My Latest Insane Project

I was thing like 4 T6 3C and 3 U2 1B, would be cool
Any combo really, with so many LEDs, you can really customize your tint

to use the starter relais of a car for this one.

you might derail a freight train with that thing

Thatninjaguy, you can't mix different LEDs like that, or at least I don't think you can. As I understand it they may have different forward voltages and then that leads to some getting more power (since in parallel) and eventually killing them.

I don’t think forward voltage depends on tint. It’s pure lottery, if I’m not mistaken. I.e. you can have three LEDs of same tint with different forward voltages, or three LEDs of different tints with same forward voltage - depending on how lucky you are.

It would be safer for the LEDs for this to be a serial board or a master/6 slave mod but space is a factor here. ~20A feeding 7 XML whether they are binned or not it’s going to be a lottery for the current to each. Have you considered a magnetic bottle containment field? Safe is just a relative term here anyway. Don’t forget your safety glasses and don’t inhale!

This was my thinking…

@antonkochubey, unless I'm mistaken a T6 is going to have a higher forward voltage than a U2. I may be wrong though, either way I'm sticking to U2s all from the same supplier so they will hopefully be pretty close.

@Rufusbuck, that certainly would be safer and better but a serial board would need 7 18650s or a boost driver. Both wouldn't work in a compact P60 light. All I know is I need to take a video when I first turn it on. :)

scaru can you please do us all a favour and get hold of a HD camera with very high frame rates so we can watch this in ultra slow motion. I'm glad no one has put you off this little project yet. I've just bought a usb broadband dongle for my laptop so I dont miss any off this while I'm on holidays. (Really scared excited smiley face inserted here). Can I send you a bullet proof diaper for start up?

Yeah, I knew about your limitation on size. Probably work as a series board in a 6D Mag with Hbflex, 5 32650 and a heat sink with a dry ice pocket and vents( there goes Scaru, making smoke again). Fog light?

I do have a HD video camera and a tripod I will use when I first turn it on. I'll set the frame rate as high as it will go but no promises. It really pisses me off that the boards haven't shipped yet, but that's life.

I just feel the only thing to add is you go my friend, stuff the negatives, if we’d listened to them, we’d have never hit the moon.

It's about impossible to get 7 matched leds from a supplier. The lowest Vf will get bright and then it will go dim and die. Then the others will do the same. Might be right away, or might take a while. High power leds in parallel, that close together and that hot, probably don't stand a chance, but that's just my feeling and I'm usually wrong.Frown

I am looking forward to the video. Possibly, you might want to find an announcer, to give the blow by blow. This might be one of those classic YouTube videos, that become a must see for flashlight modding trainees.Tongue Out

Sorry, for joking with you. I do look forward to the results.

OL, I don't have to worry about that when it will only run for 2 minutes before the battery is dead. (Using a AW IMR and this is pretty optimistic)

This is my idea

7 MOSFETS for 7 LED. each FET drive each LED.
form this way even few mili ohms on resistance enough to match LEDs other than connect all parallel
and high current, zero resistance switch problem also solved.

Is it possible to put the mosfets on the back side if a 20 mm board? Similar to an led and 7135 on the same mcpcb.

Are you using any reflectors at all?

You might want to check out these:

They’re Ledil Lily-S reflectors from PhotonFanatic, and are being used in this build: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?267667

I’m not sure if there’s enough physical space though…

Anyways, good luck!

Ryan, there is literally no space. The optics would need to be a max of 5mm diameter in order to fit. :( Can anyone give me some advice/explanation on exactly how fets could be implemented?

Yup, thought so….

What’s the progress with this project? :smiley:

Heatsink is on the way, LEDs will be ordered Wednesday (coming from US), LED board still has not shipped. If I had to give an estimate on when it would be done I would say by the end of january.