Newbie needs help with choosing flashlight

Okay, okay. I'm pretty much narrowed down on the fact that I want the KD C8. But I have two questions about it:

1. Is the orange peel or smooth reflector better?

2. Do I get the XTAR charger/battery deal for $22, or do I get the trustfire charger/flames?

Second, I'm thinking about getting the Sipik sk68 as a small pocketable light. But I'm wondering if there's anything that is better within that size/price range?

Is this a good deal? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250599356817&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_6799wt_1080

Thanks Be-Seen Triker! How much would you say the OP deadens the throw?

just to point out. there are plenty of reviews of chargers. Tr-001 is one of the MEH. but if its one thing ive learned in my time buying flashlights (esp with the help of this site) is that if you cheapen out, you just keep buying

honestly, it has overcharged my batteries, even when watching it (caught it at 4.3V, so im lucky)

I bought the trustfires when they were newer out (tho had been out a while, maybe a few months) and has nothing but bad luck

When were talking high draw flashlights, I would hate to tell a noobie to take off the protection if it isnt working right. While protection doesnt fix all, thats just really BAD advise.

also, i SERIOUSLY abuse flashlights. My p60s are RARELY picked up. And i have some cheapo and nice ones. My leds DID de-dome, at only 2.8 amps. after about .8 hours on high. that was with a TRUSTFIRE lol. so who knows, maybe it started to draw high.

but for a first seriously good flashlight, skip the p60. those are good for later modding.

C-series have all been good from all manufactures ive bought from, so id stick with those. Also for modding, the Aurora V6 is a great host too. even for an XML. you can get the empty host on DX as well

I recommend people interested in modding and such, to get a hobby charger, and a solid flashlight thats moddable with sufficient heat sinking.

26 bux is hardly too much money for an everything charger. Not sure how much the IMAX is, but the accucell is cheap and sufficient. not to mention has stuck to its name.

why waste the money on a tr-001 when for only 16 bux more you can get a 10x better product? were not talking about spending 100s of dollars on CPF crap!

its still uber budget friendly. and super easy to use!

in fact i spent 28 bux each on TWO Soshine multi-chargers... now THATS a waste of money. but hey, thats what were here for.

we share our experiences so the new people can skip some of those steps we screwed up on.

actually, im thinking about converting those soshine chargers into shells to use for my accucell 6.

also, on the OP vs SM reflector. I prefer OP, not much has seemed to be lost in comparable flashlights from OP, and the beam is usually much smoother.

of course thats with P60 lights ;-)

Okay I have just a couple more questions:

1. Is the TF TR001 or TR002 charger better?

2. Do I really need these for my Sipik s68? Or will eneloops do just as well?

Thanks guys, your help is really appreciated!

The TR001 is the one I have, and, I think is better. Why?

2 channels

12 volt input

Good algorithm.... (in my opinion)

The sipik will work with both NiMh or 14500. But with these -> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-14500-3-7v-900mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-26124?r=43033281 you will have a lot more output (silicone grease under the star required!)

Thanks fran!

I'm getting my DX order together... Are there any coupons I should be aware of?

unfortunately not.

what happened to your C8 idea? or are you getting a bunch now? lol

Thanks xp.1337! Oh, I'm still getting the KD C8. ;)

I have had some luck with the C series lights I built the C2 kit from DX but protected batteries don't fit in it.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2023

I bought a KDC8 that was nice than I bought a T-mart C8 the pill was hollow aluminum and the head was not completely machined to accept the standard C8 pill so unlike a lousy P60 host this thing was useless.

KDC8 pill left Tmart Ultrafire C8 pill right hollow junk

KDC8 head left fully machined Tmart Ultrafire C8 pill right machining

to accept standard C8 pill incomplete standard C8 pill wil not fit

The switch was absolute garbage on the Tmart /Ultrafire C8 also

In my opinion you really need to be careful with the C series lights stick with the KDC8.

Get the xtar chargers. They're the only ones w/ proper algorithm. Hobby chargers unfortunately need magnets and clips which are not safe and only do one at a time. Good for hobby charging, not optimal for flashlights.

C2, fits a protected battery for me lol. just requires a bit more force to get her in there lol.

cut the springs

also i refuse to buy from tmart.... ive seen the price spikes and such, but yea, gotta be careful

i also bought the manafont C8 for modding and that had a solid pill (palight R2)

depends on where you get it and the manuf. on it

p60 is very easy to mod, but at those draws they just dont have the ability to shed the heat.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Here's what I got:

* pair Trustfire protected 18650

* pair Trustfire protected 14500

* Trustfire TR001 charger (the reason I got it above the xtar is that it will charge the 14500 cells)

* Sipik SK68

* KD C8

I got all that for less than $60.

You are going to have a lot of fun when that stuff gets there.

Oh it will be a blast. My neighbors may not appreciate it (their walls shining brightly after dark)! :P

Way to go, Getemer, way to go. Probably the two best value lights on the planet.

Thanks VFMaddict! I can hardly wait to get them! Oh how I wish shipping was faster from China!!! :D