of the tailcap clearly shows a bypass. Completely missed that. I’m more deprived of sleep than I thought. Should not operate heavy machinery.