My first...

Hi there,

I am completely new to modding and not much of a handyman. I have read lots of info in this great forum and I think that I am ready to do my 1st attempt of a little modding. However, I would appreciate if you gave me some support reviewing the plan before I order the parts, see if there is something I am missing or some recommendation for better alternatives. Actually the plan will probably sound stupid to most of you used to do real mods, but there we go:

I have a 1x18650 light that I bought a couple of years ago, and I have been happy with it. It was my 1st quality LED light, this one The model was described as unbranded HSCX-X1 , but after researching a little I have reached the conclusion that it is actually a clone or version of OEM D4, now best known as convoy M1. This carried a XM-L, probably 1A (it is quite cold) and an unknown (to me) driver:

It was advertised as a 2.8 A driver but it doesn’t seem so compared to a recent Convoy M2 (runs longer, does not heat up and light is weaker). Somebody recognizes it?

So, what I want to do is remove the LED and the driver, and substitute them with an XML2 (with nice neutral tint) and a real 2.8 driver like 105c 8*AMC7135. I would not mind driving it even a little harder at 3.0A, but I am not sure about what driver I could use.

So what I plan to order is:

- Cree XM-L2 T6-4C 10W 1100LM 4200-4500K Neutral White LED Emitter on 20mm Star Base

In addition, as I understand it I will need some thermal grease (not glue) to improve contact of emiter star and pill, and a drop of thermal glue (arctic silver or similar) in the center below the LED

So did I get it right? Better options?

Personally I would go with the 3.04A Q-lite driver and an XM-L2 on a copper Noctigon MCPCB.
Two reliable sources, one USA based with shipping costs, but you’ll probably get it quicker (check with them) and you can have the driver custom flashed with your own modes and even add current with 7135 chips, all for a very reasonable price. The other is China based with free but possibly longer shipping (fast for China though), and does not offer customizing services.

Mountain Electronics (USA):
Driver: QLITE REV.A 7135*8 3.04A LED DRIVER - 17mm
Emitter: CREE XM-L2 T6 4C LED on Noctigon 20mm MCPCB

IOS (China):
Driver: http://intl-outdoor.com/qlite-reva-71358-multiple-modes-circuit-board-304a-p-710.html
Emitter: http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xm20-mcpcb-cree-xml2-t6-4c-led-p-756.html

Damn, beaten whilst I was typing still…

You are on the right track in my opinion.

But I would suggest different items.

If you are after a 4C tint get THIS one from IOS. The copper Noctigon is a far better option that the Al one you linked at FT. Alternatively, IOS also sells the 4D emitter which has a little bit more red in it.

For the driver, get THIS 3.04A Qlite from IOS.

Also grab some 22AWG wire from IOS while you are at it if you plan on modding a few more lights in the future.

As for thermal glue, it isn’t necessary. Just use the AS5 thermal paste and the reflector will hold the emitter down on to the pill.

If you want to tweak the amps up a little, you can get a version of that board that uses the 380mA 7135 chips rather than that one that uses the 350mA 7135’s for a total rated output of 3.04A instead of the 2.8A you have now. I’m not sure where to tell you to look. I’m in the USA, so I look no further than Mountain Electronics. Someone else will surely have an idea. If you want to really crank it up, led4power said hopefully the next batch of 5A linear PWM-less drivers may be ready by the end of January.

Solder Paste, makes it a lot easier

Try to shoe-horn a XHP50 into there, and the led4power 5A driver! Woo-hoo! See this thread about the XHP50 (and XHP70).

The led4power driver is to my knowledge not a boost driver which would be needed to drive the XHP50 of a single 18650 cell. Or am I missing something?

Oops, I wasn’t thinking. Try the XHP50 with wight’s most recent zener-ready boards, maybe?

Thank you very much, those are excellent suggestions! Already ordered, went for the IO China page due to free shipping… no hurry. We’ll see what I can do when I get the stuff.

I would definitely go with XML2 and 5A driver……3A seems like ok performance but why settle for less when you can have 5A high and 3A med mode.

Go to mtnelectronics as others already mentioned and purchaser the 5A driver with modes

I use Artic thermal paste with my MTG2 builds and its does the job.

bigC