My first MT-G2 build-copper smoothie (prototype anyway)

Not really a lumens monster, though it is pretty bright.

Size = 17.4mm Dia. X 158mm long including switch.
I am planning on trying to shorten it more.

Why?? Hmm………wanted to see a MT-g2 first hand, and more importantly…………. Why not?
It seamed like a fun idea at the time. 0:)

Power……
DD, no resistor, nothing, just the switch and the resistance of the wires I used. Though to be honest, I did pick one of my smaller wires just to add some resistance.
Tail current measured 3.58A, which really surprised me, because I thought the protection circuits would trip above 3A.

Run time…… no idea, it gets uncomfortably hot in about 60 seconds right now. Hoping to have a proper driver for it in the near future to add a couple usable lower modes.

And far from finished, so forgive the details, this is a prototype of sorts to see if I could do it. Still needs a new tail-cap, hopefully w/o the extra “learning experience” holes, a boot, and a whole lot of finish sanding/polishing.

I’ll add a beam shot tomorrow night, I didn’t think about it at the time, and its too FREEZING cold to go back out now. Its kinda ugly up close (faint waffle look), but good outside. May have to adjust the lens a bit more to clean up the beam. Very floody (if thats a word), and great tint IMHO.

Speaking of lens………
I could not find a suitable reflector in this size, so I went with a fixed aspheric lens for now.

Now, lets see if I can post some pics………….

the tail-cap connection, slots/pins……… not the best focus, but you get the idea

And for size reference with the 14500s beside it.

Dont be too harsh, its a work in progress.

Jim

H'mm. Dont be harsh. I could say I have seen one or two copper smoothies before and I could say I've loved them all. The workmanship and creativity that goes into these lights is amazing. Make sure you continue to show us the next gen ones. Well done and thanks for sharing.

What’s the business end look like. Are you running it as a mule or do you have a reflector?

I like the pocket clip.

I’d say it looks fantastic.

Those hand builds are my favorite, the display of ingenuity has great entertainment value.

Copper has zero springiness i fear your clip will just keep deforming without wanting to go back to it’s previous state.

Thanks, it has been a learning experience for sure, working copper as much as building a flashlight.
Man this stuff is soft, way too easy to leave tool marks in.
That pocket clip is functional, but UGGGLLLLY up close, but I learned how to do it better for next time.

For me, that’s the important thing……….learning something new.

Mule is a term I haven’t picked up yet, so not sure.

No reflector,
led on noctigon — small pipe spacer carefully ground to size/parallel — aspheric lens — small piece of pipe smeared with AA to lock it all in (internal bezel of sorts), held in a clamp while it dried.

I will end up cutting and re-making the head section later.

Will post up as it progresses……….
for now, its way past my bedtime.

Night all,

Jim

Nice copper build! And using 2×14500 for a MT-G2 build is a first, and a great idea :-) I think that is is no problem using thicker wires with this led btw. How about one of those 15mm FET-drivers with zener mod for this? (if at all you are into building those type of things at all)

Great work! You’ll find this kind of workmanship is nothing but appreciated around here.

BTW, Welcome to the forums! You’ve been warned…

No optic or reflector = mule. Nice copper light. Try it with part of it brass, clip will work better and you can go much thinner on the tube.

Dude, I’d choose innovation over pretty any day. Great work Blazer! I wonder how a copper ‘reflector’ would perform? :slight_smile:

There's plenty of after market reflectors and lenses around. Just measure the ID of the copper and get as close as you can. You could use a P-60 drop in for the reflector and use a 1" copper coupling, with 1" copper Type M pipe. That would get you to 2x26650 in series, for more power, or longer run time, if you use a driver. Going up to the P-60 size, would allow you to have room for a 17mm driver in the P-60 pill and you would just use Copper to shim the pill out to where it is tight in the 1" pipe coupling. Also, you might want to go to brass rod for the pins in the end cap. They last longer and can be soldered easily. You already have found that copper is very soft, but working with it is easy and it looks good when polished. For the clip, you might want to try brass and solder the brass to the coper. The brass would be stiffer. You could even use plated spring steel sheet for the clip. It will solder because of the plating, just like plated springs do.

The different typed of copper pipe have different IDs, so you might want to look at copper pipe sizes, to see what works best. Type, L, M and K I believe. I use different types of the same OD pipe sometimes, because of the IDs.

Good to see someone else playing around with hand work. It can be both aggravating and rewarding.

May do just that with a later one, but this one is intended to be “pocket size.

Yep, working on a AAA size one as well. Finding type L in 3/8” is turning out to be a pain.

Back to the shop.

Jim

Check out K&S Precision Metals the tube sizes sleeve in much the same way as copper fittings. I use them to make Micromag shorties or stand alone brass lights.

Nice work and welcome to the forum. Has character and personality. Something lacking in mass produced lights. Kind of reminds me of those old handheld maritime telescopes. Congrats. Best wishes you future plans for it.

This was my first build - notice the similarity?

Keep up the good work!

That switch in the tailcap has given me fits to no end.
Barely fits to begin with…….
Must go in after the pins for the cap, and that dont help it fit thru any better.
Stupid switch boot was too tight….

You get the idea.

I’ll work out all the bugs on this one, next up is a even shorter zoomie version.
Not sure if I’ll still run a MT-G2, or go with a XHP70 for the “WOW” one.

I am definitely at the “OMG BRIGHT” stage of building right now.
If it works out I’ll build a XM-L2/XP-G2 version of the little zoomie for EDC.

There is definitely something deeply satisfying about owing a working light that you have made yourself from scratch, something that nobody else has, and in my view nothing beats the look and feel of a nicely polished copper smoothie. :slight_smile:
When I made mine I was intending to lacquer them but have since discovered that it is strangely therapeutic getting them out to give them a polish once in a while.
Nice work, well done. Look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Good for you! Nice work. Pretty is skin deep, functional is to the bone.

Have you seen OL’s Judco switch mod ? Not necessarily what you need but indicates some possibilities. Most of these plastic switches can be pried open and modded either with the plastic housing or the guts themselves. The dots on the bottom if visible tell you where the pins are that hold the two halves together. Sometimes all that’s needed is to file the corners off.