New Gen 2 SinkPADs with emitter on solder pad?

They can do whatever they want. As long as Noctigons are available I don't care what Sinkpad does. I'd rather have that pocket on the back rather than under the emitter. I'd rather have no pocket at all which is why I've not bought any Sinkpad.

Agreed. I have not paid too much attention to the emitter PCBs lately, but I was surprised when I saw the 'pocket'. Seems not too bad on the back, but to be on the front in version 2s case just looks like a flaw to me. I think they're just trying to make their existing manufacturing process fit to a need product really.

I was actually going to fill that pocket in the back with copper! :slight_smile: I was told I couldn’t, of course, and that made me want to that much more. I figured I could cut a “plug” and solder it in or re-flow it if need be, then sand it smooth. Would it make a measureable difference? I have no way to compute that or measure it.

Based on my testing, I would not get too concerned over the depression on the back of a SinkPAD.
It performed just as good or better than the competition.
Depression on the front? Not sure about that one yet…

I'm really lik'n the Noctigons now for the money. From Relic's test results to the gold plating to the fact it's back surface is pre-lapped with no depression, etc.

You have to remember that the 'depression' on the SP2 is only 0.07mm deep. That's thinner than a human hair by a long way. I think you'd finding filling it with a 'plug' and then sanding it near level would be an exercise in futility.

Hopefully they show some test results because at the moment this is all (admittedly fairly educated) guessing.

in the back side of the original version. I don’t like the space there for the heat sinking to have to part around. Might just get hacked at em and start cutting the center portion out entirely and making a pillar on my copper heat sink for the emitter to sit on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like their sinkpad sunk.

I knew that was what you referred to. And from my test results, it still performs as good or better than a DCB star with no punch mark. :beer:

anyone tested the 2 version of sinkpads?

Djozz tests
It appears the solder filled gap under the LED is not an issue.

i c , thanks.

! !
The cavity under the thermal path is the problem.

What I don’t understand is why they use such stupidly narrow traces to connect the wire and emitter pads. Only the 16mm designed by Pilotptk has decent trace widths.