New Guy - Older than Motorola 6800 - My first code

Hey, RickJensen,

Welcome to BLF!

Not sure how far you have got in your re-programming endeavors.

Most of us are using drivers with the Attiny13a chip; here is a guide to flashing it.

Also, Here's the firmware repository thread, with access to all of the coding that has been made available by various BLF members.

Have fun! :beer:

Hi,

Try messing with the minidrivr under Dr. Jones in the repository. It’s very simple, but you can add as many levels as you want (well, to a limit) by just modifying an array, then recompiling and burning the new hex into the NANJG.

Thx Matt,
I have been coding Arduino for a few weeks. I have a pretty good chuck of code to drive a 2 wheeled robot using stepper motors instead of regular motors. I can draw a spot on the floor around one of the wheels, kick off the code, watch it drive in and out of a couple of rooms and return with the wheel in the circle. I plan on using the flashlight drivers to power a laser that will eventually be connected up to the Arduino.

I am really glad to have found a board this good. I have had serious issues with others. It is great to already hear from someone and not get insulted in the process!

Looking forward to everything.
Take care….

FmC,
I appreciate the help. I’ll need it. I just discovered an hour ago that the drivers were micro-controlled. Prior to that I was trying to dis-assemble a board and reverse-eng. the lANS. The chip ID on my board was wiped by the manufacture and I just figured out it probably is a tiny13 from pictures.
So I went looking for a forum and this one was right at the top.
Thx, for the links. I have a ton of reading to do and (Yea!) I get to order more electronics!
Thx, again.

I should have mentioned the firmware drop and other link… but really wanted to welcome you. The insults here are fairly rare and if you find one, often it is deserved. They do not show up, just because you do not have $300 lights or you ask a basic question. I started at another site for acouple of years and really soured on it. I have learned and gained much more here as a member for a short time and a lurker for a longer time.

So, welcome aboard!

I ran across Dr. Jones and that is how I found the link here. I will certainly take your advice and start easy. My first line of code is usually hello world, but I have no stdio! I’m looking forward to learning a bunch from you-all. (From the south you know).

The chip clip and cable are going to cost way more than the $6 I spent on the light. I just wanted to tear it down for the driver and now I have a whole new hobby to waste my time with. My wife will love to hear that!

Welcome! Time isn’t the only thing you’ll spend around here……….$$$ :slight_smile:

The greatest value to growing old is that if your wallet and your values have kept up with your age you are good to go. I love my toys and I worked my A off to be able to afford them. (And I have permission from my wife!)
My first day and I’ve got to say I am very happy to be here. Now I have to cook for my family. So my apologies to anyone that I don’t get back to until tomorrow.

Best to you and all who share information and consideration.
Rick.

WELCOME ABOARD! ! Glad to have you with us! Maybe you’ll be Toykeeper’s apprentice :bigsmile:

Rick welcome to BLF and I too am most likely around your age. I’m sure you’ll enjoy being a member of this great community and like many buy more torches than you could ever expect to use.

Welcome to BLF Rick, as far as age is concerned here is a quote made in my birth year,

Cheers David

Thanks for joining the party, rickjensen!

I actually worked on a Raytheon Apollo 8 Bit system with core memory that probably came in under 1.5 tons. And now it fits on the tip of your pinky finger.
Thx, Rick

धन्यवाद। आशा है, आप कुशल हैं। (I hope that is right).

Is that HinDi?

Maybe it's Marathi.

Not many people know this but my location is in Marathi.

(Google Translate thinks it's in Hindi.)

Yes, It is indeed an attempt to respond in you native language. Hopefully I did not offend. And yes I used Google Trans because I also thought it was Hindi.

I could use some help on where to go. I have now received my ATmega/ATtiny 51 AVR ISP, a Signstek SOIC8 SOP8 and cables and adapter board.

I am working to wire it up, and am ready to try some driver coding. I have a XM-L T6 driver that I am going to attempt to mod from a wf-502b. The driver chip has been wiped so I’m not sure what driver it is.

I am currently reading in the Flashlight Modding and DIY Parts. Am I in the right section?

Thx.

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum. Post 1 in this thread has a real good picture to help guide you with wiring. Hope that helps.

Thank you 4Wheeler. I can use all the help I can get. I just hope I didn’t make the mistake that the Cree driver is programmable, otherwise I guess I’ll be getting some drivers!