My thoughts on the Solar Storm SC01 (mini review)

I see wallbuys has the SC01 in XM-L2 T6 tint for $11.86 shipped. Are these worth it now at this price, or better to get some more Convoy S2+ deal thats going for $12 instead?

I know I can at least get the Convoy, s2+ with a 3A driver for about $12.5 shipped, as I already ordered one. Which one do you think is the better deal, now that they are at even prices?

Me personally…the Convoy S2 (I have two of them) my EDC is a Convoy S5…but it’s nice to have a tiny AA handy

Get both :smiley:

Very different lights - little AA side switch verses conventional 18650 tube light. All usual trade-offs of size/form factor vs. runtime. Actually reflector widths are close to same, so they may throw similarly given same LED and amps. Though I've initially been impressed with the SC01 and SC03, the "issues" on these lights is building from more and more feedbacks - I like the service and mod ability of an S2 vs. an SC01 for sure...

Thanks for the review.

Not sure I can agree on the price point though. I’d say it’s cheap for what it is.

Also the quality on mine (SC02 18650) is far above most of the cheap lights I’ve bought.

I also don’t understand how you can complain about the reflector. Surely you knew it was a SMO and not an OP before buying. Moaning that you want an OP is like buying a petrol car then moaning it’s not diesel.

No PWM is a way of regulating/reducing output by quickly turning the light on and off.

If the light is shining at a static object you’ll not notice this at all, but under motion it can be seen.

The easiest way to see this is simply to wave your hand infront of the light.

On High or a current controlled light your hand will appear as it does in normal daylight. With PWM (usually on lower modes on budget lights) you’ll see a strobe like affect easily. The frequency of the PWM will affect the visual impact, so try it with several lights to see the difference.

Low frequency PWM can also be seen when moving the light about or at other moving objects. Different people can tolerate this at different levels. Rain or moving water can be quite evident and distracting.

After thinking about it, I think I will pass on the SC01, I really detest the "royal blue" button (and blue's my favorite color!), such an eyesore for me. It would have been so easy to make it black or even GITD, or really a nice bright red!