N10sivern's Zombie Slayinator - 3rd Annual BLF Contest Hand Made - Grand Finale Posted!

what were you confused about?

Lots of things. I wrongly thought the tube you used with the rubber seal in it was a joiner for the outlet of the toilet but now understand its not.

You are soooooo special! :wink:

Now, for the future plans. I am trying to devise some way to use maybe some HDPE to make guides on the top and bottom of the head for it to slide along and stay in alignment inside of the tube. Once I am able to get the head installed where it kind of easily slides back and forth, I will work on the slide stop mechanism. I plan to drill and tap a hole on each side of the head and route slots on the tube. The head will slide back and forth on the guides and there will be screw in knobs screwed into the head. The routed slots will allow the head to only slide so far forward and back. Once the head is in position, the knobs can be tightened down to hold the head in place. After that, the worst part is over! yeah right. Then I will work on framing out the rest of the light that will contain the heatsink, fan, driver, and batteries.

Not a whole lot to update. Added a quick video to the OP. I tested the fan using 4x 18650’s in series and it works great. I hope to have some progress tonight

It's amazing the things people can do, when they put their minds to it. Forming all those pieces took a lot of time and work. The way they are coming out is great. It's always inspiring to watch these builds in the comp. You literally never know what will come out and what you can learn.

I will hopefully get to go to Lowe’s this afternoon and get a lot of copper and parts. It’s about to get real up in here.

Can you route three slots in a circumferential diagonal such that the head would twist as it zooms? This might allow it to stay in position better. A threaded hole in the inside tube for a thumbscrew to screw into would allow for a snugging down to hold the two tubes in a fixed position once that position is found. (Stainless knurled thumbscrews would look good, 3 would be a neat set without complicating it further)

The threaded hole could be oversized initially and a z-coil used to ensure the threads don’t wear out. :wink: (hope z-coil is the right word, the thread insert used to replace when threads are stripped?)

you are talking about a heli-coil. That would be a possibility. I’m open to any ideas. Routing at an angle would be too hard to keep right. Too many variables in that to screw something up. I REALLY do not want to have to start over with anything more than I have to. I will be pressed to finish this on time to begin with. Huge setbacks would kill the project.

What I am thinking about doing is mounting 3-4 ridges inside of the tube and routing a channel in the head. The ridges will slide inside of the channel keeping the head in alignment. Instead of slotting the tube for the screw downs, tapping the head, and screwing into the head……I’m thinking about keeping it simple and just tapping the tube and using the screw downs to just tighten up against the head. Almost like a set screw.

I plan to build the frame next, so I can get everything together to have the light functioning. I need a working LED to figure out where I want the head to be to focus and flood. Maybe it is kind of backwards, but I need to start on another part of the light to be able to finish the first part.

Sadly, I am not as impressed with the lens anymore. I’ll keep the numbers to myself, but I tried a dedomed XP-G2 behind the lens the other day. To say the least, I was unimpressed with the numbers. Granted, the tube isn’t painted black, and I had a hard time rigging up the flashlight in the tube and focusing it. Overall it was a complete mess and disappointment. I think there is probably 40% decreased i light transference through the lens. The yellowing of the old glass and some swirling in the glass is probably to blame. Oh well, too late to turn back now!

If modder is unhappy or uncertain with something that is really not a good sign... You know that we talked about triple lens system with MEM and Seedstar that tried that builds or Ervni Anastasi(look) so maybe you can PM them for a bit of help on lens choice. This big tube has potential but centering will not be easy. Fitting big reflector would be easier...

Did the monster in the background scare you causing the batteries to scatter?

Wow man I am impressed. You really put a lot of thought into this. Not to mention a lot of work. Go big or go home huh.

I am curious to see what kinda lux you get from that lens. Same thing about that Fresnel looking one.

Keep up the great work.

thanks VOB. I appreciate the compliments.

I didn’t get a chance to since my last post but I WILL be going to Lowe’s this morning to purchase parts for the frame. I have already ordered a switch, battery holders for the 18650’s that I will be using, some extra kydex, and some other small parts.

The workmanship on this light is superb.
I would imagine this light when finished will be extremely heavy. That’s probably smart of you, lest you should be disarmed by a Zombie during an encounter. There is no way a Zombie could lift this weapon and turn it on you! :slight_smile:

Where did you get your 6” copper disc and how much did it cost? I would like to use one in a light I am working on.
(not part of the competition) :wink:

Ugh, I see a big redesign in the near future. As was just mentioned, the weight is going to be way too much. But I have a plan! There is no way I can make it a zoomie and keep the weight down. Also, zooming in and out would not work well with another plan I have. So here is my plan for the head. I will keep the tube with the lens and scrap the head. I have a piece of 6” pipe that I can mount the copper disc in. I plan on buying a clamp on light with a big 8” reflector at Home Depot. I can take the light bulb holder out of the light and modify the reflector to fit the COB LED. If I spray paint it black, it should eliminate some of the ringiness if that’s a real word. I can then just make spacers and secure the 6” PVC to the 8” tube. This will probably save 2-3 pounds in weight.

Also, I just came back from Lowe’s where I bought about $100 in copper pipe and fittings and solder. That is going to be for the frame and something else that’s going to be special. Lord help me, I just keep coming up with ideas that make this harder and cost more. I just figured up in my head what I have in this so far and almost cried. If I can’t get this done for the contest, I may actually cry…….nah. No crying, but I will be really pissed off!!!

Yup, he’s hooked. Line and sinker too. That’s the problem with ideas, they take on a life of their own. Sort of like a zombie haunting your footsteps day and night. Slow, plodding, inexorable.

You don’t know the half of it. There is a lot in store for this project, I just don’t want to let all the cats out of the bag just yet :wink: I will say though, I need more copper!

Another waaaay over the top BLF contest build, I like it. There are no words to describe this…Implausible?…Distortion of Reality? (i.e. entry to the Twilight Zone)…. Keep up the good work!

Updated the OP with pics of my copper collection. It’s by far not the biggest. Too expensive.

This is my copper. There are many like it, but this copper is mine!

Sweet

Y’all need to stay tuned. Lots to happen today and tomorrow. I’ll post pics as I go.