Need Suggestions: Budget Firefly/Moonlight & low modes

I would love some suggestions for a budget light with great low mode options to experiment with.

I have experience with ~3 lumen low mode on my LD01, which I rather like. I would love to play with some more!
I prefer warmer tint for this, but otherwise very open. Maybe 21700 or smaller? I’ve poked around and just haven’t seen anything particularly suitable. Which do you love? =D

The classic BLF A6 on the 7 mode setting

22 USD at banggood with samsung bat using cod ac18

for the ultimate in infinite low, I love the RRT-01, but it does not come with High CRI, and you may not consider it “budget” priced.

Manker E02 does come with a High CRI option
has a programmable minimum from super low firefly up to 4 lumens

I would buy the Nichia LED version
review here of the horrible XP-G3 version with green tint

If you don’t yet have a Thrunite Ti3 it is a great addition to your pocket. Excellent moonlight mode. Pretty much unnoticeable in your pocket yet not too difficult to locate due to great knurling. Has very short memory but otherwise always starts on moonlight. I love it for moving around the house at night without waking my wife. Mid mode clipped on a hat makes a very acceptable dog walking (find the poop;-) light and will do that for over 6 hours on a AAA.

My next light may be a BLF A6 as I also love a good moonlight. The TN4a also has an excellent moonlight with the ability to go over 1000 lumens and the NW version is a wonderful warm tone to my eye. Love the fact that it uses AA NiMh cells. However, this makes it a quite different light than a tube light like the BLF A6. It is also not a budget light. Great light for the house though…

astrolux ec01 has low mode like that costs like 25$or so… runs on 21700

Manker E02 or E03 is available with warmer Nichia tint and has configurable low mode - you can set it up to be way below 1 lm if you wish.

Yh the Ti3 has a really low moonlight mode. NOT high cri but the XPG2 tint is noticeably better than xml/xpl.

I have two lights that I use at night. One is budget, one not so much:

Armytek tiara aa - the lowest level is actually too low for me. I use the second level and it’s just right. Not really a budget light but sure works well.

Sofirn sp10a - the lowest level is about right for navigating at night and could easily be lowered a bit with a diffuser or tape or something similar.

John.

Get the FW3A. You will own arguably the best EDC flashlight and the lowest setting is around 0.5 lumen if i’m not mistaken.
If you just want a super affordable flashlight to play around then the get Astrolux A01. It cost around 8$ and the lowest setting is 0.1 lumen. I have one and even in pitch black you can not see much further than 3 meters.

it actually costs $38 atm
and it uses anduril, which does not go lower than 2 lumens
and it is not High CRI

x2
those have many sublumen options
And they are available in High CRI

agree, also available in titanium, but no High CRI

neither is High CRI and the Sofirn does not have moonlight level:

The Armytek has a 0.1 firefly, and a 2 lumen level above that. But nothing inbetween. Also No High CRI

actually Anduril cant go lower than 2 lumens

FWIW, the OP did not ask for high CRI.

I really like my Thrunite Ti3 but it is not the V2. The new V2s do not all default to FF and no way to know which one you will receive.
The Ti version is one of least expensive titanium AAAs available at about $20.

Sofirn SP10S. High CRI, AA or 14500,and has a 0.5 lumen moonlight.

A Convoy with a 219C and four 7135 chips or less has a 0.1% Biscotti mode that is essentially moonlight. I have an S2+ like that and I adore it.

:+1:

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I just ordered a Nichia E03, it looks perfect for what I’m thinking! The RRT01 looks pretty interesting at the sale price. I let it pass by though, maybe next time. I’ve never seen anything like that.

The programmable options from Manker are more than I hoped for in experimenting. It was hard to choose between the sizes - the AAA is kinda cute.

I think I like higher CRI but I don’t have wide enough experience to feel strongly about it yet. I do know I dislike cold tints! My eyes are a bit sensitive to that type of strain I guess.

A bit sad that Anduril only goes down to 2lm, though I guess most people would be happy with that for general use. I looked at the FW3A, seems very cool, but wondered how the switch/tube mechanism would last in the long run. Do any of you have that concern?

Sofirn SP10B has a very low brightness on level 1

The updated Sofirn SP10Av2 or SP10S lowest brightness mode is still low, but not as low as the SP10B.

I’ll probably call the lowest mode of the SP10B as “firefly” mode (really low brightness), while the ones on the SP10B is “Moon” — probably has similar brightness to the lowest brightness level on the BLF A6/Astrolux S1.

Manker E02’s “moon” mode is configurable and can go really really low (can even be set to barely visible even directly looking at the LED itself), but has many levels (something like 20 or so steps, so one can set the amount of brightness that they want to; having a high-CRI Nichia 219C is also a plus)

FWIW you can still grab it for under $25 with a discount code.

Clearance Sale Now!! E02,E02H and E03H 50% OFF

I second the BLF A6 on 7 mode & mode memory off. Very low moonlight…. A true firefly mode.