My first MTG2 flashlight***comparison added***

. It seemed the bottom of the TN-31 was too small and reaming it out to a larger size would be better for focus.It would just be a flooder with an odd beam pattern if left stock.The ZY-T13 is a little flood beast but gets hot pretty quick.

So +1 on that question. I have a TN31 on the way and I just purchased 5 more MG-T2’s. If the TN is a laser beam, one is going in it. I know Tom E was thinking about doing it.

EDIT: Response posted while I was posting. Thank you Darc. I can testify that focus is huge. My Defiant Spotlight went from huge flood and throw to big time thrower (by my standards) with emitter height change.

Thanks for the fast reply. Oh what to do… I dont have a TN-31 yet but will be modding one soon for a customer. I wonder if the TN-31 with MT-G2 (after opening up the reflector) would mimic the Solarforce S2200 MT-G2? Id hate to take a chance on ruining a light that I dont own, but the combo sounds quite intriguing.

Yep,I had the urge to hack one up but backed off.Watch Thrunite come out with a MTG-2 light soon,why not everyone else is.

Im surprised they didnt lead the way. Not only that, but where the heck is the triple MT-G2?

OK, got my TN31 today and have just come in from playing with it. I have been playing with MG-T2’s in a some lights and reflectors. The best throw so far has been with the Defiant XML Spotlight and also with that big deep KD reflector that is now out of stock. The best most awesome usable beam so far has been with the Illumination Machines ST90 reflector that recently was in a group buy.

I would expect the TN31 to be pretty floody with an MG-T2. It’s got a pretty good sized hot spot. Much bigger than I expected. I’m going to keep this light xml2 and just mod it for more current and less resistance. Also check out the heat sinking.

I’m kind of bummed because I like the battery configuration of this light for MG-T2. It would no doubt make a fine MG-T2 light, but I can do better beam wise with different reflectors.

Of Course, you will have to change to a local store:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-LED-Work-Rechargeable-Spotlight-800-2702-D/203138411#.Uenyl-XUOPY

I assumed the same. While modding my TN31 yesterday, I hooked the driver up to an MG-T2. It wouldn’t drive it. I checked the unloaded voltage output of the driver. It was only putting out 4+ volts (I think it was 4.3 something, not sure now). So not compatible with MG-T2 stock.

The driver is complex and all solid state. So I imagine someone with the right knowledge and skills could mod it to output 7volts instead.

Thanks for the update ImA4Wheelr. I would have guessed it to work without mods.

To see you in serious thought great info !

I put one in a 80mm SST-90 reflector with the bottom drilled out and run at 7 amps. I wasn’t that impressed. I don’t think these are going to make for great throw no matter what you do with them. IMO It’s just a waste of a really good reflector that should be used for pumping out massive throw. I really think the best you can hope for is a decent midrange with a bunch of flood and great tint. Not that this is a bad thing. :slight_smile:

After playing around with mine I am not convinced that they will be a lot better than the SST-90’s. Too much battery power and heat and no real intensity. If I had to guess the only real application with be for mid range flood. Too much power and heat needed for a small light and not really any point to trying for throw when you can get 1500 lumens with an XM-L2 on copper with the same power and heat and far more intensity. I won’t be buying anymore anytime soon unless someone figures out how to de-dome them and I’m not even sure that is worth the time, effort and cost. It’s a big emitter so no matter what you do you are stuck with that fact.