New Yakorsei model in Sofirn store...an actual duty-worthy light?

BTW, Funtastic: Just for the record, the only reason I clicked that link in the OP at all was solely due to the mention of the 2-meter impact rating, which was prominently cited by Correllux in the original post. Output levels were not concern or factor in my thinking at all. Output levels are quite easily verified. Impact ratings are EXTREMELY difficult to verify (to say the least), and therefore are among the easiest to “fudge” on with impunity. Those, in particular, are a reason why specs must be published unambiguously and precisely. I realize that if output levels / run times were ‘fudged on’, a capable reviewer like yourself would catch that in a heartbeat.

BTW - What are we gonna go about that SVG!!

Yeah I understand that, but I take all impact ratings with a grain of salt, unless the driver is potted. Can’t really expect much without potting and that puts the price up significantly.

Although I’m a tech pro in the electronics industry, I do not presume reverse-engineer a light to try to determine ruggedness and reliability - nor can I do the required testing. I have to depend on FL1 for that. I understand some feel as you do, which is precisely why the specs need to be correct and clearly presented, why some will attempt to mislead regarding it, and why I’m raising this issue. I can’t state it any more clearly.

The problem is that not every flashlight of that model will carry the same impact rating, unless the driver is potted. ArmyTek pots every model, so can always rely on their rating.

The old Sofirn SP10B had an impact rating of 1 meter, some had issues at 10cm due to the side switch failing. This model had been tested to meet the FL1 standards on their pre production unit.

I don’t test drop ratings in my reviews simply because not every unit is created equal. Electronics are never 100% reliable from one unit to the next. We have to rely on warranties for this reason

Would be nice if it had constant frequency strobe, and strobe mode was memorised.

Funtastic, thanks for the first-hand input…and the graphs! Copy buddy has ordered one to play with and when it gets here it’ll be interesting to have a peek inside.

Double click to strobe….exactly how it should be. Not my cup of tea but for the purpose, it’s a good choice.

Stephenk……no. Just no. :slight_smile: Not for LEO use (i.e. “tactical”). Strobe has very specific application and effects here and in fact there has a been a ton of research and testing on various strobe rates and intensities - certainly do not want a constant there, nor to activate it accidentally. This light actually seems to have put it all together correctly for the purpose, if it’s dependable in terms of the driver and impact resistance anyway.

Gotta remember that the ANSI ratings are a) voluntary, and b) were achieved after much infighting and resistance by manufacturers, not consumers. Much like IPX ratings (as well as things like water filtration/purification) there’s no real enforcement or firm protocol, just guidelines (and some guidelines on testing equipment and procedure, but it’s still all very, very open to both interpretation as well as implementation). Imperfect to be sure but still a handy baseline. Honesty and integrity from manufacturers is another thing entirely……I firmly believe that the majority don’t even DO any testing in this regard and/or that it’s perfunctory at best, falling short of decent test procedures.

Couldn’t find any videos….that brand name appears to be a black hole in google.

Fins….ears….magic tabs. :slight_smile: Personally I dislike lights that have proud buttons like this but for genuine LEO/tactical use, this is what you want. Allows many more positions with quick activation and no confusion or fumbling to find it, including some of those odd hand positions when held together with a firearm. They’re not at all concerned with tailstanding and such.

Research has shown that 100% of light painters need a constant frequency strobe, and need to access it from off with a single click of hold :wink:
The funny thing is, if these manufacturers have an alternating frequency strobe for the tacticool crowd, most of them don’t advertise that fact. So they might as well have any strobe as the buyers don’t know any better. The only manufacturer I’ve seen that actually advertises that their strobe as alternating frequency is Nitecore.

Per’aps light painters should not buy tactical lights? Especially “tactical” lights that are aiming to be the real thing for those using them for work? :slight_smile: This is not the droid you are looking for…

The problem is there are now very few commercial grade lights suitable for light painters - tactical or untactical. Some of the better ones are tactical lights with 2 stage/dual tail switches, with instant access to strobe but now few of these manufacturers are using constant frequency strobes (and one of those just screwed things up with a proximity sensor). With lights trending towards side switches, alternating frequency strobe, and hidden/non-memorized strobes, it’s rather slim pickings now.

Well, point of this thread was more toward law enforcement and security - those who really need/use “tactical” in the meaning of the word as it once was. More simplistic needs but also fairly specific and that market is somewhat slim pickings as well (and/or limited in tech advancement). When he receives this light it will not go into service but it’s something to test out and have as a backup. His department issues duty lights and then they have a pretty narrow list of approved officer-paid alternative lights, but they can have backup and assist lights of anything they want to. First and foremost it needs to be dependable and able to handle a few good knocks without crapping out…then the UI and strobe need to be direct and applicable to actual tactical use and unconcerned with consumer or enthusiast features.

Painting isn’t my thing either (as tactical/duty lights are not my thing at all) but it’s pretty cool. I’ve looked at your photos and lots of others…really neat what you guys create! I wonder if your efforts might be best served encouraging a company to produce a programmable driver…say, forego usb charging but use that port interface for a pc program where light levels and strobes could be manipulated to suit? Some lights back in the day had similar programmable pc features, which I always thought was awesome, not sure why it disappeared. That would be more digestible for the average user as opposed to flashing firmware. If there’s a market for it (i.e. enough sales for the initial output expenses) maybe someone will jump on it.

There are a few specially designed or modded flashlights specifically for light painters, but they are all more than $110. Anduril strobes are good, but there are a very limited number of Anduril lights suitable for connecting with light painting tools. In the budget area of less than $45, there is nothing half-decent with instant access to constant frequency strobe from off.

Yakorsei GD12 Flashlight Kit Review! My Deal Saves You 50% off! - YouTube Charles bridgtec review from 10 months ago. I don’t doubt that police and others around the world have looked at strobes especially over the last few years with all the protests around the world. Partly they probably want to understand what they can do to shield themselves from strobes. I’m not convinced that a lone police officer needs quick and easy access to strobe. If there’s a serious threat they are going to reach for other things first.

Well there’s my problem…been spelling it with an L instead of an i. :slight_smile: Bridgtec…nice style and design, well greased threads…what else. Haha. Well, certainly doesn’t look special in terms of ruggedness and drop resistance from what he shows us with the tube removed. Thanks for linking!

Previous thread for reference (doesn’t really say anything pertinent about the driver or impact rating): How do you think about YAKORSEI GD12 TNO flashlight ?

Doesn’t seem tactical to me, though it does have SOS if you need help.

I was modding an EDC light today and was thinking of you. I used the latest version 8x7135 driver from Simon, which has a lot of mode groups and memory on/off option (link), and I just noticed that just as normal modes the blinkies are memorised in this driver, so directly accessable from off. Btw, the driver is very nice, and cheap and has unnoticable pwm in the normal modes. For me, to be able to switch off memory is essential. Love it!

Is that Biscotti/12-Group UI. It is almost perfect for light painters (for a reverse clicky), but is ruined by the alternating frequency strobe.

:person_facepalming: yes, now you mention it I checked, strobe is alternating alright :frowning:

If the strobe was constant frequency there would have been hundreds of extra sales to light painting photographers. I’m sure no one has purchased the S2+ just because it has an alternating frequency strobe.