New Basic UI (based on FSM/Anduril code) - do you like it?

Updates on FC112:

- added separate moon mode for discrete ramping :partying_face: - so the lowest mode is available from off, but later is not included in ramping, like in Lux-Perpetua’s chart

- updated manual: fc112-manual.md

• reduced discrete ramping steps on most flashlight configurations

FC112 UI Manual

Source code

HEX files (select the one you want, then click “Raw”, then save as hex file).

def needs battery check!!
i would like something to change ramping speed too
but that is just me

also i would like a muggle mode

Of course. Means, you need to wait to continue ramping up. This is unnecessary.

Hasn’t bothered me in every ramping ui to date. The question is, as a simple ui, would sticking to a single click be easier or introduce 2H?

d_damian has created something a little different and good on him for having a go, I wish I knew how….

Can’t you stick to Anduril for a muggle mode? This is ideally something simple for most users, if config options and alternative modes get thrown in then it’s a failed idea and another Anduril

Not only for a muggle. Hold for up and click & hold for down is foolproof. Since I rarely use Andúril, I always make the mistake to ramp down when I want the opposite. This one-click downramping within a short time is nonsense since it is based on the prediction that the user ramped up too far instead of too little. I don’t know where this is coming from, for me, I am way too careful and so most of the time need to have a little brighter.

oh
sure
i like anduril as is, as you might be able to guess

ok - ignore me

wle

BTW - yes, blinking out voltage is very nice if the driver supports it. And I think they all do if they have LVP, right? It’s just a matter of free programming steps in the MCU.

What flashlight model do you have to flash and test firmware? I can build hex with suggested change in ramping for you so you could test it :slight_smile:

I have some ATTiny85 and currently trying to build quadrupels FET+1 design for an Amutorch. If it works, I can make another one to test ex flashlight. But I know I’ll love my changes :smiley: .

Agreed.

OK, I made changes in a temporary branch:

- Removed auto reverse ramp

- Added wrapping in stepped mode to min mode

• Removed safety functionality to lock the light if the button is stuck (conflict with stepped mode wrapping).

HEX files

Manual

Please let me know what you think.

There is battery check: 3C from off. Sorry, I didn’t have time to update manual.

Interesting….I guess having ramping up one way by holding, makes it similar to stepped. I’m not against the idea anymore, it’s just different

Click ’n hold ramps down.

I never questioned the way Andúril works since I was used to it from Narsil, where it was necessary (change of ramping direction). But after becoming familiar with Crescendo, I learned it is much easier to never have a button action depending on the timing. Operating the light becomes an automatism.

Maybe it’s just me and my mind. Others may comment on my idea please, I’m curious what they think.

1 Thank

I like the idea a lot honestly. It doesn’t really make anything more complicated. I really have no idea about how Anduril is written, but it sounds like the only thing that needs changed is shortening time delay from ~1s to idk, 300mS ?

I often run into the same thing. I stop to soon in the ramp and have to wait that awkward second to continue. I’ve adapted by now, but I still prefer this for my style of use.

2 Thanks

I played a bit with this idea and I like it a lot. 1H to always ramp up is a game changer. I’m also curious what others think.

2 Thanks

That's kind of the UI I would like as well! Very simple and straight forward. No programmable fluff.

Good stuff :)

Just for my own records in case I forget ;) (so you can ignore)

I would like these settings, but don't need the strobe features, battery check, or Button LED settings.

Although I can see the reason for having a battery check somewhere.

I too would be fine with JUST batt check. I can’t remember a time I needed ANY flashing mode. Bike strobe I’ve used before just because it was there, but that can be save for a bike specific UI.

I use batt check multiple times a week. VERY valuable IMO

Since we're talking custom UI's, I've just cooked myself a more.. sensible UI for an EDC, unlike for a Hot-Rod.. It's Anduril 2 basically with my own touch, what I've found to be more appropriate for an all around light..

Hex files for D4V2 and D4SV2 (XP-L & XP-G2/219C) are included along with the sources.

80T's Custom Anduril 2 Mod (based on Rev. 583)

- 5 Lvl. Moon (memory)

- Max brightness is - Max_Nx7135 (smooth ramp)

- 1H (from Off) - Moon (one of the 5 discrete lvls. as it has memory) -> Keep Holding until blip > Beacon </> S.O.S. / (from On) - Ramp Up - Release and hold again to change direction / (from lock) - Temp Moon (mem)

- 1C (from Off) - On (memory - smooth/default ramp) / (from On) - Off/Back (from Turbo) - If Turbo was from the Off state, 1C will still return to Off

- 2C (from On/Off) - Max Lvl. (only from normal smooth ramp mode) / (from Beacon/S.O.S./Batt Chk/Temp Chk/Candle/Lightning Storm/Bike) - advance/cycle to the next mode

- 2H (from Off) - Momentary Ceil. / (from On) - Ramp Down..

- 3C (from On) - toggles between Discrete/Smooth ramping styles, only now discrete is 5 lvl. Moon and smooth is the actual standard illumination mode / (from Off) - Batt Chk. </> Temp Chk.

- 3H (from Off) - Fun blinky modes - Candle > Bike > Lightning Storm > repeat / (From On) - Momentary Turbo

- 4C (from On/Off) - Lock / (from Lock) - Unlock to Off

- 4H (from Lock) - Moon (mem)

- 5C (from Lock) - Unlock to On (mem)

- 5H (from On) - Configure Sunset mode

- 7C/7H (From Off/Lock) - Config AUX LED's - Style and Lvl.

- 10H (from Lock) - Config Auto-Lock

That's pretty much most of what I've changed/rearranged.. Also small little setting changes like not having the LED's turning On at all until the clicks sequence is done (2C, 3C etc.. ) Beacon Lvl. at Max Lvl. and very short pulse (10ms) like most Nicore lights, no manual memory, no advanced/simple UI (I'd say this is a decent mix of both.. ), the AUX LED's are Off by default (but set to Voltage display - Where the colors are Green > Yellow > Red) and whatever else skips my mind right now..

Oh yeah and.. there MIGHT be any number of leftover unsquashed bugs present.. (that I have not yet encountered that is anyways.. )

I would love to have this kind of light with a proper efficient Buck driver.. :(

Cheers!

EDIT: Well, it was bound for me to find some bugs.. (sometimes while changing ramp styles and tried to ramp immediately, the ramp direction would not be properly reset.. ) and to squash them ofc.. New version uploaded

Also reverted 2H back to ramp down as it seemed to have more utility than Temporary Ceil..

1 Thank