My neighbor wants to buy my UF-980L

Does anyone know if there is a single cell 18650 light that is of equal quality and cost that I can recommend to a neighbor? No way am I selling him mine.I would prefer a US only supplier to suggest to him.He will also need Safe quality batteries and a safe charger.The wow factor of this small flashlight still impresses me and others 3 years later.

PM Sent.

Your neighbor wants you to sell him A Hot Rod Flashlight for Experienced Users Only

And the problem is, you can’t make your neighbor an experienced user.

Try offering him a metal box and a concrete block to set it on in his driveway — to put the charger in when he’s using it.
Show him recharging fireproof bag battery - Google Search and ask which type of safety equipment he’s planning to use.

Yeah, the experienced user knows to be careful, and may not always be perfectly careful without being reckless about using this stuff.

But your inexperienced neighbor needs an education before he needs a hotrod flashlight charger.

Hank. You are such a buzzkill. You do realize that 90+ % of the "experienced" users do not use any other protection than not having their head next to the charger right?

Besides that light is a big hunk of metal that takes ages to warm up to dangerous levels. Whatever that is.

And hey! Look on the bright side. If the neighbour has no luck at all and torches his house then Mike11148 will have front row seats and can show the firemen how a real flashlight shines ;-D

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-137/ShiningBeam-Blaze—X/Detail

Just a choice out there.

That’s Foy’s opinion I’ve pointed to.
He wrote there:
“The Ultra Fire UF-980L is a flashaholic’s dream come true and that very fact makes it a very bad choice for a casual user. ”

As to your “90 percent” statistic — you’re giving yet another illustration of Sturgeon’s Law.

Once you’ve seen people burn, you think differently about risk.

YMMV.

Buy a LipoSack as a safeguard.

Or just get him a flashlight that has a micro/mini USB charging plug and tell him to charge it with his phone charger

There was a GB about it somewhere, here it is

It doesn't take long for someone to be taught lithium ion safety, especially when they are a neighbor. I learned it on this Forum and I'm sure Mike11148 is quite capable of mentoring his neighbor. What are friends for?

take your 980L over to his house to sell it to him but accidentlly blind him with it ....and then swap it for a 501B with an xre drop in

Mountain Electronics
I prefer XinTD C8, but out of stock now, can buy charger and batteries too.

Just a FYI: I am actually a trained fireman and - not sure about the english terminology so bear with me - fire site commander?? I am the guy who tell the other firemen where to go and what to do when at a fire.

So it is not from a lack of firsthand experience that I am saying what I am saying. But I really do not think the neighbor can not be taught how to keep it safe. I think he can and will be careful enough. Just as 99,999% of all the other lithium batteries users. I have yet to hear about anyone in Denmark responding to a housefire started by a lithium battery. But then we do not have many Tesla cars...

A quick search shows availability on Amazon and Lightmalls

Looks like a very interesting unit

In the pics of Lightmalls UF-980L, that ain't the original driver. The original had a black circle whereas this one is green.. So don't expect stellar performance like the original that pulled north of 3.6 - 4+ amps on HIGH on a TrustFire 18650 out of the box. I have one btw. :)

after they lose the first hand. :bigsmile: