Need Some Convoy Help

So I’m looking for some good EDC, put in the cars, around the house kind of lights and I believe the Convoy S series of lights will fit the bill. Planning to order the hosts from Mtn Electronics and build them up myself. My problem is I can’t decide which one(s) to get. What are the differences between the S3, S2, & S6? Also noticed that Illum. Supply has a S4 to throw in the mix (although it’s a finished light, not a host)

What’s everyone’s opinions? Or is there something better (of course staying in the budget category) that I might like better? Currently I’m using a 502b (which I love) but just looking for something just a bit smaller. Not too much…just a bit :slight_smile:

I have two S2s and an S2. I really like the S2 (a little better than the S2). It has a good throwy beam, plus plenty of spill light. I have one S2 with an XP-G2 and one with an XM-L2. They both perform well with the S2 Reflector. The S2+ has a rather shallow reflector, very similar to the S3. It gives a broader and floodier beam, which can be useful in close quarters or indoors. That may suit the needs you mentioned in your original post.

Get one of each!

I bought an S6 because of the matte black anodizing and lack of logo. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them and you will enjoy them more knowing you built them yourself.

The S6 won't accept protected cells.

+1 I Think the Convoy S series hosts make for terrific budget lights.

I like the looks of the S6 better than the S2. If you don’t already have a bunch of protected cells, the S6 could be a better light due to its smaller size. If you already have a bunch of protected cells, they will fit in the S2 or S3, but not the S6.

You forgot to mention the s8

So what about the S4 or S3? No opinions on either of them? I’m leaning towards building a S6 and a S2. I’ll keep whichever I like better and give the other to the wife :slight_smile:

The S3 is also very nice and will accept protected cells. It is a bit shorter than the S2 due to the shorter, floodier, reflector. It also has very nice fit and finish and I like the tailcap/switch quite a bit.

Lol…and there’s the man himself who I’m going to order all of this stuff from :slight_smile: Thanks for opening a store that has almost everything I need, in the US, that has already started an intimate relationship with my wallet :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. Now looks like I might have to add a S3 to the bunch to see if I like it better. What do you recommend for emitters? I have a few extra XM-L’s and XM-L2’s laying around was just planning on using some of those driven to around 2.8A. I’m not looking for massive throw or eye popping power. Just a good balance of throw and flood in a form factor that’s easy to carry around in case I don’t want to use a holster.

That's a good setup, I generally run mine at around 3A for a reasonable balance between output and heat/runtime. The XM-L(2)s work great in all of the Convoys, the XP-G2 also works well with the S2/S6 but is a bit harder to get focused well in the S3 reflector.

This.

Except for the “in case” part. I just don’t want “belt cancer”.

I’m curious if anyone has had experience with a TIR like this one in one of these torches…? I’m loving the TIR beamshots here (it links to the #2 post — scroll up a little for beamshots) and just can’t decide what degree would be best for work use…

I recently installed 10 degree TIR (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007055/1574902-21-2-12-6mm-pmma-optical-lens-for-cree-xm-l-t5-t6) in old xiaozhi host (S6 should me more or less the same)

No beam shots available atm, but beam is fantastic with big hot spot and perfectly smooth transition to spill…

The TIRs are nice in the S3 if you want a more uniform beam than what a reflector gives you, although I don't think they are quite as optically efficient as a reflector + good lens. For some applications they are a good solution.

I am awaiting an order from LEDDNA which includes a 10 degree optic. It should fit perfectly in my S2. I believe the S2 uses the same reflector as the S3, so the optic should fit nicely in the S3. Here is the one I ordered:

LEDDNA 10 Degree Optic

Good information! Thanks! For me, Throw actually works against me, at work, so 10° would be extreme. Even the 15° beam shown (Very Impressive though it is) is too tight.

But as to the TIRs in general, do they absolutely require the glass lens (which protects them from scratches I understand), or are they durable enough to not need glass? Are their faces as flat as the glass lenses? Looking at a 13mm long TIR, where the existing Reflector + glass are 13mm. The glass is 2mm, which would make lens + TIR ~15mm… Not sure that’s a problem, but it could be in a really small torch, especially with a brass hat at B- (they jam & dent batteries).

I’m assuming the PMMA doesn’t participate in Heat Management… How well do these transfer heat to the hand w/o reflectors?

FWIW, I’m thinking Momentary-ON (can we call it “peek-a-boo”?) switch, 3C XM-L(2), 2.8A Nanjg-105c, if that matters. To me, the S5 (at 115*23*60g) looks better than the S3 at (115*24*72g) on the outside, but not OTF. PMMA to the rescue!

I’ve finally found Singles at FT, just trying to decide what angle would balance dissipation with spread. Widest “wall-o-lumens” flood without losing too many foot-lamberts…

You don't need the glass lens with the TIR, in fact it will alter the beam and can lead to more optical losses if used. Most of the TIRs are plenty flat enough to seal up with the stock o-rings.

The S2 with a triple nichia + optic is the dog’s nads.