new stainless steel beauty at manafont R5 and single 18650 config - turned out aluminium, SS looks only

that's kind of light but im' not sure you can trust specifications..this one weighs a whopping 145 grams and it's a AA http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1041

the n light stainless steel is 155 grams for the 18650

andthey say 130 grams for the regular AA stainless steel .. but it actually weighs 100 grams

best just to buy it and weigh it yourself

The weigh at the top is shipping weigh, check the bottom for the actual weigh of the light (and other specs): "Netweight: 100g"

Of course you cannot trust specifications as a general rule, but I've found the specs at CNQG to be fairly accurate, at least for their N-lights.

On my scale it's 145 with a nickel metal hydride battery in it .. you're right the battery is heavier than I was giving it credit for ..but guess what 145 grams is like carrying a truck ..it's heavy ..that being said let me make one huge statement ...after finally getting around to putting a 14500 in it ...it screams ..not mildly ,,wildly .i was saying to myself .hmm these n lights from cn.q. goods are bright ..and i was talking on a AA.. I have the b2s http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1035 and the b9 http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1040..whatever else can be said about these lights ..anyone who says that they aren't screamers with no strobe/sos is a liar ..oh yeah and the b9 is heavy as hell..

sorry for thread craping , but seeing the 2 AA lights outperform or equally perform with the Z1 yezl xpg /18650 impressed me

that's my favorite thing about this forum ..no one freaks out about people going off topic .

That being said i'm curious about this light as well and would like to know how it performs .. looking forward to a review

Don's got a thread on it here - http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/1313 :)

Smile [quote=Pook]

Don's got a thread on it here - http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/1313 :)

[/quote]

thanks

Battery tube weigh = 22.4g

Battery tube volume = 8.2 cu. cm

Density = 2.73g / cu. cm

Pretty consistent with aluminium, this is not a stainless steel torch.

Mine is 22.2g - that's probably experimental error.

I couldn't get a meaningful volume measurement of the tube with the equipment at hand, all I could say was that the density was between 2 and 10g/cm3. I'm slightly surprised that the volume of the battery tube is that large, by eyeball i thought 3-5cm3 which just goes to show eyeballs are not reliable measuring devices.

But it is a pity it was sold as SS - actually I like the very grippy finish but wouldn't have paid $20 for it had I known it was aluminium.

Thermals shouldn't be an issue then - heat dissipation ought to be very good with that finish, the surface area is hugely larger than a plain finish would be.

I redid the weigh measurement with two better and more exact scales. They consistently arrived at 22.295g, the previous measuremnet was done with a simple letter scale. There is also a chance the there is a bit of difference between two tubes, ultrafire is not exactly known for their consistency and small tolerances : )

I got 8cm^3 on that 250ml graduated cylinder and 8.2 on another smaller 100ml one.

Same here, would not have bought it if I had known that it was indeed aluminum, there are nicer lights for around the same amount of $$ out there... This one gets to be a host for an XM-L though, it has such a nice reflector for that.

It is now an OK light, produces a pretty clean beam with a surprising amount of throw even after the XM-L and driver mod.

Did you open out the reflector base for the XM-L?

And I assume you swapped in a 2.8A driver.

What's the heat like?

I used a small carbide rotary file to widen the base and then I washed out the reflector with water to remove the aluminum filings. I put in one of those 2.8A KD "105" AMC boards with two chips removed for a steady 2.1A.

Heat development on "high" is not an issue in the climate I will be using it in. It spreads the heat pretty well, maybe this is because the pill is in direct contact with both the head and the battery tube.

The reason for me choosing a lower current is the tail switch, it is one of those white small ones : ( There is room for a better switch though, maybe a possibly future upgrade, if the current switch fails.

I've also found that head lock out is possible due to the anodized threads at the front end of the battery tube.

So not stainless steel? Duh!

No, not stainless steel and it is no longer to be found at manafont!?

They should sell it but with the right description and for a price of $15.

I would prefer SS but aluminum isn't bad either if it is HAIII. I just hope mine isn't lost (I forgot to add registered mail option) and have a first-hand opinion soon.

Shenzen has it for $15.45 but shipping has to be added.

Manafont has acknowledged the fault and issued Manapoints worth $1.5 to the buyer for each C303 bought.

Bravo Manafont.

Yes, their customer service is a step above the rest Smile

I think if dealers don't own up to bad marketing or what we used to call lies on the old days .. WE collectively make them pay for being scum.. way to acknowledge and admit there was a problem Manafont .. you get 2 boaz points for doing so .. it's worth about 4 cents ..

boaz points ..I'm getting a bright idea ...Tongue out