Need help finding multi-cell semi-thrower

Hi
Long time lurker, first post…

I am in the need of some advice:
I have (among other lights) an Eagle Eye X6R that i like, but i feel the need for MOAR, as usual.

My predicament is that i do not need all that much more lumens (dont hit me) but rather a little (no pencil beam) more throw and a bunch of room for cells. I am also quite cheap, so major brands are not really in my budget i guess.

I am thinking something like a flashlight with 2-6 18650’s and a throw from around my X6R to maybe double that. My interest is in a good runtime, not max throw for a couple of minutes and then a light that is sagging with low voltage/overheating. I guess that also means i prefer serial cells to parallell, but i am open to all good suggestions.

In-light charging is a plus, but not at all a must.
More cells is better than less cells :slight_smile:

So, what do you think, is there something for me out there?

this sound like a soda/soup can type of light.
The cheap Sky Ray Kings can be scored for as low as $16 but you will need to reflow with real XML2s because they mostly come with nasty blueish tinted LaticeBright LEDs (so a triple needs you to reflow 3, getting a 7 LEDded means you need to buy7 LEDs)

But then driver can be bad so that will cost you.

Starting at $40 you can get the Supfire M6 at Mountain Electronics, a nice light that is good.
Shipping may boost the price you have to pay, maybe China vendors sell it as well (never looked for it)

Thanks for your fast reply The Miller.
Forgot to mention, i am not US-based, so US-vendors often get quite expensive on the shipping, so China/Europe/included international shipping is prefered.
And modding is not for me, yet anyway.

I will check the supfire out, havent a clue about performance on that one.

bright, floody, good cooling, several cells in parallel so longer runtimes.
Good light (though I do not have one, it gts recommended so often and I have seen so much info and pics about it I still dare to suggest it.
We try to do a Sky Ray King new style that should be like a good quad Supfire (which is triple)

How much would you b willing to spend (incl shipping?)

Convoy L6 maybe??

This has cells in series, this doubles the voltage but the mAh stays the same.
Cells in parallel remain the same voltage but the mAh goes up, thus the runtime.

Charles beat me to it…. the L6 is a fantastic balance of throw and flood. Easily out throws most of my throwers, has an absolute massive amount of output, and has enough spill to use it for everyday use. I’m not sure you’ll find a better “all around,” multi-cell light at such a great price/quality ratio.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Yes, I understand that. That is why I said “maybe”. L6 is nice price, large hot spot with wide spill, throw quite nice distance. Good running time if use 2x 5000mAh 26500 cells.

Wow, a bit of lunch and a lot of new info! You guys are amazing…
I am quite invested on 18650 (100+ cells and no 26500 at all), but i will check Convoy L6 out. (maybe there is converter/inserts?)

A soda can light may be more interesting on the other side, regarding my longing for a light with more cells in it. If i were to settle on just two cells i think the Convoy L4 is my (yet) single light on my shortlist. I just wished i could have i similar beamprofile but a gigantic amount of cells and a good heatsink.

Perfect would be a light able to do around 1000 lumens, throwing a couple of hundred yards for 4-5 hours before dropping.

I have the Klarus G 30. It is a great soda can light with longer run times. Through a group buy on here or CPF you should be able to get it for around $50.00.

Bob

Hahaha
OK I got it
A light that uses a power bank or external power source where you can stash your 18650 cells in for that many hours of bright light
I know only of 4 parallel cells max. In flashlights
Could be a nice modding project making g something with 7 (that would fill the tube so nicely!) But commercial flashlights producing 900-1000 lumens for so long, hmm…

Ok, so reality comes in and spoils my day?
So, if i lower my expectations, is there any other semi-throwers/multi-cell lights that is of note? And is my idea of Convoy L4 (with extender) a decent choice?

To keep it short, my ideal light will sacrifice high lumen count for a long (preferebly regulated) runtime and a semi throwing to throwing beam profile.
My ideal light definetly would be something like my Eagle Eye X6R, but larger and carrying multiple cells. (And as i said earlier, a biiit more throw doesnt hurt)

Hmm how are the less then high modes on the Palight Boss1?
It takes 5 18650 cells parallel and throws yeah!

A quick googling found it on gearbest, but as i understand it the cell ut uses is 26650.
I will check it out closer after work but it looked “fun” to use.

And again, thanks for your answer!

Maybe you could buy a Convoy C8 host, then purchase a bunch of extension tubes (however long you want), and a driver that can drop the voltage down for a regular XML style emitter? Pretty much a long Maglite without the incandescent bulb.

I pitched a similar project to a member on here who works close with Convoy (J-dubs). I think it would be hugely popular for law enforcement officers for a C cell style Maglite replacement. Pretty much a Convoy C8 with a couple extensions in a 18650 form.

i thought it uses 4 x 26650 OR 5 x 18650

It might, but not as i understand it on gearbest. I will check closer when i get home…

From this review

Doesn’t that nearly exist in the form of the Convoy L4? Wouldn’t it just need a different driver?

I’m nearing completion on my G30 review. While it is a nice light it has very little throw. About 75% of the throw from an old Convoy XML C8. Though like you said, it does have a pretty long runtime