Need advice - driver for an MTG-2

Hi there… Need some advice, since I’m pretty clueless about these things.
What is a good driver to use to power one MTG-2 emitter.

I plan on using 2 x 18650’s (or 2 x 26650) batteries in series.
Would appreciate any help I could get :slight_smile:
Thanks.

What are you trying to accomplish? Daily driver (pun not intended) or over-the-top outputs or fancy UI or what?

I just recently bought a zener modified 3.04A Qlite driver from Mountain Electronics for a MT-G2 build I’m doing. For a little extra money, he will add/subtract regulator chips (to change amperage) and/or flash a custom firmware (to change the driver’s features/modes) With that customization ability, this driver will cover lots of different use cases for a reasonable price.

Hi DavidEF. I’m not after a hot-rod kind of light. Just a daily-use flooder, with a nice tint (mtg-2!). Doesn’t have to
put out more than say… 1100-1500 lumens on high. Thanks for the heads-up :slight_smile:

may be this will help https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/19371

According to the CREE Product Characterization Tool, you need about 1.0 - 1.2 Amps, which is not much. You could get Richard at Mountain Electronics to reduce the 7135 chips down to a total of three on that driver, for a total regulated output of 1.14A, which will theoretically give you a tad over 1000lm at the emitter. Once, you figure in the losses from reflector/optics/lens you will be at the top end of your desired range. Alternatively, you can leave all 8 chips, but get him to flash the custom firmware and set your modes up in a way that one of them will be ~1000lm. This will give you greater flexibility, plus the available extra output in case you ever do need/want to use it.

Edit: Forgot to say that the driver has available mode memory, so even if you keep all 8 chips and set it up with ~1000lm as one of the in-between modes, you can always turn the light on at that level and never have to change it unless you want to.

If you don't need modes and you put the emitter on a copper base, you can just skip the driver and connect directly to the cells (with a switch to turn on and off).

Otherwise, I would go with sometype of direct drive (DD) driver. RMM should be able to set you up with what you need, but I don't know what shipping will run.

How much room do you have for the driver? There are several decent drivers that will do the job IF you have room for them. Most of the multi-emitter lights do a good job of driving an MT-G2.

If you have the room this will do the trick nicely.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S021221

What is the output voltage of this guy?

Oh man how could KD not mentioning its input and output voltage. 12*XM-L can be wired in many different ways.

Do you already have a host in hand/mind? If not, and you are ok with its size, for the umpteenth time, I'm going to go and recommend the Dipper D19 from Banggood. You can use the stock driver. Unsolder the XM-L2 and put in your MT-G2. With the size of its head and the MT-G2, it throws "far enough" (100 meters or so), yet provides good area lighting.

The Yezl Y3 stock driver can also be used with an MT-G2 without any mods, but its PWM, if you are sensitive to it, is visible in low and medium settings.

By the way can LD-29 run an MT-G2? And what is the difference between the LD-29 from FT and the LD-29 from Simon ?

Thanks a lot.

Well with a MT-G2 and two batteries it’s not much to worry about. It will end up being DD minus any resistance from the driver.

Now if I remember correctly this is three batteries max and as it’s not a boost driver that leaves you with only a few options for how to wire any multi-emitter light. 4p3s or 3p4s either one would most likely work as long as you have the emitters on noctigons it’s nothing to worry about.

IIRC the LD29 has an output voltage limit which is too low for the MT-G2. I believe that comfychair posted about it.

Can’t this be done just as easily with a single XM-L2? That would cost less money, fit more reflectors, and your driver options would be a little different (eg they would include the LD29 for one thing).

This may be of some help in your selection.

Sorry guys… I totally screwed up :stuck_out_tongue:

I should have known that the MT-G2 is capable of far more output than that.
I have updated/edited post #2 (should be 1100-1500 lumens).

Y’see, I already have the K40M, but I want something smaller and lighter that only uses 2 cells.
Doesn’t need to be a lumen-monster.

I was thinking about this light HERE which I have lying around and not being used much…
It came with an extension tube to be used in a 8.4v setup.

Correct. I've got no DMM readings, but I did hook up an LD-29 to an MT-G2 and no light was produced.

Whoa great Idea BanglaBob, what size is the driver? Probably 22mm?

21mm I think….
My only concern is whether the reflector can indeed work with an MT-G2 and
how well it actually does.

Btw, thanks for all the advice, guys :slight_smile:

You are going to have to open up the reflector hole. It’s going to be a super heavy flood no doubt about it! My Y3 with MTG-2 is a FLOOD MONSTER beautiful beam and tint,compared to my TK61 MTG-2 THROW/FLOOD MONSTER!! I’m really digging the MTG-2! :heart_eyes:

MTNelectronics has the FET drivers with 5 modes.

It is a direct drive variant but with 5 modes. low mode is moonlight mode so very comfortable to stare at the MTG2.

I have this in my 2D Mag MTG2 build and its amazing driver. I can have single digit lumens to whatever DD offers which is north of 20watts.

best,
bigC