NEW WINNER (Edited) Armytek vs Skilhunt vs Fenix and the winner is....(Skilhunt FAIL)

Skilhunt really does a fine job with headlamps. I really enjoy my H03. I’ve not upgraded as yet, as I’m waiting for the next batch of more efficient emitters to be utilized by Skilhunt.

dont have one unfortunately. read about the magnet replacements on the forums, been a long time.

not only headlamps… I was very impressed with the finish and beam quality of the E2A.

I hope they lower/adjust the prices for the new H300 headlamps.

Love my skilhunt H03. I have been using it on an almost daily basis for the past 4 years.

Im going to order the h300R, will post back with a short review.

I had a Skilhunt because it is highly regarded here. Mine went kaput for no apparent reason. Barely used it. That happens a lot with these off brand Chinese lights. I’m not a modder so when a light stops working like that, I tend to just throw it away. I use a headlight for work so paying $100 for something I use everyday is no big deal. It’s not a toy for me, it’s a tool. I loved my old Spark headlamp until someone stole my tool bag with it in it. I replaced it with the ArmyTec. It’s ok. I didn’t get the warm tint which was a mistake. It’s too throwy for me. I like pure flood because I work at arms length only with a headlamp.

Why is it so hard to find a high CRI headlamp in single 18650 with pure flood?

It’s not. Zebralight (out of Texas) makes several. The 80+cri H604w or the 90+ cri H604c is as floody as floody can get. These are mule lights.

The frosted lens 90+cri H600fd is also very floody.

Mine are older versions

Of the three the OP posted , I’d take the Fenix, just on customer service alone with US service depots. Skillhunt & Armytech are non existent, unless you don’t mind shipping to china.

Which specific model do you have? I doubt there’s anything that’s more fluddy than Armytek but not all models are the same. And yes, warm makes it better.

It’s the Wizard pro XM-L2 wide white light with the lens that looks like a fly eye with all the little dots. I forgot what they call that. I have definitely seen more floody lights. It’s not a spot light by any means but pure flood is what I like with no noticeable hot spot.

That being said, the Wizard has been trouble free and feels solid and well built.

I will look into the Zebra light but I have owned a couple and had a problem with a new one I bought and was not happy with customer service on a defective light that costs $100. Companies like Pelican have great customer support and if I have to send it back, it’s USA based so that makes it easier.

I like the fenix, the problem for me is it is push-hold for light to come on and all my other are push for on. If you push the fenix it goes into a battery diagnostic mode and wont come out until I either 1.) wait or 2.) loosen tailcap, tighten tailcap and then finally push-holddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd to make it finally come on. Then once on if you make the mistake of push-holding to get to next level it shuts off. Now you have to push holddddddddddddd to make it come on again and the quick-push to get to next level. Just stupid and really frustrating!

Its not 1970 any more so why not standardize or at least give the buyer an option. Light manufs could have 4 modes.

Mode 1= push=on hold= next level
Mode 2= push-hold=on click for next level
Mode 1 A/B= Low medium high (with optional firefly)
Mode 2 A/B = High medium low (with optional turbo)

BURN the sos, strobe, disco BS forever

XM-L2. That is version 2 (V2). V3 PRO used a xhp50 with no discernable hot spot. The newest V4 C2 Pro uses a XHP50.2 again with no discernable spot and a few other changes,bigger button, wider bezel, springs at both ends. The lack of a hotspot is what I like most about v3 and v4 over the other headlights that I have.

I have few H03/04’s and love them.

I prefer a simpe UI on my lights. As simple as possible - click for on/off, hold to cycle, mem last used. I don’t play with them, they are work/hunt/outdoor lights and all need to have the same UI - last thing I need when grabbing one of them is to think “is this one click or hold and does it mem last used”.

I agree 100%. Not just in headlamps but also flashlights with modes. That should be the default UI. One of the main things that turns people off about multiple mode lights is when they do something goofy with the UI. I have lights I don’t use because the UI is stupid. I have a nice light someone gave me as a present that is built well and I like everything about it but you have to press the on/off button for like a full second before it responds. I basically don’t use it because this one annoying feature. Who thought that was a good idea?

I love my Zebralight Mk IV H600Fd and Armytek Wizard Pro C2 Nichia in their own way. The FireFlies PL47mu 219b sw45k a tad less.

100% x100

I cant remember what I used last and dont want the flashlight too either. All lights should have a default UI or be capable of being set to one. The only change I see for folks is low/medium/high OR high/medium/low. If there is a long press at start its for red or firefly.
I use red all the time at night for working on animals. It doesnt spook them like a white light. It doesnt draw bugs! I also use it as a night light in our off grid house.

After using all 3 extensively during the winter I have changed my mind. Fenix is the new winner.

The reason for changing my mind is because the Skilhunt has an extremely irratating 3 flash mode with main light once the battery power dips below 3.3v. Its just starts flashing the main light every 60 seconds 3x in a row. Blink-blink-blink while you are trying to work. Dimming to a lower or the lowest level wont fix the issue. I have completely stopped using the skilhunt at this point.

I cleaned the threads on the Fenix over the winter (not sure why a brand new light needed cleaning but oh well) and it resolved the problem at startup of going into a diagnostic mode if you didnt hold the ON button long enough. I now have the hang of it!

Armytek is junk! You cannot push the button with gloves on and its O rings get destroyed when removing cap. I wish I could return it!

Fenix has the most comfortable headstrap by far. Its my goto light at this point and the strap is light-years about the other two. Fenix also has red mode wiich comes after white so I hold my finger over the lens while depressing LONG for red.

So Fenix is the winner!

What do you think of the Lumintop HL3A?

(It's my headlight of choice.)

Fenix’s build quality is top notch. The problem is their click for on but click and hold for off. It’s too unintuitive and I hate it. I rather get Olight with similar or even build quality but with a much more user friendly interface.

Yep. I’ll never buy another Fenix for that reason. UI is awful.

I love the skilhunts I’ve had, and my armyteks took a beating until they didn’t. Their communication, sales tactics and warranty are terrible and I’ll never buy another.

The new 61R I have has a hold=on and a hold=off and a click to change levels once on. Its a Looong hold from off to get to red.

I dont really like the hold-on-off but its not excessive. Its about a .5 second hold on/off and a 1 second for red mode.