New to BLF... Where to start?

Hello All! I am really not new to flashlights, just net to BLF. I have lights from Fenix, Surefire, Nightcore, Sunwayman, Zebralight and a few others… Actually my most recent purchase was a Jetbeam TCR20. I recently harvested a bunch of unprotected 18650s from some old packs and figured I would start messing around in the Budget World (doesn’t seem too budget friendly in the end). I have a couple of Ultrafire lights (501b and 502b) from when I first got into this. As I bounce around on DX I don’t know where to start…. WOW. Any recommendations for single 18650 lights that can be played with, modded or just great lights for noobs?

I was thinking something like this…
http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-270-t60-xml-t6-5-mode-6700k-460-lumen-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-18650-93158#.Vf1Sof-FNMt

Thanks in advance!

This Light

Use THIS CODE

Let us know how this works out for you, and welcome to BLF!

+1

Welcome pcfranchina! There are some group buys going on with 20-something dollar lights that may be nice to compare to your premium ones. The one that is available right now is the BLF-A6, just use the coupon code in the first post to get the discount at Banggood.

We all agree :bigsmile:

(get a high-drain battery for that one)

Haha I wouldn’t quite say I have any premium lights. No mcgizmos or anything. :slight_smile:

Can you use non protected cells in that BLF light?

I was just on Banggood and added the BLF light and a Convoy S2+ in gray to the cart.

Hi i need some help’just got my first 18650 light a Zebralight sc62w.I guess i should have paid more attention in school about the metric system,that was a long time ago.It says i can use a 18.3mm diameter battery,will a 18.24mm fit?And if any body has any thoughts on MXJO imr 2500 mah high drain 18650 would be appreciated. Thank you.

Im not too sure this will help at all my Nitecore 2300 mAH batteries will fit in my Zebralight sc600 MkII but my Nitecore 3400mAH batteries are too snug. Sorry.

Thanks i will do some research on those.

Now I just saw the BLF A6 comes in silver too…

Welcome to the slippery slope!

pcfranchina wrote:

. . . Can you use non protected cells in that BLF light? . . .

The BLF-A6 is really meant for healthy high-drain cells. I imagine laptop pulls will work fine if healthy, but output will be limited by the cell's output limit and voltage sag.

If you have a bunch of cells, you may want to get a multi-cell flooder like a SRK. With laptop pulls, you should stick to only parallel cell arrangements.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes! How are the convoy lights? I didn’t place my order yet as I am still deciding over the gray or red Convoy The red has a metal switch that looks cool. Typically I don’t care for metal switches but that looks nice.

I have new Samsung 30Q's for mine for when I go out but use a Sony 200mAH laptop pull around the house. (Remember that big thread from a couple of years ago?) I can hardly detect a difference visually, turbo is ~40% brighter according to a light meter with the 30Q's.

+10000000000 on that….It starts with one more light….and then your wallet is magically empty!

HAHAH I already have a lot of lights I was just hoping to find some cheaper lights and still have some quality.

I suggest you try a ‘must have’ light search. :beer:

Thanks for all the input.

I ended up with a BLF A6, a Convoy S2+(red), a Convoy C8, 2 Convoy clips and a long Nitecore clip for a Thrunite T10s.

See ;) The budget world is very friendly with your budget. So much so that eventually you will find they are leaving you out of the conversation. LOL

May I suggest looking at mtnelectronics.com (RMM here) if you want to start dabbling in the modding.

BTW......Welcome!

It's smaller, so it will fit. Assuming the maximum diameter actually is 18.3 mm and the actual battery diameter is 18.24 mm.

18650 batteries typically fit diameter-wise, and their length or plus pole arrangement is more often the problem. Even the negative contact shape is sometimes unsuitable for a given application. Battery thickness issues are rare, but sometimes present.