New Convoy C8 – Clearly better

I programmed Biscotti on a 13A in a ThorFire BD04 (from special deal on Amazon), and it's working great now. The driver board needed some tweaks though - cap was under spec at about 1.1 uF - swapped to a 10 uF, voltage divider resistors were in backwards (R1<->R2), and the 13A wasn't re-programmable so had to reflow a replacement in. Plus stacked on 4 more 7135's to bring the count up to 8 with 3.0A capability. But like I said, no problem with Biscotti firmware itself, but of course I used the proper fuse settings (low: 0x75, hi: 0xFF). TK, I believe, suspected they used the wrong fuse values - the fuse values set the MCU clock rate.

Nice! Great info Tom. Thank you! I’ve been waiting for Simon to test/confirm that Biscotti will work in the BD lineup. From what I hear the Thorfire BD04 is nearly identical to the Convoy BD04…for now anyway. The BD04 is one of the models I’m focusing on next for a bit of an overhaul which would of course include Biscotti. Shh! :wink:

Are the fuse values you mentioned the same as what’s in Biscotti now, or did you change them in the source code before you flashed it?

No, the same. The 10 uF cap is a definite must. With the 1.1 uF they had in there, you had to be extremely quick to change modes. The cap is what keeps memory in tact, so we can tell a short power outage from a long one.

I'm really liking mode #10 with no mode memory, 4 modes. I tell you, the BD04 with that SS tail switch is bout perfect for no memory clickie switch firmware like Biscotti. I'm really liking it, but might prefer a different 12 mode sets to choose from, but that I can do myself .

I’m glad to hear all this. I’ve been wondering about the BD04 for over a year now. Seems like it would be a nice balance as the zoomie light market seems to go from cheap junk to expensive with little middle ground and I think that’s where the BD04 would fit in. I have one on the way to me but it will be just the standard firmware for now. :cry: I don’t have any of the equipment to flash firmware yet. Hopefully pretty soon I can resolve that. I just finally got a light meter today. One step closer…

When you go to pick up a USBASP, make sure to get the right one. I had some very frustrating issues with the first one I purchased. A bit of info on that here.

Where does the “Convoy” BD04 fit in?

There are essentially only a few manufacturers in China that make flashlights, they typically produce a design by the 10’s of thousands. Simon is a little guy, he has a few of his own design and others that are the shared design made en masse. The BD04 zoomie is one of those en masse lights.

Sometimes he can influence the manufacturer to do a nicer finish on a light for his brand, sometimes that doesn’t work out so well. Influence is a tricky thing in the Chinese business industry, you get on waiting lists and your turn comes around when it comes around, sometimes depending on whether or not a larger bidder cuts in front of you. Dog eat dog, for sure.

I don’t know specifics on Simon’s business but it normally works like described and I DO know Simon is just a small cog in the much greater wheel of what makes the world go round in China.

Ah, so your saying Simon didn’t really make the BD series that he sells unique to his company. Internally it’s got the same guts as the Thorfire, I assume.

I’m guessing he’s just trying to fill a void in his lineup, in this case, rechargable lights. Is that about right?

I think it’s an older offering, a product in his line-up that’s been there since he got started. Now he’s working on having custom productions of his own design made so that his brand stands out, he’s rising up above the average. Takes a TREMENDOUS effort, but he’s putting in the time.

Have you seen scenes in movies or the news that show the chaos in the wall street stock market? Bids are up in the air, it’s frantic, hectic, super high stress? I envision business in China much on that line, everyone jockying for their position and only a few able to get a leg up through perseverance.

I tried to buy one from Simon, but he never responded to my message asking for my BLF 15% discount after several days. I ended up canceling my order and ordered from Fasttech for less money. It shipped today. Maybe he was too busy to respond? Anyway, I bought my 2 L6’s, driver, Convoy s2+, and a few other items from him with no issues at all. Just curious as to why he didn’t respond.

BTW, I know I’m not getting the enhanced driver firmware. I have no problem with that.

Edit: I might be getting the new firmware. Fasttech has the modes listed as Ultra-low > Lo > Mid > Hi > Turbo > Strobe > Slow Flash > SOS. Maybe they don’t know it might have the new firmware?, or could it be a fake?

That’s another thing, apparently the authorities put a lot of controls on internet traffic, limiting sites visited and monitoring virtually everything. I get a lot of information that it’s very hard to come to our site from China, almost impossible to steadily monitor a thread as we typically do. One more challenge in getting a leg up, the ladder is old and rickety. :wink:

Hi guys, I am also about to buy one of this too. I m going for the 5000k colour temp one. Initially waiting for Manker U21 to reduce in price but seems like no word from them, so I m done waiting.

Before I place the order, do you guys mind telling me what I need to inform Simon?

1) New firmware with the correct moonlight mode (ultra-low…?)
2) Washers to be aluminium instead of home-made broken plastic…
3) ?

Is that it? Thanks & regs

Which emitting color should I buy? U3 7A, U6 3A and V2 1A?

Do you prefer cold white, neutral white or warm white ?

Oh, I see, I prefer neutral white. I saw a lot V2 1A pieces have been sold.

1A cool
3A neutral
7A warm

Have you dedomed one of the W2s yet?

Where to buy those W2 emitters?

Got mine today from Fasttech. I was worried that it wouldn’t come with the new firmware, but it did :slight_smile: I set it up with 5 modes, no flashing modes, no memory. Starts up on turbo. I like it, I like it a lot!

I have some C8s on the way. I just installed one of the new drivers from BG into an Ultrafire zoomie. V6 0D XPL. Driver works great. Used #2 with 5 modes. Very nice zoomed in. Definate improvement for the C8. Started with group 1 and the blinkies. Versatile 8X driver!