Need help finding hand held hunting light

I think Rominsen RC-G2 was a great suggestion. It is a quality light. It has a one mode with a forward clicky like a tactical light and I think that perfect for hunting. It is a single AA so batteries are easy to find. It also adjusts from flood to spot and has a pretty nice tight spot without the square emitter of a zoom light which I dont like either.

For about $13 you really can’t go wrong. I have had one for years and I still like it.

Hi Eddie,

If you want to stick to a AA light you might look at the Fenix E21. It runs on 2AA has the runtime you are looking for has hi/low with no flashing modes is very well built. About the same size of a 2AA mini maglight but much better. It has a good center hot spot at 50 yd and some nice spill. About $35

Larry

If your headlight is as bright as you make it sound I think you will be disappointed with anything running off a single aa. Your required run time is probably best handled by carrying an extra battery also. I’d recommend something like this http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-64/L-dsh-mini-flashlight-nylon-holster/Detail and carrying an extra 18650 battery or two. Try to get something with a neutral or high CRI tint. It makes a big difference in the woods. I think I saw a TK35 style light that took AA batteries instead of 18650’s. That might be a good choice for you also. I’ll see if I can find a link. I’m not a big fan of the zoomies so I’m not going to recommend one.

apt323 - with the exception of converting to 18650’s the C10 seems just about exactly what I want, and I am will to enter the 18650 realm, so this might be the right light to do so. Thanks! What would the burn time be hi/lo?

What is a C8 type light? Do they just have better throws, or are there models with zoom?

There are soooo many brands, and clones, its making my head spin LOL… thanks for helping me sort it out.

BTW what lumens should I be looking for for my uses? I’ve seen 150 to 1650? For my uses I often need to really illuminate a small area to be able to identify a coon that is flattened out on a limb or trying to hide in the very top of a tree. Like I mentioned my headlamp is about 2000 lumens but it lights up a huge area, I only need to light up a fraction of that, but want at least the same intensity in that small area. Distance isn’t all that far, but I hunt some very tall timber. I also don’t mind, or don’t think I would mind a square spot if that the only issue with a particular light you might otherwise recommend.

I did a little checking around and you check out the Nitecore EA4, Fenix Ld41, and Sunwayman M40a. Not zoomies, but you wont be disappointed.

A c8 is a small (6” x 1 3/4”) reflectored light, and my personal favorite form factor, I like a light to look mag esque ie head and body.

Here’s the link to arguably the best c8, they can be had for a lot cheaper or built.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v3-xml-u2-xml-u3-flashlight-p-308.html

The kaidomain c8 springs to mind as another favorite, you can also get pressure switches for them if you wish to gun mount.

It’s close on a 1000 lumen depending on exact spec, I’d guess the one I just assembled (c8 upgrade host from Cngq, xm-l u3 2.8a driver) at 700 - 800 lumen, they are a very nice little light that handle heat well, just you’ll need a couple of cells for a couple of hours on high.

The one I’ve built will be getting a new neutral white xm-l2 when it arrives along with a slightly higher output driver.

They are a very good choice if you go with one of the ones reviewed on here for example.

This is the keygos m10, my personal favorite of the c8 sized lights.

They are all reflectored though and not zoom models, you get some flood and some throw, but they are a solid light choice.

Hey gords! Thanks for explaining the c8

Eddie - should get atleast an hour of run time out of the c10. I have some shots of it zoomed tight some where on the forum will link them in a little bit.

Not a problem, as I say, its my current favorite form factor, just for me the m10 and 20 minutes with a soldering iron and the right driver/emitter makes the prefect pocketable light. Either that monster 3.7a driver I like or a played with nanjg and you have a solid bright light that’s both diminutive in size and able to handle the heat of a smoking xm-l…

Eddie,

I’m back to revise my recommendation. I just came in from my backyard where I was shining my 1AA Romisen RC-G2 III up into the canopy. I have a wooded lots with lots of mature oaks, pines and poplars and I could see how well it did.

I’m confident the 1AA Romisen would help me find a coon size animal up there if I knew it was there somewhere, especially if it’s eyes lit up (I don’t know if coons do that?). But I would want a bit more intense amount of light up there if I was scanning and hunting. For that reason I think 1AA will be marginal (work in some cases, maybe not all, depends on a persons preferences).

Instead perhaps you should step up and find a nice 18650 light. This will light things up no question. I would advise you to think about how you would hold the light as you scan and aim and consider the differences between the 2 main body styles. There are some cylindrical models with no bulbous head that are easy to hold and use. Then there are those with a larger head. I have both, just wasn’t sure if the bigger head would interfere with a 2 hand pistol hold if you use that. The C8 style are nice. So are the cylindrical. The good part is that lights are fun and cheap so don’t think about buying THE perfect light. I’d get a UltraFire HD2011 for around $10, and then ALSO a cheap WF-501b or C8 is gonna really light things up big time. also around $10. Getting 2 lets you learn and also gives you something for a buddy. Then as you use them and learn more you might get sucked in and decide to upgrade to something higher end.

I’m not dismissing the 1AA light, and think you would find plenty of opportunities to whip it out as you tramp around the woods at night. I still think you should get one of the ones myself or others recommended. But a 1x18650 will put some lightening in your hand.

Just lost a long reply I tried to post, so here’s a condensed version : ) .

1st thanks for all of the help and replies for a forum newbie!!

