My KE-5s Arrived Today

Duds in every batch, I suppose. The two I got are equal performers.

sometimes I wonder if a high resistance connection isn't more likely than circuitry having that much variation.

Ha, to put you more on the fence, they got UltraFire C8 so-called 1300 lum, going for $17.99 with free shipping. Might get a pair of them for the wife, and stick them on her bike..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraFire-1300-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-T6-5-Switch-Mode-C8-LED-Torch-Flash-/170787558352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c3bb53d0

Romisen RC-T601 II (Shiningbeam version) EASILY beats my UF 980L. Unreal.

Linky pleasy :p

Here is the comparison between them but the beamshots aren`t the best in terms of shutter speeds (corona isn`t well defined from spill). Trooplewis kindly pointed that out to make them better but at the moment I have no time to update them so you`ll have to use those :)

Can any of these C8's be run on 2 CR123's? Or are they all 18650 only? Not a deal breaker, but I'm starting to value battery versatility more these days.

Sorry, no link. I just ordered the keygo KE5 yesterday and can't wait to compare it to my Romisen RC T601. I saw all the raves about the UF 980L and bought one. Nice light but not as good as the Romisen RC T601 for throw or brightness. Bryan from Shiningbeam says XML U2 version will be even brighter and ready in a couple of weeks. Can't Wait!

You got the Keygos Ke-5 yet? Will be waiting for a report !! :)

Well what do ya know...as I was going to sell my second in the batch of KE-5s, when I gave it to my friend, I noticed it was (as some of you stated) underdriven.

On a totally fresh cell, maybe 590 or so lumens. Can't believe I didn't notice it before. Dimishes gradually to less than 300 lumens (I'm ball-parking) and hardly even gets warm. We're at over an hour on the runtime test with one of my cheapie cells now. I still have usuable light.

My friend didn't even notice much difference, but I'm splitting him this one with a half-off discount on a KD C8. I can't live with myself if I don't. So yeah, watch it with underdriven KE-5s.

now you tell us. Mine should arrive pretty soon. This takes the anxiety away. Live and learn, hopefully.

Got mine today. I didn't have any fully charged 18650s so I tested it with one @4.02V. Damn this thing is bright, tried measuring it and got 3.85A. The driver has "EAST-092" imprinted on it.

No scratches or anything, only the battery tube is tight. I tried putting a XTAR 18700 2600 (purple label version) in it, but stopped halfway as the tube was so tight I feared I wouldn't have gotten the XTAR out of it without picking the light apart. It made a "popping" sound as I pulled the XTAR out.

Can't wait until it gets dark so I can compare it to my Trustfire C8.

Mine arrived today, shipped on the 3rd I think it was. Came fairly well wrapped in bubble wrap and box. The light is terrific! In my opinion much nicer than my KD C8. My 18650, a Trustfire 2400 measured at 4.14V gave me a reading of only 1.65A on high. I don't know how all these others get 3.85A??? My KD C8 only gave me 1.5A Could it be a cheap meter? The Keygos is MUCH brighter than the KD. And the strobe on the Keygos is amazing, best one I have. Other problem is the OSO, how come they can't get that right? I mean it's only a $20 light but still? Nice lubed threads, glow in the dark tail cap, SS bezel. I think it's a great light for $20 shipped.

What meter are you using? See my KD C8 post where I compared my meters and tried thicker gauge leads. You might at least try the thicker leads trick (just jam some thick wire in the meter sockets and test). I know a lot of people have that cheap Harbor Freight meter and in my experience it's worthless for current measurements for flashlights.

-Garry

Hi Garry. I'm using the highly touted DT-830B, $5 on E-Bay. I'm recharging my cells now and will test the light again tonight with a friends Fluke. I'll let you know what I find out, but either way I am very happy with this light. I know u were on the fence about it

patrick

Told ya!

Pretty friggin' amazing amount of light! I still adore mine.

Yeah, I've been anxious to hear about how well these are driven of if they're under-driven. Have also been looking at that Prairie Fire UF-980L clone. This KE-5 does have a really nice look to it though. I'm not familiar with that meter, but it looks eerily similar to the Harbor Freight one.

-Garry

The KE-5 is a nice light. But they don't put out no 800 lumens. I used to think they put out probably about 700. But until you get a good XM-L thrower like a Crelant 7G5 or Olight M3X or Olight SR51 to compare it to then you will know it's not 800 lumens.

It performs very, very close to the 980L in performance. I'd believe 800. And it matches my friend Olight M31 Triton with SSt-50. How could it now be?

The leads are terrible. I replace them a few month ago with two 4mm² cables and two banana plugs and measure correct Amperes. With the old leads the measurement to 1A (XP-E, XR-E LED) was correct but for the XM-L measurement with 3A false.