New Trustfire 7 x T6!

I'm questioning the safety of a design like this for the "casual" user (assuming it does attempt to come close to that 8500 lumen mark). Thats a LOT of power through 3x cells in series, can protected cells pass this kind of current without tripping? Unprotected IMRs seem like a requirement... and that unfolds another layer of operator caution and deeper understanding of the dangers involved.

you won't catch me sticking anything but IMRs, or the latest derivatives, in anything that takes 3S!

and 8500 is a joke....

nearly on par w/ single emitters being advertised as 1600, which is common...

I've been in the market for a 26650 light for a while now, but haven't been able to decide what to get until this Trustfire came on the market. I like the idea of the +B spring, for easier battery contact, which is better than the TR-J12. I contacted Ric to see what he things of this new design, which he just got in stock today.
His comments thus far are that it uses 7x Cree T6 1C bin and the beam is a bit green. He also states it's very bright, but not as bright as a DRY on TURBO. He'll have further information tomorrow, and hopefully tail-cap readings too.

It's nice that he won't BS you to make a quick sale.

Thanks for the info.

that's definitely a consideration w/ a 7 xml light - I don't think much of swapping the emitter in all these single emitter lights, but w/ 7.......

I really wish the flashlight manufacturers would be more like the automotive industry when it comes to the horse-power wars. At least the auto manufacturers keep forging ahead trying to beat one another. However, in the flashlight industry, each is trying to add more and more XM-L's to the head of a flashlight, but not following through to correctly power them.

I suppose it's one thing to add more LED's, but it's another thing altogether to properly heat-sink the head to dissipate the high temperatures. These lights are slowly becoming not so budget lights at these prices, so what's the point in them doing it if they won't produce it correctly?

When all is said and done, the DRY is still king.

pretty much

but make the golden 'king' in black and w/ a good medium mode and i might argue w/ that

Well the diff between the DRY and this one is that the DRY can do 2 mins max output and for this one probably 20 mins max. For flashaholics there probably is not much diff but if you are going to be REALLY using it a lot of the time (eg blackouts) then there is a different.

So I guess this one might be at best the same output level as the J12, possibly a bit less coz the J12 does not look visibly lower in output than the DRY (detectable only on the meter). Same stuff as the Keygos 7x, possibly.

the problem, for me, is the form factor. it won't fit in a jacket pocket and it would hit my seat if it was in a hip holster.

Good points you've brought up. I'll wait and see what Ric says and decide if the new light is worth it or just go for the J12. For better battery contact, I can just solder a spring on the +B contact and the J12 will be perfect.

Richie, the J12 is not that cheap at 75 bucks shipped. If you don't have any of these flashlights, then i'd go for the 7 LEDs options. The Sky Ray 7 x T6 is the cheapest @ 79 bucks, but i am not sure what kind of driver they put in.... the drop-ins look very similar though.

That said, my J12 has been dead reliable even with 2 x 18650 coz the voltage sag is much more than 2x 26650, 3 x 26650 or 3 x 18650s (ie the driver is operating at higher current levels than 3 cells). I have done that with > 20 min runs, and the light gets really hot here in the tropics, believe it's over 50 deg C at the bezel. The 7 or even future 9 x T6 would be much better for long > 2000 lumen runs.

Looks exactly the same as my Keygos 7 x XM-L.

The drop-in & driver match exactly, same as the head & body design. I would bet that it's similarly underdriven as well.

I was looking at the Ultrafire version on Lightmalls.com, but decided to see what Ulrafire itself sells it for. Then I found their warning about all the websites that sell fake Ultrafires and found the following websites on their list.

I'd say _THE_ is correct that they all look the same as the Keygos 7 x XM-L. Obviously companys are just slapping their name on it.

www.dealextreme.com

www.lightmalls.com

www.alldaymall.com

www.dinodirect.com

www.ultrafire.com.cn

www.trademe.co.nz

www.aliexpress.com

www.gadgettown.com

www.chinabuye.com

double post

Here's a pic of my Keygos:

Note the dual spring error, making it impossible to fit the cells without removing other of them.

The output is not as bad as the current draw would tell. About on par with DRY Turbo NW / Skyray King NW. And less current means less heat => maybe this isn't that bad after all. (Although I love the shorter design of the before mentioned lights!)

Seems only the Skyray and Keygos are using the double spring on their versions. The Trustfire and fake Ultrafire version have the single spring. When Ric gets back to me about his price, I may end up purchasing it. I did ask him to find out about his supplier using NW LEDs and a 3-mode.

Got my eyes on this one... I don't think its possible to drive 7-XML to near their capacity in a host this size. Under-driving to some degree I think is a necessity to avoid cooking the emitters./

Regarding the dual spring, is it possible its that way to optimize for shorter unprotected cell length?

Yes, quite possible. But it would be nice that the cells that are included in the package would fit fine without modifications..

you sure its a true trustfire....

Can ask Ric. Think he's going to carry it.