New lights and technology for 2021

I just hoped, I wouldn’t have needed to state, that if some item is sold at a large unit number, it does not mean, that the given item is good - but now I need to point it out.

I don’t see, how I was wrong there. I said, worthy. I may add also: deserved.

I still want flashlights like this:

:beer:

Also, funny to mention, that on a few occasions, I mildly bashed a few Acebeam lights for their poor emitter choices, and to my joyful surprise, they started to offer better emitter choices for a few of their models.

They are still out of my budget, but the improvement is there.

Longer throw and more lm for 21700 flashlights.

I’m sorry, didn’t you say “when a flashlight brand decides to cooperate with and/or listen to enthusiasts, that can make many worthy best seller flashlights”? What do you think a “best seller” is? I think it’s a product that sells in large quantities, not the best in class product, correct me if I’m wrong? What is a “worthy best seller”? It’s a best seller that you or somebody else consider “worthy”? Olight wants to sell lights. Lots of lights. And they seem quite successful at what they do. Not appealing to the enthusiasts is hardly a big deal.

Again, no idea of “deserved best seller” is. A product either sells a lot or it doesn’t.

I’m sure they saw your posts and they were like “Hang on there, this user just gave us the idea to put better LEDs in our lights, did anybody else in our company ever thought of that? How did we miss it?”

Forgive me the sarcasm, I just find it rather pathetic to want a certain brand to vanish because they don’t produce the exact products that you want. Let us enjoy our Olights and you enjoy whatever you want to enjoy, I personally don’t want your preferred manufacturer to vanish from the market.

The exact products, huh? Funny one… - forgive me the sarcasm.

To be correct, you didn’t see me explicitly wanting it to vanish. But truth to be spoken, I would not regret it even for a single moment. This is because, they are not learning anything, just doing the 15+ year expired sheer output number based marketing with some shiny overpriced confetti.

You still can enjoy it of course. It is your budget, and your choice.

Technically, yes. But…

…this is why the sheer capitalistic approach sucks.

Edit: to not let you tell, that I didn’t specify worthy best seller lights, here you can get some clues:

(Maybe the most recent ones are missing, but still a great list)

UT90 Predator. Imalent. Sorry, it’s out of stock.

Cheers.

I hope that I am wrong, but I don’t anticipate any major leaps in flashlight technology for 2021.

I would like to see greater use of high efficiency constant current drivers.

Talking about Andúril, I am currently unaware about either Andúril is implemented for multiple independent group of emitters (like a headlamp with one throw and one flood group) or not, but I would happily see this in a future light.

Thanks for your sharing all other thoughts as well, Zappaman.

Id like to see an alternative operating system, maybe something with an encoder?

I am opinionated :smiley:

But back to lights and the future… I agree we need to move on with the UIs while realizing from TK that it’s a daunting task to match changing hardware to her’s (and other’s) great code we thankfully have today! That said, the hard part for manufacturers is the muggle factor and this is why TK is working to change Anduril to start in muggle mode, but be accessible by we users who want those features. BUT, I feel one of our great light makers out there might take the step to Anduril2 with better communication with TK. That will be THE light I want when it happens— maybe in 2021 :wink:

Some dude on another forum mentioned light emitting plasma flashlights but I’ve been unable to find any info online. He said they’re totally different than laser excited phosphor

That’s not even sarcasm. Read the definition.

You really think they are not learning anything? They are doing what can make them the most amount of money, buddy. They are not on the market to satisfy the specific demand of a small group of flashlight enthusiasts. Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

There are hundreds of flashlight brands on the market. All of them want to sell as much lights as possible. This is the capitalistic approach, the market, the demand/supply and no, in this case it doesn’t suck at all. You are fckng free to not buy the products that you dislike. Vote with your wallet, as we all are, and stop whining that some independent company is not producing what you want.

This is my last reply on the subject because the conversation got a bit ridiculous. Have a good one.

I thought this already.

You guess what?

This can be already a big insult on this forum. You are here on this forum for over 9 years, and still not learning anything from it. Then why don’t you go to CPF? It would be better suited for you and your mindset.

“Cheers” (And I am not buddy of any entitled jerks out there in the wilderness)

I would gladly answer but my quota for replying to individuals with reading comprehension issues who believe the Earth shall spin according to their personal agenda is, unfortunately, over.

That’s more of a fallacy there isn’t “hundreds of brands” on the market, there are technically MAYBE 20 companies whom have an RND and developing their own unique products to their “Brand” the endless sea of other “brands” are in essence using a dropshop system and rebranding a product so they TECHNICALLY are not a “Brand” they are just labeling a product with their name.

Well as a matter of fact I Don`t buy them, nor would I insult anyone by giving one as a “gift”, I wouldn`t own one of these things it it were Free!
If we ignore the aggressive marketing and the constant shill accounts that spam with pictures of empty boxes everywhere flashlights may be of interest. I`m of the philosophy that if you can`t repair it, you don`t own it, and these people deliberately make sure that you can`t, why?… because Greed!
Yes it appeals to the masses because most of them don`t know any better, they get locked in and the company thinks `Great, another sucker!`. there is absolutely NO good reason to use crappy emitters and not offer a choice, use batteries that you can Only buy from them, design them in such a way they cannot be repaired other than Greed! it`s that simple, and I refuse to support that or any Other company that tries to lock me in (I won`t even use a phone that has google on it), locking folks in seems to be a favorite trick of quite a few companies recently, and not just the big ones like Monsanto where you have to buy their seeds because nothing else will grow in the land you poisoned trying to kill your weeds the year before! etc…
Oh and the reason I mentioned my dislike for “built in” batteries is similar to my dislike for things that can`t be repaired, it`s Bad for the environement! plain and simple.
Capitalism`s fine as long as it doesn`t ruin the environment (and it doesn`t have to!).

Ehh, thats also somewhat of a misconception apple at least on the mobile side of the spectrum I give them props their system isn’t “crap” it in general will perform better longer than an android device of the same year and price point. If we are talking about just RAW performance iphones still perform better than 99% of all android products that boast higher specs…. I mean apples A13 processor out performs the latest and greatest androids running a snapdragon 865 plus and A13 is a year older than the new snapdragon and thrashes it in performance benchmarks, then factor in how efficient and optimized iOS vs Android. Apple sells a better performer for an equivalent cost apple is coming out a head that’s generally why people keep buying iphone’s they also get guaranteed software updates for 5+ years while a lot of android phones get phased out while people can continue to use iphones longer.

P.S Apple sold the most of their budget offerings not their high/highest end offerings which overshadowed them both combined. The apple budget offering thrashes every competitor in the price range.

I’d like to see lights that can be reconfigured by USB or bluetooth, having to click 50 odd times just to change a temperature limit seems rather, anachronistic.

As for what I expect, I doubt much revolutionary.

I would like to see a basic web UI be incorporated for easy programming. IMHO, this is the biggest problem with lights today, they all have a different interface. I have over 100 lights and the UI is somewhat different on all of them. Having to look at a manual to use your flashlight is unacceptable. I don’t see anduril as being an end state goal, its more of a stepping stone to where we need to be.