My BLF Q8 Duodecuple mod

Duodecuple? “consisting of 12”

Or a triple of quads…

This is a first batch Q8 that I have obviously had for a long time. I bypassed the springs way back then and nothing much ever happened since. I have not used it much

Last December led4power had a close out sale and I bought a bunch of 4000K SST-20’s on a variety of mcpcb’s. What to do with them? Here’s one idea I had. I also fitted a 4056 based, 2 amp charger board and a USB-C port.

I made a spacer using some 1/8” thick aluminum discs plus a thinner copper piece. A hole was drilled in the centers and a bolt used to secure the sandwich, which was then chucked in the drill press. A coars file was used to reduce and taper the stack to fit inside the Q8 head. The discs were then all lap sanded with grits all the way to 1200 to try and make the surfaces as smooth as possible.

The USB port is difficult to see. I drilled, then Dremeled and filed the slot in the side. Then used black paint to cover the bright aluminum.

Using some copper and some brass sheet I made a mount for the 4056 charger board. The USB-C port can be seen.

The charger board uses a bi-color led to indicate charging (red) or charge completed (blue). There were a few ways I considered to mount the led. For the method I chose I used a small piece of perf board to make a connection point.

The indicator led-board can be seen inside. It is not yet mounted…

I have not shown every step along the way. Here is the front end of the spacer with the 3 quads mounted. Holes were drilled and tapped into the aluminum spacer unit and 2-56 screws used to secure the mcpcb’s. A piece of heat transfer tape is sandwiched between mcpcb and the spacer.

There are a lot of wires. Three pair for the mcpcb, 2 for the charger output and two for the e-switch. This is the standard Q8 driver, no changes other than adding the charger connection points.

I really was not sure all those wires would fit into the cavity. But they did fit.

Here’s the front end with the fiber optic protrusing slightly. Led’s illuminated on moonlight.

Carclo optics… (#10621 clear spot)

Charging…

I just finished the assembly and other than turning it on for a few minutes in the semi-dark gharage/workshop I have not done much with it. Maybe tonight I will compare it to another, still stock, Q8. Brand new in box except for trying it out when purchased. A batch two Q8

I drilled a hole thru the spacer from the head cavity out towards the front. Well, actually I drilled it from the front end. This was to mount the led and a short length of fiberoptic to be the charge indicator.

COOL! Actually - pretty warm?
Beam Shots or it didn’t happen!
All the Best,
Jeff

But there’s no wood involved

Nice work. Looks like a keeper.

Very nice mod, Don, love it!

Do common USB-C-Cables firmly fit the recessed connector?

I also have a Q8 left with stock LEDs, thinking of copying (and modifying) your mod. I guess I could use the space between the quad optics for 3 red, green and blue XPE-LEDs with optics …

Very nice mod. Charging is a nice addition.

Yes. The connector is flush with the surface of the light. The image doesn’t show that well.

I noticed that too. :wink: I had thought of making a wood veneer mask to fit around the optics, but the first attempt split.

ok Now I kinda want to see some beam shots.

Looks like you have a fun time building it out.

Still no 3D printer? There is wood filament:wink:

Very nice mod MtnDon! Looks similar to my Noctigon M43 Meteor.

Warmer than the stock Cree XP-L for certain. Seems to be pleasant as the other SST-20 I have.

Maybe tomorrow night I’ll try some beam comparison with the stock Q8 I have.

Beamshots, such as they are. Images shot with my phone, handheld. Both Q8 lights were using 30Q cells, freshly charged about 5 hours beforehand. All cells are from the same batch, about the same amount of use. Both Q8’s have tail springs bypassed. The XPL light is an original batch 2 run.

Maximum output was used on both. On the left is the Q8 with the stock XP-L emitters. On the right the Q8 with the SST-20, 4000K 95CRI emitters. In the images, on the left of the road are T-posts. The first is about 4 - 5 meters out. In the distance is another with a white stick wired to it. That is about 50 meters distant. Then in the background, there are ponderosa pines across where the road ends. Those trees are about 100 meters away.

The Q8 with the SST emitters gets a lot warmer, faster. The SST emitters also draw the cell voltages down quicker over the same approximate time. I did not take amp measurements, nor did I measure lumens. I walked about through the trees and down another road a ways, switching between the two lights. Overall, I do like the SST light beam and color better.

The image below is clickable and provides access to a larger image.

Very nice, it is like the first Noctigon light. The beamshots show about the same throw but well more light for the SST-20 version. Combined with the lower efficiency of high CRI leds the current may be twice that of the XP-L version (so 50 amps/200W?).

Lucky those who have a lathe.
Love this mod.

Great minds think alike…

(The other great mind apart from Don’s being that of Old Lumens.)

Thanks Don for keeping the torch burning, both figuratively and literally! Looks fantastic.

Hey sb, that is cool. I don’t recall seeing it before.