I’m pretty set on a zoomable, and think it may be time to take the 18650 leap unless there is a multiple AA, AAA light out there that fits the bill without getting too large. This means I’m going to need info on these, which ones, which charger and handling/charging procedures. I know enough to know there can be safety concerns.

I have a long weekend of hunting coming up next weekend, so I would like to have a light, batteries and charger in hand by next Thursday. Any US buying options? or an over seas seller that can deliver by then? Amazon actually carries several, none of the ones that have been mentioned here though : ( . Anybody shop with them or have another option that want take 2 weeks to get?

Tmart has a US warehouse

shiningbeam, lighthound are US based and ship fast for me

They don’t seem to carry many of the suggested itemd either, would like to possible get the small sun c10…

I did find something that seems to be along the same line as reccomended at shiningbeam http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II-R2/Detail

and this one at tmart http://www.tmart.com/CREE-Q5-230LM-5W-3-Modes-Focus-Flashlight-Torch-with-Charger-Black_p164574.html

Any feedback on these or suggestions for brands one of the US based sellers carry?

Hey Eddie,

That light you listed at shining beam is a WC tint which is cool white. For your application I’d go with something a bit warmer, maybe 3c tint. The cool whites look brighter, but you see better in the woods with the warmer tints. The tmart light listed has a Q5 emitter. Nothing wrong with it, but it’s about five years old now and you can do better. What’s your budget? I’ll try to look around for something else for you in the morning. You may not have noticed, but you got several replies stating they didn’t like zoomies. They are fun to play with initially but the novelty wears off quickly. As noted elsewhere, you really cant go wrong with a C8 style light, like the first one I recommended at shiningbeam. :slight_smile:

Tmart C8 link

Some of these ship from the US warehouse. The Q5 version is real throwy looking and the Xml version has good throw with a lot brighter spill

Here is a link to the small sun mod i did a while back has a few pics of the insides and a few beam shots in the first post.

Green led in small sun c10

Not great pics all i have is an iphone camera

Ok, I unsure in your budget so excuse me a little license.

For batteries, contact kumabear on here, he’s your best bet for good batteries cheap in the US.

Chargers I’m unsure on US suppliers but shining beam, battery junction and light hound all spring to mind.

Fasttech may be worth a look for lights as many have reported quick shipping.

I would seriously consider the xintd c8 in a nw tint with priority shipping as i’m sure that will blow you away when you get it in hand.

Once again, I’m blown away with the help the forum members here are providing to a newb. I’m a member of others (not lighting related) and I think this one is tops in this regard.

I know I am being a bit stubborn regarding the zoomie asppect, maybe I can provide some background info I have coon hunted for more than a decade, and until the recent introduction of leds to the category, the vast majority of the lights designed for this sport had focusing lenses / zoomable. Its hard to explain the need if you haven’t been in the situations, but there are times when I need to thread a beam through a small opening to prevent casting shadows onto my focal area, and to just focus attention on a little area, and there are times when I need to flood an area. I may regret the purchase later, but for now I need to stick to my comfort zone with this factor. My concern is that and “thrower” (new term for me) is either not going to have a tight enough beam to do what I need at times, or will be too tight at others, and I don’t want to carry multiples. At the price of some, I may add a C8 later though.

Tint is another new factor for me to consider. The led light I have now has a tint I don’t really like, but I don’t know what it is. I don’t like it because is much “whiter” than the lights I have used for years, which had a yellower tint. When I hunt with others and we are searching the same area, even though my light maybe be much brighter and emitting more light, at times I can see the tree better with their more yellow tinted, more focused light.

As far as budget, given that I am now going to add a new battery type, I will need to increase. I would like to stay around <$40 for the light, lower if possible until I figure out what I am actually doing, then add batteries and charger for another ~ $40 if possible?

That’s certainly a workable budget, what you want is a neutral white led, what you probably have is a cool white. I’m just taking my Mrs to the hospital for an x-ray, but I’ll come back later with some suggestions. And no worries with the help, its why we’re all here. :bigsmile:

I am using this charger and it seems to be doing fine. I have checked my voltages after charging and everything seems OK. This is the same charger repackaged by the seller of the Wicked W400 light which is US-based seller of chinese components lights.

I have some Tenergy 18650 batteries (US based all-battery seller on eBay) as well as a couple Keeppower cells from this seller. Both of these are good, with the Keeppower ones having longer capacity.

OK, dct73 and others have my little brain pondering the c8’s.

The http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-64/L-dsh-mini-flashlight-nylon-holster/Detail dct73 reccomended is in budget, I like the high lumens, and is apparently in a tint I would like, and is US based, sounds perfect, but I am still struggling with the beam I would get.

For arguments sake, lets say its between this light and the small sun c-10, how does the small sun c10’s beam , when zoomed in compare to the romisen c8? Would I get a good tight throw without much shadowing from objects in the forground with the romisen c8? Which would be brighter?

As I have thought about this further, I have used a hand held spot in the past, I am now thinking of this light in that regard, so I can forego the zoomie function if I can get a good tight throw. Reality is this light may never be used for a walking light, because if my primary fails I also keep a small AAA led headlamp in my vest as a back up. I have used a Stanley 520 Lumen led spot and found it to be medicore, there is a company marketing a cordless spot to coon hunters for $150, I found it adequate, but not impressive.

I will relinquish to a c8 thrower for performance if the beam would be as good or better than what I have seen from the LED spots out there (but my ideal would be a zoomie that could do it all LOL).