Need help with Carclo lens - Ideas what to do with this light: zoomie ==> non-zoomie?

Hi,

Actually, I really like how this is now, vs. the aspheric and zoom. I still have a couple of other zoomies, but may start converting all of them like this.

For this one, I really wish that I could find a slightly larger diameter condensor, and also a more guaranteed way to center the condensor.

I’m thinking that I may just glue the condensor to the emitter PCB using arctic alumina. I don’t really want to do that, because it makes it semi-permanent, but I don’t see any other obvious way to keep the condensor in place, so if anyone has any ideas, post them!

Edit: Thanks for reminding me re. current! I just measured it and it’s not so hot… ~1.04 amps :(…

Does it have to be below 1.2 amps to do the dedome?

Edit 2: I just found that Illumination Supply has a Carclo lens that’s approx. 26+ mm, which would fit perfectly in the bezel of this light, so I ordered a couple of these. If they do fit correctly, it should make centering much easier :)!

Hi,

I just got the Carclo lens(es) from IS. I ordered these:

https://illuminationsupply.com/led-optics-c-52_33/carclo-10048-265mm-plain-tight-tir-p-173.html#.UZ6AvbUqZ8c

which fit the bezel/head of the zoomie almost perfectly.

However, the lens itself has a kind of “nub” at the top edge. It’s kind of hard to see it in the image on that page, but it kind of sticks out just a little bit from the side of the lens, and so, when I put it into the head, it kind of pushes the lens slightly off-center.

I think that that nub is there because it kind of holds the lens in place in the optics holder (which didn’t arrive yet), but I’m thinking that I should just grind that nub off with a dremel, so that I can get the lens centered better over the LED, and use the lens without a holder.

Has anyone worked with these lenses before? If I grind that nub off will that affect the optics?

Thanks,
Jim

Edit:

Here’s what it looks like with the Carclo lens in the light:

And, here’s a really ugly white wall with the Carclo lens (badly-centered):

The optic holder is suppose to come in. Maybe if that fits, it’ll work better?

Due to the way those things handle the light, if you grind on it that spot has to be re-polished. I would leave it and find some other way to get it centered.

That was what I worried about :(… Hopefully, when the holders come in, it’ll make it easier.

LOL. Yes, my purpose in life seems to be to ruin things, and then warn others what not to do.