【New Product】XTAR 1.5V AA 4150mWh Battery

Must be really well-built. Amazing not only that it still works, but also that it works well (component drift would have at least skewed measurements in not-so-well-built stuff).

Yeah… I am sure it is not as accurate as it once was. But the readings match pretty well with other sensors that I have (and pressure with a NWS station within a mile or so of the house). So it is close enough for my requirements.

1 Thank

It is not Amazon EU Spain.

Will the charge included in a Nuki electronic lock charge correctly?

It uses internal charger AA NH 1.2v I don’t know the charging curve of your batteries I would like to test the duration AA NH pack from Nuki and modify it with these lithium ones and see the duration.

I get about 8 months with NH.

Good product!

I just need to know the purchase and shipping to Spain.

I did not want to sign up for the GW because I was not convinced by these batteries but if they keep the voltage until the end is something very good and quite rare.

PD: I’m still in bad health but soon I will tell you my experience in the field with all my flashlights only 2 times a year and the anduril 2 was almost a failure and I will tell you why.

1 Thank

I want to test it on the Nuki 3.0 Pro lock and the Keypad2 fingerprint keyboard would be a good place to test its performance.

But I would like to not have to take them out to charge as it includes charger for 1.2 NH rechargeable batteries.

I don’t know if it would support the NH charging curve, hopefully.

And I don’t mind buying the charger but it would no longer be convenient as the NH ones last me about 8months if it exceeds this by much I don’t mind taking the batteries out to use their charger.

Let us know and if I get the pack in Spain I will try it myself!

1 Thank

One way to easily determine if these XTAR batteries will work better than NiMH on any device, is to check the voltage of your NiMH batteries when the device tells you they’re low. If they’re at or near 0.9V (the recommended cut-out voltage for NiMHs), it means the device probably won’t benefit from the higher XTAR voltage.

PS: @litris, glad to hear back from you, hope your health improves and looking forward to your reports on Anduril 2.0!

I had not thought about it, I will try it.

Since you say it has the option of using non-rechargeable lithium batteries and the duration is not greater I think even less.

I will check it out!

Thank you!

About anduril 2 I have a text prepared with the vacation experience.

I distributed the lanterns among elders, nephews and sons.

1 Thank

I fully charged the cells on the included charger. I then measured my set of these new Xtar cells on my Mc3000. I set it for 0.3 amps discharge. and went as high as I could on the cutoff… which is 1.1 V. I figured they would have an internal cutoff higher than that. I am not sure that they do. They all measured 1.1 volts when the charger terminated the discharge. The cells all measured between 1.49 and 1.51 V when I put them into the charger. They measured the same when I checked them at about 1500mAh. SO apparently the voltage regulation is pretty good. Unfortunately the capacities were not what I was hoping for. It was not close to what is claimed. In fact it matched up very closely to what I get on Eneloop cells set to terminate at 0.9 V.

I think the numbers for the first cell could be a product of the charger. I will run this again and mark the cells first. I also will set the termination to 1 volt to see if it makes a difference. Maybe even try 0.9 volts. And pray that the BMS will not allow over discharge.
In any case, I have used the same charger to measure well over 100 Eneloop cells. Typically I get between 1900 and 2000 mAh . SO these do not impress on capacity. I will also have to try a real world test in my remote sensors. It could be that they are quitting due to low voltage with the NiMh cells rather than capacity. Which might make The Xtar cells a better option. But certainly a pricy one. I will post if the results change significantly with cycles or changing the termination voltage.

3 Thanks

Thanks for the greatly detailed report.

Agree with you, ~1900mAh is quite underwhelming. Perhaps they would benefit from some kind of “break-in”, ie, would get better after a few charge-discharge cycles?

Also, have you tried charging them at 4.4V (the MC3000’s maximum IIRC)? Would be interested in hearing the results.

I can give it a try (messing with the settings to see if I can force it) … but I don’t think it will work. I put them in with a LIION program in place… it threw a voltage error.

