New to all this but need a torch

Hi,

I’m new here so I’ll introduce myself. I’m Max and I’m in the market for a torch. I have recently discovered BLF and am bewildered by the amount of information here! So I’m seeking some help in deciphering it and making the right decision. I can tell there are some people who use this forum with a wealth of knowledge and I hope to tap into it for a little advice—I hope that’s not presumptuous of me, I’ll happily give back what I can, review my purchase etc.

Here are my criteria:
No more than six inches in length and no big head (I want it to fit in my jeans pocket when camping)
Solid construction, preferably metal (I want to be able to sit on it without worrying)
Easy-to-find rechargeable batteries preferable (so I can stick it in my bag for cycling holidays and not worry about whether I can replace them in a bind in a foreign country, etc.)
As bright as possible with reasonable usage time
Available in the UK

Can anyone help point me in the right direction, or help me to refine my search criteria? Many thanks in advance.

Max

Welcome Max!!

Nitecore EA4
https://illuminationsupply.com/nitecore-ea4-p-271.html?zenid=f4e31c7d2807e364151170b467f92e29

We probably need a budget to work with. Budget without batteries and charger or with? A preferred cell? AA? AAA? Cr123's ok? You'll have a tough time running a high-powered light on alkalines (except perhaps on lower modes).

-Garry

As bright as possible, the skys the limit then, literally.
A tough easy to get torch that runs forever on NIMH rechargies or disposable batteries that every shops sells is the TESCO 2 AA one, around £12, longer run time needed they do a 2 D version.
My 2 AA has been trodden on sat on dropped onto concrete from 4 foot and still going strong, just a basic on off as well.
I did have to run a blacksmiths drill bit in the barrel of the light though as it is very tight on the slightly fatter rechargies otherwise, worth a look.

I was looking for this earlier and just now found it. I really like the looks of this light, and it seems like it may satisfy your requirements:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000630/1057500-fandyfire-rook-cree-xm-l-t6-635lm-3-mode-white-lig

Fastech also offers the Trustfire Protected 14500 cells for $5.34/pair here:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000523/1084200-trustfire-14500-37v-900mah-protected-rechargeable-

The FandyFire Rook from Fasttech for $28.90. Fasttech is a newer dealer here, but several BLFers have reported receiving great service from them. The Rook is a mimic of the SkyRay King design, but is specified to run from 3x rechargeable 14500 Li-ion cells, as well as AA cells, so you should be able to use this with off-the-shelf primary AA Alkaline cells and NiMH rechargeable AA cells as well. The light has a single XM-L T6 emitter and a mid-sized 38mm (1.5" diameter) head so it should be somewhat throwy, but not overly so. The light is just over 4.5" long, so well under your needed 6".

This light is on my "to-buy" list, but I do not own it at this time; my 'recommendation' is simply based on what looks like a nice flashlight to me, that may possible satisfy your requirements. I have also never dealt with Fasttech, so I can't recommend them from personal experience. Based on what other BLFers have said here, I would be willing to order from them...

If you buy this light, please post a review here for me!

<edited to add...>

Here's a review of this light: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/12703

Is there not battery drain issues with the rook? You can’t lock it out I don’t think.

Another option may be this

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/cyclone-c88-xml-u2-910lm-flashlight-p-349.html

However, there are again issues, won’t get full output from AA cells, even eneloops, for that you need a lithium 26650 cell and charger, which means you need to research lithium cells.

And, I seem to think some people had some issues, hopefully someone can chime in on this.

Plus, if your getting into lithium, there are other options which may be better suited size wise.

Another light often mentioned for AA use is the jetbeam pa40.

Not sure on UK dealers, but in my experience, cost wise, just look at the dollar sign, then change if for a pound sign, UK dealers tend not to be cheap.

For a throw in the bag light Asda does a pretty good 3aaa light for £8, I got one for my step son, its not bad at all, impressed his scout leaders, I do plan to mod it tbh, but that’s just me.

The Fandyfire Rook won’t fit in a jeans pocket, and would probably hurt to sit on :wink:

Sunwayman V10a, QuarkAA, Thrunite T10, SbFlashlights L3 L10 are all good single AA lights.
What’s your budget?

What could be more perfect for a small pocket camping light than the Romisen RC-G2??? Shiningbeam has a new one here that I own and really like.

Simplicity - uses a single AA light so you can replace it no matter where you go. Single click on/off.

Jetbeam PA40

4x AA (alkaline, NiMH or Lithium)
Carbon Fibre body (great for winter use)

But it’s bigger than your requirements, maybe you are willing to compromise a bit?

Here is a link for more info LINK

But be sure to shop around for best price.