Need help with a Green emitter Hog hunting light build AND Orange/Red outputs ;)

+1, Mouser, sorry... I find it looks very close to a red. Even the dye is same color, same XP-E format w/lines.

These are the ones I ordered: mouser=XPEBRO-L1-0000-00C01, it's bin Q4.

The green I ordered: mouser=XPEBGR-L1-0000-00F01, it's bin R3. There was a higher bin green, but it was spec'd with a high Vf, like 3.7 (low amps), so I didn't go for that.

Ok thanks guys, Mouser :frowning: that is to bad.

I have asked Richard to stock some before, but i don’t know if he will, at least i know where they can be bought now.

Yeah they are very close to red, the Orange-red is 620nm & red is 630nm. I plan to combine them with the amber 590nm, deep(photo) red 660nm, and possible Lime green luxeon 550nm.
Each of them cover their rated spectrum including +–5nm.

This is for maximum contrast, acuity & colour rendition in the allowed spectrum for in house after dark (non melanopsin affecting) lights :wink:

Now that i think over this again, i think maybe it would be better to skip the Orange-red, to not get an overly red push in the spectra by doubling up so close emitters.

So 550nm,590nm, 630nm & 660nm is a pretty nice even spread. But if i have learnt anything here, it is that photonics is crazy hard to try to be correctly intuitive about, if you aren’t a math wiz :wink: so i am maybe missing something obvious. For example to account for the lessening frequency response of the eyes, so maybe it would be a good idea to use more red to even out the colours……

Cajampa, I’m probably making a mouser order in the near future. If you want something just let me know and I’ll get it and mail it to you.

> i am maybe missing something obvious.

You might consider emailing some of the people who have published research — I grew up an academic brat and learned early on how very few scientists ever get fan mail (grin) or more to the point ever get questions that are actually interesting from people who’ve actually read some of their research. You can really brighten up someone’s day by asking a question.

Every published science journal article has a “corresponding author” designated — the one of the authors who has agreed to take email from people with questions.

I’ve never asked exactly the question you want to ask (and I’m not sure quite how to ask it — but I’d be glad to try to draft something that would get the researchers’ attention for a minute or two).

You could start by saying you’re one of an online community interested in building LED light sources better than the simple monochromatic amber (or red) ones, and have experience doing that, and ….

I’ve collected info since 2007 in a thread started by one of the regular writers at this site, thanks to very tolerant hosts: http://psychcentral.com/blog/discuss/1350/page/4/#comments

I’ve corresponded with one of the authors of this study (note the little ‘mail envelope’ icon next to his name) — he might be a good person to begin asking about what kind and intensity of LED wavelengths should add up to a good result:

Evaluating Potential Spectral Impacts of Various Artificial Lights on Melatonin Suppression, Photosynthesis, and Star Visibility

Also look at
Light Spectral Indices by Martin Aube — these are the PowerPoint slides for the information published there

I’m gonna tell Norm y’all hijacked my green thread with red/orange talk… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks n10sivern :slight_smile: i will take you up on that, i had actually planned to PM you with this exact request one of these days :wink:
But the days always run out before i get to it :smiley:

Thanks hank :slight_smile: i will read up on those links,
And i finally managed to find a proper supplier of gel films in Sweden :party:, Lee & Rosco. so if you know by heart the best gels to start experimenting with, please shot me a PM :slight_smile:
I just ordered a A3 sheath of read acetate film on ebay to try out, i heard astronomers like those in several layers to cut out unwanted non read spectrum light from light sources in observatories for example.

I might take you up on the communicate with the researchers idea, but now the biggest hold up for me to start experimenting with this coloured leds practically, and the reason i haven’t ordered all the parts yet is.
I want to be able to run them from a 12v car battery source with linear dimmers (the dimmers cuts less than 1v), and i can’t get a handle on if for example i run 4(~9.2v) or 5(~11.5v) coloured xp-e/2 in serial with an average of 2.3 Vf per led. Will they survive running them DD? Or do i need to put an smd resistor on the pads on the mcpcb to limit max current. And if i do i have no clue on how to work out the needed calculations.

I just now mostly lack the ability to work out the needed mathto feel comfortable in knowing exactly what i need to make this work. And not just burn leds in trial & error until i work it out.

I think i am on the right track & i suspect 4-5 of thoses leds could run DD but i am not sure.

Ooops, Sorry FrownSmile

Also oops sorry, but thank you anyway for letting us digress …

More or less on topic, someone asked why not just use a green filter — here’s why:
first, you have an emission spectrum from the LED — it puts out the light as photons across the spectrum, more in some wavelengths than others.
Here, pick one: http://spectra.1023world.net/#item
The higher the curve the more photons — say you want only green, you want to lose everything but that green part of the output (notice that with all “white” emitters most of the energy is actually in the blue — it’s the rest of the photons mixed in that gives you the cool or warm “white” color temperature, which is how your eye/brain sums up all those wavelengths.

So you pass that through a filter, again, here, pick one of the green ones:

(on that page you have to click a little icon to see what part of the spectrum it allows through (transmits); the page tells you what total percentage brightness it allows through
So you pick a green filter and it transmits maybe 30 percent or so of the total light, and this amount of each wavelength:

So with a “white” emitter and a green filter you are cutting out a whole lot of the light produced to leave only the part you want.

Or, pick a green LED — which puts all its photons out in a fairly narrow band.

Ain’t BLF Grand? :bigsmile:

You use a pink lee filter to get the green out of a mossy de-domed Cree. Just sayin. Oh, and that comes with a 20-40% loss of light output. :wink:

Edit: Again, oh, and that’s IF you find the right filter that can take the heat. Most will shrivel up from the excessive output while you’re trying to reach downrange. Which is, of course, why a filter usually won’t work.

Y’all go ahead and figure out the red-orange thing, it’s interesting and I’m done with the green light. :bigsmile:

LOL