Need reccomendation for LED Flashlights ASAP ( for charity ), $5 - $12

Your going to have a lot of trouble getting good AA or AAA lights at your price range, $20-25 would open up a whole new world but i understand your cost restraints.
Could you maybe approach a few companies and see if they are willing to donate to sell you lights at cost, because nothing worse then spending money to get junk, in that case your better off spending the money on something that is not a light for better value.

Final thought, how about an SK68, not a great light but can be had for under $10 and is perhaps the best light you can get in your price range, there are so many garbage lights in your price range its scary and easy to end up with junk. However i would buy one to see if its any good, quality is variable since this light is made by so many no name companies, you may get some excellent and some garbage lights in the same order form the same company.

Hi Rick,

I didn’t know that the first two couldn’t take regular batteries. I thought it would be AA and that it could take regular or rechargeable. Thanks for letting me know that.

I can also buy them at Home Depot or Lowes locally if there’s a good deal there.

I would go for the small zoomie light. 1AA small size and three mode, all will be impressed by it.

Nothing beats the sk68 clone. Can be had for between $3 - $6 shipped.

Recently, there has been solarforce S01 at about $ 12-15. Both can be had from fasttech or any other vendor. The sk68 is a nice light for the money and is quite well built actually.

I was also trying to decide if the multi-mode lights would be better or worse. On one hand, they offer high & low beams so the batteries can last longer if a high beam isn’t needed. The strobe also seems like it could be used for something (not sure what though).

But, I also thought it might be less reliable because of the more complicated circuitry. I don’t know.

That mini Cree was the first one I looked at since it’s Amazon’s #1 seller & Prime. I thought that for $3.50 it might break easily though, or eat batteries fast. We don’t want to buy a flashlight that will end up being a burden because it’s expensive to run.

I was going to say SK68’s but thinking about it more I think it would be best to get a two or three mode twisty light for fewer parts to go bad (no switch to go out, no exterior rubber parts, only one o-ring). To bad the Thrunite Ti doesn’t come in AA (I agree don’t use AAA, AA’s just have so much more capacity).

One of the best 1xAA twisty’s on the market IMO is the L3 illumination L10, they’re out of your price range but like Bort said maybe you could get a vendor to work with you, try Jake from SBFlashlights (a member here).

Also check out the Defiant brand at Home Depot. They have a single mode 1xAA that I believe is <$5. The only problem is no low for longer run-time but how many kids are going to think about that and use low to increase battery life? I know my daughters don’t get it, they just turn their SK68’s and L10’s (each of my 3 kids has one of each) to high for everything.

edit the defiant brand 1xAA at Home Depot is $7

Where do these kids end up at night? Camped out? I can see a (very) low setting being useful for tent illumination. High would be too bright and eat the battery in a single sitting.

BTW-that light I linked to is one of the SK68 clones being mentioned repeatedly. Most folks in the forum have some. I use them for give-aways just because they are cheap, run on AA, and actually don’t work badly. I have one as an everyday carry in my ‘man purse’.

Here is their best AA light for the money. If you are lucky you can sometimes find the camo version for as low as $4!!! Some of us are Home Depot light lovers. lol

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-2-AA-100-Lumen-Flashlight-DIY2AA-B/202968168

I have several of these. I gave one to my daughter. This light is a virtual tank! It has good run time. High & Low. Perfect for homeless. Mine came with batteries too.

Give us your zip code and we can search your local home depot inventory or you can do likewise.

If you go in person and speak with the local manager or GM they will likely give you a bulk purchase discount also your cause is worth mentioning. I get discounts everywhere I go, just have to ask.

Alkalines don’t do well in a high brightness light, if you were to draw enough to get over 100 lumens it will cut the life of the battery by over 50%, NiMH rechargeables are far better, lower lifetime cost of ownership, will work normally in high brightness lights, but your cost constraints are a big impediment, your looking at $20-25 for the light, $10 for 4 batteries and perhaps a solar charger (no idea but i am thinking $10-25) but then the kids would be set for years if not more then a decade without another penny spent, no new batteries, more light, self sufficient recharging, etc. If only there is a way you can pull it off

So in your case you want a low brightness light since your using alkalines, where are you located, home depot’s defiant lights are pretty good, but the alkaline batteries are a big problem. Is there a way you can offer a recharging service?

you mean in general or when your buying for a cause?

Next time you go to walmart, home depot any big box store, ask for the Manager. Use some charm and ask for some Help. You will be amazed. Drives the wife nuts, but 10% off is quick and easy. Just think, employees get 10% off! You can too. Sometimes they have a open box in the back too. Or a return that can be had for super cheap. Saved $400 on my last laptop purchase from Best Buy. Got a macbook pro cheap, older lady bought it and couldn’t use it. Brought it back. I scooped it up after some silver tongue talking. lol

SK68 clone, the one Flydiver linked above is a great example:

http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Light/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref%3Dsr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1398524044&sr=1-1&keywords=led+aa+flashlight

Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
by FordEx Group
Price: $3.49 & FREE Shipping

Note that complicated page has a lot of “bundles” associated with different descriptions at far higher prices.

