Newb: Need flashlight for security work.

Hi,

New to flashlights in general i am currently working night shifts on a security job and am in dyer need of a flashlight, for now i want a small, durable rain proof flash light that i could easily store on my person as i do not drive currently taking lessons.

Budget will be around 30GBP about $46USD.

Torches i had in mind are as following:

LED Lenser Police Tech Focus 115lumen model in Cobal Blue ( i really like the case )

vs

Fenix LD series in the same price range unsure which one due to so many within pounds of each other.

Thanks in advance please refrain from turning this in to an argument or debate about flashlights.

To keep things simple:
The LD12 or LD10 (depending on which kind of User Interface you want) if you want to use 1xAA, LD22 or LD20 if you want to use 2xAA Batteries.
Nitecore MT1A/MT2A are good alternatives to the Fenix LD Series.
1xAA = smaller, 2xAA = more runtime/more lumens

But that’s part of what BLF is about :weary:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002855/1309001-roche-f8-cree-xm-l-t6-3c-886-lumen-2-group-35-mode

This is also, our preferred Reseller: Fasttech

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001842/1217800-nitecore-ea4w-cree-xm-l-u2-ha-iii-8-mode-860-lumen

Nitecore EA8. Coupon code " PRICECONTROL " will bring down the price a bit.

Plenty of power in a compact package, and it runs off regular AA batteries, or rechargeable nimh batteries.

If you're working security, find out if your company/boss provide batteries.

+1, Also good choice…

If you like Led Lenser, take a look at this one T7 I presume a Led Lenser T7 in all but name, and is under budget. IMO the LL t7 is better than the Police Tech, mine has taken a hell of lot of abuse and has been totally reliable.

thanks for all the replies, is that a legit T7 in the link the prices are less than half of anywhere else on the internet, i think the brand led lenser is definitely what i want to go for and if that T7 is really going for £16 how can i say no to that? Just wish they did it in Cobolt Blue really like the look of the police tech but in terms of specs it seems overpriced compared to the T7 for half the price.

>(fail quote lol) “If you like Led Lenser, take a look at this one ”T7”:http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10003915/1283002-t7-7439-200-lumen-2-mode-waterproof-zooming-led-fl I presume a Led Lenser T7 in all but name, and is under budget. IMO the LL t7 is better than the Police Tech, mine has taken a hell of lot of abuse and has been totally reliable”

Edit: The t7 in the link has lower specs to what is posted on the led lenser website and weighs around 40grams less is it a different version? also has the brand scrubbed off the torch on the picture.

Big thanks to xMint and Flomotion just ordered myself an LED Lenser T7 from fasttech for £15.99 with BLF coupon code saved me £15, what a bargain shame it isn’t in blue though haha.

>>>Post Closed<<< Thanks!!

A standard P60 from say, Solarforce, will do for your needs. The L2N and L2T seem to be favs around here and the prestigious Foy posts some wonderful reviews.

XinTD C8

Solarforce P1d review

Solarforce L2N review

Solarforce L2T review

+1 for the Roche F8s from FT as above. There's a HUGE selection of driver ratings and LED tints to choose from to satisfy your specific need.

If you get a standard P60 host with a XP-G2 drop-in at 1.5amps on high you could run a full two hours with 400+lms otf with a good battery.

+1 to Solarforce. I would suggest an L2P and they even come in blue. An L2P would be a good starter that you could easily re-sell if you decide it won’t fit your need long term. If your employer supplies batteries find out if they’ll supply CR123A’s and get a 8.4V drop-in for it if they do. Otherwise get a 4.2V drop-in and two 18650 batteries, a charger and a Niteyez Pock-Itz holster (which will carry your light, a spare battery or 2 if you go with CR123A’s, a phone and if you carry a Leatherman style multi-tool.

a uk employer is highly unlikely to provide cr123 cells, they just dont see much use over here.

Get a solarforce L2P and a nice drop in. Very durable and waterproof. If something go wrong with it you can easily fix it. I am in the profession and have outfitted over a hundred LEOs, Correctional officers, maintenance guys and Firefighters with these setups and everyone loves them. You can make them look pretty too.

Hope you enjoy the flashlight! You will have to post once you get it and let us know what you think.

That was a great find by the way. I like the LED Lenser Zoomies as they have more powerful options such as the T7 with its nice 4xAAA form factor. The total internal reflection lens is a nice bonus too.
It would be nice if there was an XM-L zoomie that used standard batteries, but there isn’t as far as I know (or it tries to use 3xAAAs which is stupidly underdriven). So big Thumbs Up for that recommendation.
———————

I highly recommend getting a Universal Battery Charger (that does AAA,AA,C,D) to go along with it and then get some LOW SELF DISCHARGE NiMH batteries (if batts are not provided for you).
The LSD ensures that the batteries don’t poop out over time nearly as fast as normal cheap ones. Sanyo Eneloop are a forum favorite…I like AccuEvolution too.

The nice thing about this charger is that you can use it for a lot of electronics around the house. If you have kids/toys/family, you will find lots of uses for the NiMH charger in the future! Trust me!

wahey langcjl is back 8)

Along similar lines to this. POP lite’s seem to be a Led Lenser too, I suspect made at the same factory (Led Lensers are made in China).

The POP lites seem to claim regulation and slightly higher outputs. No idea if either is true.

Last month I purchased the POP lite T33

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000890/1075602-pop-lite-t33-cree-xp-e-r3-220lm-white-led-zoom-fla

This is a 3xAAA light.

I’m really impressed with it. It’s compact (similar to a Solorforce L2M but more sleek). I love the single mode and momentary. Flood is good and it has a superb throw for such a small light.

Only downer is runtime is not massive, but on par with 14500/RCR123 lights I have (similar mAh and voltage as 3xAAA)

Note POP lite claim 220 lumens and specs on DX’s website say it’s regulated. I’ve been using mine with Eneloop NiMh cells and it does seem very consistent in output (visually) up until it suddenly dims massively. I’m not sure if this is just the NiMh chemistry at work or if it is maintaining a regulated output. All I can say is, it dims far less than the “regulated” Trustfire Z8 and Trusfire BLF Mini torches I own do.

This month I also got the POP lite T34
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000890/1075604-pop-lite-t34-ha-iii-cree-xp-e-q3-2-mode-220lm-whit

This seems to be a direct copy/alternative of the Led Lenser P7/T7, although DX again claims it’s regulated. Also both of these are XP-E equipped while I thought the original Led Lenser was an XR-E emitter).

The T34 I’m less impressed with then the T33. It uses the same TIR optic, but has a thicker metal head. And the body is bigger to accomodate the 4xAAA batteries.

I have no idea what the extra AAA battery does, I suspect longer runtime, but I’ve not been able to validate this. Output is the same as the T33.

The T34 is a multimode light though. And works exactly the same as the animation on the Led Lenser website, offering 3 different outputs. If you half press the switch (momentary) you get “boost” mode. This is maybe slightly brighter than the T33 (the T33 doesn’t have this boost mode, but does have momentary).

Fully click the switch and you get the normal On, which is high. Slightly dimmer than boost.

If you click the switch again you get low, then again to turn it off. What I don’t like, is to turn it off from high, you have to click twice.

Next month I’m going to get the T7 to compare to the T33 & T34 POP lites. My expectation is the T33 will still be the preferred one.

In fact the T33 is easily in my top 3 favourite lights ever. It really is very nice to use and very affective in almost any situation.

+1

I’d take a look at the fast tech Convoy line. Plenty of reviews.