New to BLF... Where to start?

Im not too sure this will help at all my Nitecore 2300 mAH batteries will fit in my Zebralight sc600 MkII but my Nitecore 3400mAH batteries are too snug. Sorry.

Thanks i will do some research on those.

Now I just saw the BLF A6 comes in silver too…

Welcome to the slippery slope!

pcfranchina wrote:

. . . Can you use non protected cells in that BLF light? . . .

The BLF-A6 is really meant for healthy high-drain cells. I imagine laptop pulls will work fine if healthy, but output will be limited by the cell's output limit and voltage sag.

If you have a bunch of cells, you may want to get a multi-cell flooder like a SRK. With laptop pulls, you should stick to only parallel cell arrangements.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes! How are the convoy lights? I didn’t place my order yet as I am still deciding over the gray or red Convoy The red has a metal switch that looks cool. Typically I don’t care for metal switches but that looks nice.

I have new Samsung 30Q's for mine for when I go out but use a Sony 200mAH laptop pull around the house. (Remember that big thread from a couple of years ago?) I can hardly detect a difference visually, turbo is ~40% brighter according to a light meter with the 30Q's.

+10000000000 on that….It starts with one more light….and then your wallet is magically empty!

HAHAH I already have a lot of lights I was just hoping to find some cheaper lights and still have some quality.

I suggest you try a ‘must have’ light search. :beer:

Thanks for all the input.

I ended up with a BLF A6, a Convoy S2+(red), a Convoy C8, 2 Convoy clips and a long Nitecore clip for a Thrunite T10s.

See ;) The budget world is very friendly with your budget. So much so that eventually you will find they are leaving you out of the conversation. LOL

May I suggest looking at mtnelectronics.com (RMM here) if you want to start dabbling in the modding.

BTW......Welcome!

It's smaller, so it will fit. Assuming the maximum diameter actually is 18.3 mm and the actual battery diameter is 18.24 mm.

18650 batteries typically fit diameter-wise, and their length or plus pole arrangement is more often the problem. Even the negative contact shape is sometimes unsuitable for a given application. Battery thickness issues are rare, but sometimes present.

First, Thanks again for the warm welcomes and recommendations.
Secondly I just got my delivery from Banggood…… Who-Hoooo!

First opinions…
BLF A6 - Felt a little cheap at first, didn’t like the clip but LOVE the lumen levels. The low is awesome and its levels are spaced out nicely!

Convoy S2+ Red (XML2 T5-5B) - Fit and finish are awesome. Love the metal clicky switch! (better then sunawayman) The glow ring in the bezel is a nice touch!

Convoy C8 in Gray (XML2 T5-5B) - Love the fit and finish. The largest light I own except for the D-Cell Maglight mounted in the truck.
Between the size and the warmish tint, it feels a little retro.

I am hooked on Convoy lights! The only other light I have on order is a an Stainless Ultrafire C3.

Thanks again!

I am also a fan of the grey C8s.
Unfortunately Banggood insists on sending me OP reflector models, even though they are listed as having smooth reflectors.
Convoy only recently re-listed them in their Aliex store, but these are the ‘improved’ models with integrated LED shelves, not removable pills.

Does yours have an OP or SMO reflector?
Is it the new or old model? (Banggood also recently listed the new model).

This is another great value for money flashlight, out of the box they are a level or two up from the Convoys:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/X6-u2-portable-flashlight-iii-18650-hornier-flashlight/1735126_32211884353.html
(Link is to the manufacturer’s Aliex store.)

Welcome Pcfranchina!

I like to keep track of what’s the latest buzz on the website. I do that by culling the Recent Posts for topics that pique my interest. FYI, I’ve also included links to the website Rules and Deals.

Recent Posts
Click on “Recent Posts” in the upper right hand corner of this screen or on the Main Menu on the left side of the screen or click this link:
http://budgetlightforum.com/recent-posts

Rules:
http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/misc/siterules
[23-SEP-2015] Avoiding group buy "price wars" (don’t worry about this one unless you’re being paid by someone for your links)

Deals:
[NO COMMENTS OR DISCUSSIONS HERE!] The BLF Deal Alert Thread (go to the LAST POST for the most current offers)
http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/marketplace/deals

Thanks a lot for the welcome and the advice!

and DEL, my convoy C8 doesn’t have an OP reflector, it’s smooth.

Do you know if it is the ‘new integrated head’ model or one of the older models Banggood carries/used to carry?

New:

Old:

Just checked my confirmation email and I paid 19.35 so I assume its the new one.

My early lights are Fenix, Zebralight and Armytek. Then Solarforce and now mostly Convoys — none of which are pre built. I wanted more control over tint and beam profile. In a former life I was an electronics tech, so I ordered a few hosts and a bunch of emitters and drivers and couldn’t be happier (OK I’m a little jealous of the machinists on this forum — but getting my hands on a lathe and milling machine will have to wait a while).

With two solder joints and a dab of thermal paste you can put together some terrific flashlights.

Almost everything I work with has come from Richard (RMM on BLF) at Mountain Electronics. I’ve only needed to go elsewhere for a few useful things, including some optics and some adaptor rings to fit some drivers to some older Armytek Partners. Run, don’t walk, to Mountain Electronics.

One thing I’ve learned. There is a world of fantastic “stuff” out there in places other than Mountain Electronics. Some of it is high quality — and some of it is junk — and some of the junk is still pretty fantastic in their own ways… Finding the gems can be fun. But right now I just want to experiment with emitters and drivers and optics — and I just want to know I’m working with quality parts that will work as advertised. I’ve quickly learned to trust that I’ll get that from Richard — so I go there first.