1 Thank

For better performance, we suggest you use the compatible xtar 1.5V Li-ion battery chargers. To measure the capacity of rechargeable 1.5V AA/AAA Li-ion batteries, it could adopt the constant current discharge test with using a capacity grading cabinet. Or alternatively, using a constant current discharge with a load machine, followed by integrating the time to obtain the capacity. And our engineer tested the discharge capacity of xtar 1.5V AA 4150mWh (2500mAh) battery. There is the chart for reference:

1 Thank

Integrated tiny dc-dc converter and coil at high output losing efficiency so you get less runtime.

You get more runtime because this battery is for devices that don’t work with voltage below 1.3 V.

I explained what i see in the chart.

The MC3000 will not charge these cells. As mentioned, if set for LIION cells (required for setting the charge voltage above 4 Volts) it immediately throws an error because they have too low a voltage.

I tried again at 0.25 A discharge and 1.0 V termination. Last time I checked three slots showed no battery. The last one was at 1.09 volts and 2340 mAh.
I am running again at.25 A and termination at 1.06 V . Apparently, and as I would expect, the BMS shuts off the cells at some point. Which must be a bit above 1 volt. This next run will be the 4th full cycle on the cells.
Not quite sure why I saw only around 1900 mAh with a 0.3 A discharge and 1.1 V cutoffs compared to their chart. But I am comparing to other cells charged and discharged on this Mc3000. So I should be able to get a good idea how the cells perform versus Eneloops regardless of raw numbers. BTW, I have been using the Xtar charger included with the package that I bought for charging the cells. Fully charge then within a minute or so load them into the MC3000 and start the test.

1 Thank

Regardless of the dc-dc converter, all LIION cells that I have tested lose capacity at higher discharge currents. So perhaps it is a combination of factors.

1 Thank

1800-1900mah sounds about right, alkaline are in 2500mah range, so these a bit smaller, but they can be recharged instead of being thrown away.
I bought 6 D cells li ion 1,5v put them into a fan that usually lasts non stop 3 days on set of alkaline, with li ions, it stopped after about a day and a half. it was spinning full speed than just stopped, when powered by alkaline it would gradually slow down, so i knew batteries are going out, with li ions you never know if they are fully charged or only left a minute to run.

Also, I recommend not using these cells in an incandescent flashlight, at least not in a Maglite with Maglite bulbs, i tried them in a 6D mag, I burned 2 bulbs, not instantly but 1 lasted about an hour, another around 2. my guess those bulbs are designed with alkaline sag in mind, li ions do not sag as much,

1 Thank

I can tell from experience the same happens with LiFePO4 too (is there any chemistry that doesn’t suffer from this?)

Thanks for the great report, @Mandrake50! Looks like the MC3000 is not as flexible as we’d like – makes me wish even harder that SkyRC open sourced its firmware so we could adapt it for these kinds of uses. Or that someone reverse-engineered it to the same effect…

I ran them again yesterday. They do seem to have evened out. All showed 1.51 V when first put into the charger. I set discharge termination for 1.08 volts. When I checked later, one showed no battery. The other three were between 1.09 and 1.10 volts. I got my phone, and just as I was going to take a pic, a second cell went to no batter(indicated by the MC3000. Just before it quit the cell showed 2278 mAh. AS did the other two that were still charging. This was using a 0.25 A discharge rate. I may have gotten a few more mAh out of the last two, but they were real close to cutoff, so I just pulled all of the cells at that point.

This is obviously better that my first run, but at 0.25A instead of 0.3A. Of course it was also the fifth charge discharge cycle.
It is real nice to see how consistent they are.

Just out of curiosity, I think I will run them at one amp to see what I get. Just in the name of science… :japanese_ogre:

Edit: to remove brain fart…
I
But at the 1.10 V level, they wouldn’t be doing any better than the Eneloops as far as voltage. Even if they still have a little power in them.

I guess the next thing is to try them in my sensor and see how long they last.

3 Thanks

Thanks for the detailed follow up! Yep, seems like these cells can benefit from a little cycling, your experience shows they are evening out after a few.

And I agree, using them in your sensors and comparing total runtime with eneloops would be the ultimate test.

Please do post if/when you get more data on this!