:) Newbie from SoCal

Welcome . . . a female flashaholic? I'm having a hard time understanding how this works . . . who yells at you for buying too many flashlights?

flummoxedFoy

Thanks, Viktori. :) What exactly is an XM-L? Does BLF have a stickied thread with flashlight lingo + definitions? Tried searching, but I'm not sure I was using the correct search terms.

Thank you, Foy. haha Best get used to it, guys! The interest sparked from EDC and knives.

Hi and welcome! :slight_smile:

XM-L is one of LEDs that can be often found in flashlights, due to being one of most suitable ones for them (another ones are XP-G for smaller lights (AA / AAA ones) and XR-E for thrower (long distance) flashlights).

Terminology - Flashlight Wiki - here’s a brief “dictionary” of flashlight world.

Welcome to BLF Moo. Buy a trustfire x9. Would be good for search and rescue.

Kinda surprised you didn't ask for a picture. Well maybe on the third post.

See how cool guys here are? When they meet a real girl no one wants to be direct and ask for a picture. :)

Politeness in abundance. If all guys were like this, the human race would've extinct eons ago. :)

In any case, we've had plenty of so called girls here. It's time we know for sure. Moo, I speak for myself, but I'd love to see a pic of you in full gear.

At 4' 10" you would probably be a tad bit higher than my elbows. I'm 6' 3" and 250lbs.

I'm not sure if I have a picture of myself in full gear - I know I have one of me making fire (primitive firemaking course) and another while rockclimbing somewhere around here. But I should be able to get it on Friday since the team is putting together a collage for our 1 year anniversary. :D My HD burned recently, so all of my stuff is gone. :(

"so-called" girls? People pose as girls here? o_O Weird.

Not forum members per se. We suspect several of our vendor / customer service reps with made up English girl names are really guys. It's ok, we have fun with it.

I can think of one male member who created a female alter-ego here, but that's a story for another day....

Welcome to the BLF, mooshisho. Congrats on getting in to your first choice school !

Welcome to the family, Mooshisho! It's awesome that you are into knives and EDC gear!

Be prepared to catch the flashlight fever. Your first XM-L and you'll be hooked. Don't worry though, you are in good company and Dr. Mac and all the other physicians here are ready to assist with your condition. I'm afraid it may be without cure. In fact, for getting into your first choice of school (congrats on that!) I think you should treat yourself to a DRY triple or a Skyray King. Better to just get it over with and spend the money now before you spend it on other stuff first and STILL end up getting one.

Johnny

PS: I'd rather see the pic of you rock climbing than one in full gear. Better yet, do you surf or swim??

Thank you, everyone. :)

haha Johnny, I'm still learning the lingo. :P But it's true - I was going to treat myself to a new knife (thinking of Mini Griptilian) after getting that acceptance letter, but I might be holding off on a new knife and getting a kickass light instead. :)

:D I just got my Sipik Sk68 today. It's so cute! :) My dad was very surprised at the brightness (I was using a regular Rayovak brand AA). I think I'll pick up a couple more to put in everyone's cars.

Wait till you try it on 14500 cell. ;)

I know, you need the new cell, the charger, etc etc, but you'll be the coolest flashlight girl on the continent. ;)

:P I will once I figure out which batteries and charger to buy. :) What would your recommendation be?

What's the difference between protected and unprotected batteries anyway?

TrustFire 900mAh 14500’s seem to be one of the best, and they’re not very expensive too - just $6 for a pair.

For a charger - Xtar MP1S (single-bay) or WP2 II (dual-bay) seem to be good ones, but make sure you use 0.5A (500 mA) charge current - 1A is just too much for tiny 14500's.

Unprotected battery = raw Li-Ion cell, protected battery is same cell but with added PCB to prevent battery from getting overcharged, overdischarged, etc.

If you're new to Li-Ion cells, I'd strongly recommend using only protected ones.

Hey, any news here? What else did you get in the last month? :)