Need help with this Beam Tech bt-4000

hi everyone… i was wondering if anybody also have the same problem with me…
my beam techBT 4000 is kaput, tried everything… seems the driver fried
i hate to throw this $50+ flashlight away :frowning:
does anyone know where i can get drop in for this light?

i think the driver is glued… can’t take the reflector out either
anybody have any idea?
thanks

No idea, but welcome to BLF!

Looks like the driver is soldered to the pill(brass part). If you can, unscrew the pill from the reflector(strap wrench or inner tube and vise etc.). Since brass and aluminum have a different coefficient of expansion, heating the whole thing might free up the threads. Then unsolder the spring(save) (put the pill in a vise, hold the spring with tweezers, heat with an iron until the solder melts, and pull/slide the spring off). Repeat for the driver except using a small flat screwdriver or knife instead of tweezers. You will need a higher wattage iron to unsolder the driver if you are unable to remove the pill from the reflector first. That looks like possibly a ~20mm driver board. Source from international outdoor. Reassemble in reverse order. Good luck and post your progress. It helps us all. :slight_smile:

The problem with the drop-in design of the BT-4000 is one of the thermal path, or lack thereof. There is very little contact with the head, and the heat generated by the LEDs and driver is unable to escape.

You may end up repairing it, only to have the driver fry again.

I like the design of this compact 1 x 26650 driver, but as C.X. mentioned above, the lack of thermal management due to a "floating pill design" is a huge flaw in this light. Unless you can improve heat transfer away from the LEDs, you'll likely fry any driver you replace.

It's kind of an after thought, but when looking into purchasing multi-LED lights (esp. XML's) you really need to pay attention to how well the light manages heat. A better design of a triple XML is the Trustfire TR-3T6 here and reviewed here. The entire light engine screws into the head providing more efficient heat transfer away from the LEDs and driver.

thank you guys for the suggestions… i’ll try that… and i’ll try to take pictures along the way… maybe someday somebody could use the help too… as far as the heat… someone suggest me to line the pill with aluminum foil and it will help transfer the heat somewhat :slight_smile:
maybe i’ll find some copper ring and mode it so it touch the head and transfer heat even more…
now i just need to find me a driver for this… any suggestions? :slight_smile: