My first little mod.

Bought a couple of BLFs from Banggood brilliant light but couldn’t help but fiddle lol.

Flowed off the neutral XP-L and Flowed on a XP-L HI cool. I think i prefer the cooler colours

I found the easiest way to use a pair of tweezers holding the star in a G clamp and the G clamp in a vice :smiley: using a lighter worked best I thought so once I removed the old one I dobbed a bit of flux on and used the lighter again, it was satisfying watching it pull itself into position.

Couple of cheesy beam shots lol definitely gives a more pointy beam

XP-L

XP-L HI

Got a few more components from BG coming too so looking forward to putting some torches together completely :slight_smile:

Well done Matt. You have done what others like me failed at as a mod first time around. You wont find many friends here with the liking of cool tints but between you and I, I’m a fan.

Looks good. I reflow using a jet lighter and long nose pliers. A little sharp dab with a cotton bud (qtip) also helps remove excess solder if you’ve had to use more but that looks fine.
I’m not too keen on warm tints either, quite like the XP-L HI v2 1A.

mattjk, good work man! Took me years before trying reflowing~ (jet torch user too.)
CRX, a dab of the qtip on the LED removes the solder right? Cool :slight_smile:

Cheers guys everyone on here seems really friendly! Yeah i was a bit worried i would fail miserably but luckily i have plenty of XPL HIs on 21mm ally boards from an old project incase i messed up.

Yeah i noticed everyone seems to prefer warmer tints!! I think its really strange for me you get better colour representation with cooler ones. For me 5500-6000k is perfecto!

I did have a XHP70 torch too (just a cheap one off the bay) but i sold it as i found it kinda too bright & bulky! You are spoilt these days with the advance of LED when i was a kid i remember the crappy halogens torches which just glowed a little the game has really moved on massively!

Oh I didnt have any paste so just stuck with whats on there it seemed to work ok :slight_smile:

I’m sure a well known member posted a video about it too not very long ago, will need to search…

edit: vestureofblood, about 8:20 in

Nice work!

Soldering looks very clean.

:beer:

Be careful, now that you’ve done one you will most likely want to reflow all the emitters in your favorite lights to tints that you prefer, then you’ll decide to replace the aluminium boards with DTP copper ones, then in a while you’ll replace some of them with triple setups, then quads, which will lead you to replacing the drivers, which will lead to messing with custom firmwares and searching for the ultimate battery, which leads to spring bypasses, UCL lenses, lux meters, spheres, more lights and checking in here every hour to see the latest thing…

It’s a trap! :laughing:

Lol. What CRX said. So true!! :wink:

… and then CREE or Nichia will come out with a new emitter and you’ll then need to upgrade ALL your emitters in all your lights!

Nice mod. I'm among the cool fans too, anything below 5000k's just bad, and 6000k's my preference.

Um... those are all English words, but they just don't make any sense in that order.

The XHP70 is a delightful beast -- I've got one in a direct-drive setup, and it's just the ticket for scanning a 6-acre lot for predators. Right on about the incredible advances lately.

I tend to prefer the cooler tints myself although I do have a couple hi cri lights for the photography stuff I’m still trying to figure out.
Don’t be afraid to ruin a few emitters while testing, or experimenting, that’s the name of the game.
Good job, welcome to the forum.
Kinda too bright? That’s a first here.

Reflowing is easy. I mostly noticed the nice soldering you did on the wires.
What’s next?