New mod zoomie to replace SK98

Since a lot of you seem what you’re talking about I decided to ask rather than getting more and more lost between all the choices.

Currently I own a cheap SK98 copy with a completely hollow pill,
in which I installed a “7070 xhp50/xhp70 replacement” and a 3V 6A driver (measured at 4.5A with 35E cells).
There are a few VTC6 cells on the way, hoping they will up that a bit.

I have always tried my best not to have it turned on 1.5A mode or above for more than a few seconds, since the LED gets hot FAST, so I have to get a new flashlight with better heatsinking.

I really like the UniqueFire 1504 for its seemingly ultra narrow beam when zoomed in, but there’s not enough range to zoom out from what I’ve seen on this forum (or was that the 1508?)

Anyway, I need a new 18650 zoomie,
Whole flashlight or host only, preferably with bigger lens than the SK98, as that should capture more light,
And either a shelf or a solid pill

Welcome to BLF!

I would suggest to check this thread: Zooming Model List (2018 Updated) Tell us about your newest zoomie!

In case you wanted a compact zoomable light, I would suggest the On The Road Z821 or the On The Road i5.

For bigger options, you also have some choices, Convoy Z1 is one of them, and many others.

Hope you find a light that suits you :+1:

I’m not a “zoomie guy”, but do have a few, from SK98 clones up to a Cometa and Artemis.

Most non-garbage zoomies are 26650-based, and most 18650-based zoomies are garbage. That should cover it…

You can take a ’98 and mod it. Get a better switch, pack the pill underneath (soldered-together stack of Cu pennies, etc.), etc., for better heat transfer, but they’re still gonna be sorely lacking. They just don’t have the thermal mass or construction to handle heat, period.

I could stick a 442 into a roat-rat but it ain’t gonna drive like a car that’s built from the ground-up for speed and handling.

I like the simple design of the Convoy Z1, seems easier to mod than the ones with integrated chargers.
Are there any similar options with an integrated shelf for even better thermal conductivity?
The head can be even bigger, the bigger the lens the better the throw and tighter beam, right?
It can be 26650 based, I could always use an adapter.

Oh, so then definitely give the Convoy a look. Ain’t got, but it’s a Convoy, so you can’t go wrong.

The JaxMan also-a-Z1 is very similar to the Cometa, but just poking around looks twice the price.

I picked up a UF-T20 18650 zoomie host from mountain electronics. It’s a super solid twistie zoomie, crazy easy to mod too. Takes standard C8 pills, C8 tailcaps, but it comes with a nice brass pill for 16mm mcpcb and 17mm driver. I modded it with an sst40 at 5A but switched to xhp50.2 3v and a fet driver. It was amazing! 2200+lm. Great heat management with all the mass. Heavy duty. 50mm glass aspheric lens. I switched it back to the sst40 and Convoy driver for my wife to use, but it could easily be modded to xhp70.2 with a boost driver. For like $20 shipped not bad deal.

That’s great, is the UF-T20 useful at short range? - How wide is the beam at max flood?
Could you also estimate the size of the hotspot at a known distance?

Here’s the mod I did with the xhp50.2. Zoomie mod I can’t find the sst40 pictures though. The hotspot will be slightly smaller and more intense (and square) with the sst40, the xhp50.2 is more floody. The zoomed in flood is pretty big. It is a 50mm aspheric lens after all.