If you want to make it the best for kids, then buy Energizer AA lithium primary cells. Each one costs almost as much as the flashlight — and worth it. They last a long time. They DON’T CORRODE AND LEAK and RUIN THE LIGHT. Seriously. And they work when it’s freezing cold, unlike alkaline batteries. Alkalines get very weak when it’s cold. That matters a lot, outdoors.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Lithium-Batteries-8-count-Longer/dp/B0000DC4EL

Yeah, there are better lights — people have suggested several. But these things are going to get traded away for something a kid wants more at the moment, lost, whatever. What costs kids nothing, they won’t hang on to — that’s how it works.

The ‘zoom’ feature is neat enough kids like that. And the lens can be just unscrewed and it becomes a very wide area light, very useful. Those features make it worth hanging on to.

Note these SK lights are going to be very inconsistent, you never know for sure what you’re getting. Look at the reviews for this one, someone actually lists many of the suppliers and what they claim they’re selling, a useful list:
http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Light/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2BP7G18Z8EHR9#productDetails

ALTERNATIVE: try looking at dorcydirect.com
and contact Dorcy and ask them to offer you something good for this purpose.
There are real people there, I’ve gotten consistently good products, and the one time something failed they sent a replacement immediately. They have lots of choices. Not what the flashlight addicts will recommend, but for kids like you’re serving, several of Dorcy’s lights would be good — and consistent, reliable, predictable.

Stay with the Energizer Lithium AAs — for cold weather.

2xAA light for $4 (actually less, contact them for their discounts)

Or — go with AAA cells (also Energizer Lithium) and a simple low powered light:

(Dorcydirect always has significant discounts from list price, contact them and ask)

Giving kids a low power LED flashlight is a good idea.

Giving kids a high power LED flashlight can be a bad, bad idea.

This should be thought out more. The OP will be throwing money away otherwise. Or worse, be giving kids something potentially dangerous.

http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus-Light/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref%3Dsr_1_1?s=hi&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1398524044&amp;sr=1-1&amp;keywords=led+aa+flashlight

There isn't a better light than this for the money they are tough and cheap .There is a massive sk68 clone following on this site Just type sk68 in the search if you really want to know . I know guys who work with them for years and come to ask me for another ....only because they lost the one they'd used day in and day out for years . They are also all over ebay .. Going price is normaly about 5$ so 3.50 is a deal ..Kids love the zoom feature .. so do adult kids ..Buy extras .

For kids, AA go with the SK68…zoomie, AA

Pretty much disposable but work very well and the price can’t be beat

They are the BIC lighter of cree flashlights…everyone should have at least one

Yup…I have bought no less than 18 of these…modded a few (me and the kid put a XM-L T6-4C in his on a sinkpad, he loves it…that is if he can keep from loosing it) and have given away all but 3 or 4 of them…my brother in law uses his at work for pipe inspection as the zoom part reaches out better with a tight beam to get down into tight spaces and yes, he has already lost the first one I gave him so he now has 2x haha

I have an EDC Convoy S5 I carry everywhere…but my single mode SK68 is always in my left front pocket

you need utility though, i find zoomies don’t offer any distance vision which is needed at night, all you get is a wall of light that lights up your close area or zoomed out for a pencil spot, but what you need is something with a mild hotspot so you get both

I was in the basement of the apartment i lived in a few years back, i had my 150 lumen zoomie (Dorcy light) and my roomates LD20, it made my light look like a pile of junk, it threw 100 ft like nobodys business, mine had to be zoomed out and you could only see the wall at the end of the room

Of course my first XM-L C8 blew them both out of the water, but that is another discussion

The OP said the lights are needed by NEXT WEEK.

Anything that ships direct from China will take too long.

You forget fedex shipping…but that drives the price WAY up

if you need NOW…then get some of those 3xAAA 9LED jobbies from home depot or lowes or harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/led-flashlight-mini-2-piece-9-led-3-12-69112.html 2x for $3.19

One-mode sk68 eats a lot of batteries, and gets hot. That just eliminates it as an option in my opinion, whereas 3-mode sk68 is still acceptable. Pretty sure people will quickly learn to switch to low mode to get much longer runtime.

Reliability for the two is similar - I don’t think you should worry about that.

Still, requirement to get it next week cuts a lot of options.

Those are a much better idea than the 1xAA Zoomies. They are bright enough for emergencies, there’s almost nothing in them to break, and they have decent battery life on normal batteries.

The 1xAA Zoomie only runs for about 30 minutes on an alkaline AA. That seems kind of a cruel thing to give to a kid who will probably view it foremost as a very neat toy and will want to play around with it for a while.